• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bought a Can Am

Walleye Inn

Picked up a 09 400EFI Can Am yesterday..holdover. Saw it at the Sportsmans Show in Fargo last Friday and they had a good price and I never thought he would still have one come Monday but I was curious and he did so I couldn't say no. Can't wait to play with the new "toy" this weekend! I know its a bit late to ask but anyone had any problems with this model?

Thanks and I was surprised at how light it actually felt and could lift the back end off the ground for being a heavy can am (I haven't even been eating my wheaties lately). This was the first year for the 400 having EFI so I'm hoping no bugs in it. I got him to throw in a free front bumper and front rack extention which looks like it will be nice with all that plastic on the front that should have a bit of protection. I'll work on getting a pic up Sunday evening after I put a few miles on it.

The 400 Outlander will run with most 500 class machines. I haven't seen or heard of any bad things relating to the motor. Earlier models had an issue with squeaky brakes. Not sure if that was fixed or not.

A dumb question but is there a fuel reserve switch on Can Am's in case you run out? I'm used to Polaris and being stuck at work is getting in the way of looking around the machine or reading the manual but I don't remember seeing one? Thanks for your guys input.

No fuel reserve switch. I have an 09 650 and was wondering the same thing when I was on my first trip.

With the weak frame, there is an easy way to tighten that up a bit. You need about 15ft of 1in square tubing. On the back end near the hitch you will see a 1x3in plate on the end of the rectangular main frame. Simply cut that off with a torch, insert the tubes (3 of them), cut to length, and then weld the end cap back on. Seen this on another site and it's worked well for me. It's worth the small hassle as I've seen these frames get bent by simply hitting a 4in tree at 10mph. They aren't strong at all w/o some reinforcement.

Enjoy your new ride, they are nice.

I like that idea of reenforcing the frame but am wondering how that would affect the 3.5yr warranty? I'm going to hope to stay away from those 4inch and up diameter trees too! almost time to hop on it and sneak out town and take it for its first cruise. Gator bait does your 650 start right up in -20 weather being EFI? Do you like the 4wheel drive system? Have you pulled anything large with it(fishhouse or anything)?

My first ride was -25 in January. I never had a problem starting it right up. I had some special Heet for it just in case but never needed it. 4x4 has been very nice, definitely a noticeable difference and no hard turning, no complaints there. I haven't pulled much, the other day I yanked a 40ft tree out of another tree that we cut down and pulled several 500lb chunks around. It's a workhorse and has put my Polaris to shame already. The best thing I like is the independent suspension, trail riding is like riding in a luxury vehicle.

I can't believe I havn't found a Can Am hater in the crowd after reading prior bickering but I think thats good!? I'm liking my purchase even more now. Thanks again and now I just gotta start testing it out myself. Going to nice to it for awhile to break it in...at least til this weekend.

I can't believe I havn't found a Can Am hater in the crowd after reading prior bickering but I think thats good!?

Every machine has it's flaws and everybody is different with what they like! There are always bad apples out there! Personally I drive a 650 kawasaki brute and would drive nothing else except for a can am if i had to pick a different brand! Gotta love the V-Twins that kawi and can am put out!

Actually the one I bought is a 2008 and is EFI. Its a later year 2008 I guess. I asked the dealership today about it having a reserve switch and he said it does not have one but its built in and when the fuel gauge says empty you still have a half tank. I put a pic up of mine on the pics of wheelers thread. I didn't get out last night on it b/c of the pouring rain but maybe tonight.

I bought an 08 Outlander Max XT 400 EFI before christmas (a little gift for myself) and love the thing. Gets me anywhere I wanted to go on the lake. Put chains on the rear was/is a good idea. It's got enough power, pulled a pickup out of a drift on the lake this winter, it took a couple of pulls and a little shoveling but we got it out.

I have a 400 OutMaxXT and have had zero issues. I don't ride as hard as most of you and only have about 1000 miles on it but you will love it. That's with no knock on any other brands. It is a sweet ride for sure. I seem to always have a passenger(kids) so the 2up can't be beat.

I have an 07 XT 500 and it's been a great machine! It was the only thing that started right up in -35 below weather while out hunting in ND - Had to jump start 2 Polaris wheelers and a truck off it.

Gator has good advice about strengthening the frame and it shouldn't void the warranty - just make sure you disconnect the battery so you don't fry the computer when welding on the frame.

The only issue I've had is the sensor that allows you to start the wheeler in gear has been replaced 3 times under warranty.

Have fun riding!