• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota vs. Xavier

Coach1310

So what does everyone think of the matchup?? Xavier is solid, close losses to Marquette, Temple, Richmond, Kansas State, Butler, and Wake Forest.... blowout loss to Dayton. Big wins... Richmond, Kent State and Rhode Island.. so only 1 win vs. a tournament team....

They are pretty tough on the permieter and they have the banger inside to match up with Iverson.

The Gophs have played well down the stretch and I like their chances. They should have a decent crowd at the game and have to feel a little bit like they have nothing to lose, so hopefully that is a good thing.

My main concerns are the same as they have been all year... they don't really have a player who can break teams down off the dribble to score, kick out to the shooters or slide the dump off pass across the lane. It really hurts them late in the shot clock I think, but they have been managing it as of late, so we'll see. I really wish Tubby would play Sampson and Iverson together more... their Hi-Lo game and ability to create a mismatch makes life difficult, but it will make it tougher for us to matchup on the defensive end too.

I think the odds are better that the Gophers don't show up like they did vs. Michigan, than that Xavier doesn't show up, but I'm still taking the Gophers in an upset by 4 in OT... probably a homer pick, but hey, I have to get at least one wrong in my brackets!

If they can get the inside-out game going between Iverson, Hoffarber, and Joseph they should have a good chance.

Xavier has a good, athletic wing player that Damian Johnson will have his hands full with.

Tubby needs to find a way to make them think it's them against the world. When no one on the Gophs were select to the Big 10 anything he was ticked. It showed in the tourney. They played with a purpose

Tough loss but there are plenty of things to be optimistic about. After all, Westbrook will be gone! Thanking himself for toughing it out? Give me a break! He should just be thankful Tubby kept him around and keep his mouth shut.

Dennis Dodd should be fired from CBS. His rumor reported as fact was horrible journalism, plain and simple. The announcing crew for MN vs. Xavier spent more effort on the unsubstantiated rumor in the 2nd half than they did on the game. It was great when Tubby was interviewed afterwards and threw cold water on that garbage. The NCAA should also look at a different network when their contract with CBS is up as well. Sometimes the games are better with the sound off. No shot clock before about 10 seconds? What's up with that?

I was only able to watch bits and pieces, but I saw Iverson block a few shots and everybody bricking jumpshots from the outside. Tired legs = missed jumpshots.

Disappointing loss. Thought they had a good shot at knocking of Xavier and giving Pitt a run for its money.....

It was a slow Friday so I cheated and buzzed home to watch the game. Thought they had a chance the way they played the 1st half. Went to the barn (my barn), fed the bottle lamb, made some lunch then got indigestion watching the second half and listening to the crew speculating about Tubby's future whereabouts. I had MN winning a couple but had forgotten where Crawford went after leaving IN so that oversight really horsed up my office pool chances in that bracket. He killed them when he played for Kelvin Sampson too. Not much hi-lo action in the 2nd half because they were too busy as you say launching ill advised bricks and allowing fast break buckets on the other end, frequently fouling and adding +1. Those 3 balls are sure nice when you hit 'em but Katie bar the door when you get behind, force 'em up and they don't. The hole gets dug deeper pretty fast.