• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking at a 14 Foot Boat

Hory

boat.jpg

I am in the market for a small 14 foot fishing boat for a shallow river and some of the smaller lakes in my area. This boat popped up, and as it sits would cost me around 500-600$. Would you consider it worth it? How much would a trailer and motor run me? Does this boat seem to be suitable for shallow/small water (nothing over 10 feet in the river and lakes all around or under 300 acres) Sorry this post seems to be asking a lot...but I know that the people on here are much more knowledgable than me, a college student who has never owned a boat! Thanks for any help!

if your looking for a small 14 footer like that, i would think you could get a better deal on a boat+motor+trailer package then buying that boat for 600 and then looking for a separate motor and trailer... try c list.. thats where i got my boat.. there are tons of 14 footers on there with the exact package your looking for

My dad always said never look to hard at the first one, there are others at a better price. I sold a boat (Alumacraft) 14ft. remodled.. Motor (15 hp)Merc and trailer for $1500 several years back and trust me..... you can find a package deal for about the same $$$$$$ and be very happy. I would buy it back in heartbeat for my son, Good Luck.

As a college student,I would first have a place to keep it safe and out of the weather, since your studies keep you from fishing EVERYDAY......and what you towing it with?

Just a thought....

The others have given you great advice on looking for a package deal first unless you know you can build the package cheaper( dad has motor you can use )

The boat that you have a picture of could be very easy to tip over with the front seat mounted that high on such a narrow boat.

A boat that is that small and narrow is not nearly as stable as a wider boat such as a S-14 Lund compared to the C-14 version.If you like to stand up and cast when you are in the boat it will make a big difference.

One more thing to keep a eye on when you are searching the ads

you would have atleast $1500.00 into it when it is all said and done. A cheap trailer from n******* is $425 with tax and a used motor is between $500.00 to $1000.00

$500.00 Boat

$425.00 Trailer

$500.00 Motor

$1425.00 total

if the motor was $1000.00

then it would be $1925.00 total.

fishinfey8 I emailed you. Thanks so much for the information. I would probably do a little standing and casting, so the idea of the boat being wider and stable makes sense. I still haven't found what I'm looking for. My biggest issue is the river I am fishing can get pretty shallow in summer, but I don't really want to go to a jon-boat like many people on it use because I do hit up some other small lakes where a v-hull would be more useful. I do have a Grand Prix that could pull a small boat, and my parents have an SUV which I could use when at home for summer whenever I needed. Thanks again for everything, and I will gladly take any pointers or specific examples of packages that might fit my needs. (price range anywhere from $500-$1300)

I bought a 12ft boat last year that some old timer spent a lot of time building a deck for...it looks pretty identical to that setup. It came with seats and posts but I've never used more than just the seats. It's too tippy and I'm considering going back to a bench design. IMO - there is no reason to put a casting deck in such a small boat. If you want to stand and cast, then get a boat that is designed for it.

Like many others on here, we all started out with 14ft aluminum boats. That should be a good route for you as well. Someday you can always upgrade, and you won't have problems selling the 14 footer. It's one of the few boats that rarely changes in value.