• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with ideas for sharptailed grouse shots?

I saw some amazing sharp tailed grouse images on this site last year. Can anyone give some ideas or feedback about how to get in touch with someone to use blinds to photograph this species at their lek sites?

Time of year that is best?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Shawn Zierman.

The ones we used last year are administered by the DNR. They are reserved, first come, first serve. They are usually reserved well ahead. Steve arranged for our shoot with another FM'r. If he feels comfortable getting you two together I'll let him respond. I was a tag along. If I remember correctly, we went early April. It was great!

Ken I thought I was going out of my mind because I thought it was the first week of April and I could not find any of my shots. I really thought I had deleted them or something until I started checking on some later dates and found the right folder.

Another note. Many of the blinds are set up for folks with binoculars and are not oriented correctly for photographers. In other words, they are not close enough to the lek. I think that's because the folks who put them up are a bit worried about spooking the birds off the lek. In my experience, however, as long as you are quiet (truly quiet), you can have the blind within 20 feet of those birds and they don't mind a bit.

When Ken and I did our shoot, the blind was over 75 yards from the lek, which we couldn't be sure of until the first two/three scout birds came in while it was still half light before sunrise. It's typical that a few scouts show up well in advance of the main flock. We saw them land way out there and decided to move the blind closer. So we moved it right up there, scaring off the scout birds, but then full flock came in 15 minutes later. None of those birds were disturbed in the least, and they put on quite a show. Ken had his 500, and I was shooting a 300/1.4 combo and we were plenty close. If memory serves, Jim used his 100-400 the day after Ken and I were there, and he got some great shots with it once the sun was on the birds. Tripods are a must in this setting.

Anyway, when you call to reserve, be sure to investigate how far the blind is from the lek, and if there's room for photographic gear. You also have to worry about where they are set up relative to the rising sun. Of course you want the early morning sun directly behind you, and not all the blinds will be that way.

That isn't typical of the blinds, Steve. The one we set up North of Bemidji is on the lek, birds dance right up to the door!

Search for Minnesota Sharp-tailed Grouse Society on the web. As someone stated above, under "Resources" all of the MN blinds are listed. The blinds were all paid for and/or built by the MSGS and donated to the MNDNR. We should be adding at least 1 more this Spring. You can also click on "Contact Us" and fire me an e-mail and I'll do what I can to get a blind reserved for you!

All through April and into May is good. From April 15th to May 1st is prime.

Don't forget to join MSGS to help keep these blinds up and running. There are also some great events this Spring that allow you to view the sharptails dancing in groups. These will be listed on the HSOforum.

Long live the fire-bird!

Last spring I went at the end of April and sat in a blind at the Prairie Chicken Lek in Glacial Ridge. I witnessed both Prairie Chickens as well as Sharptails, and have to say it is an experience that is beyond words. The birds were close....as in close measured in inches. Many times birds danced on top of the blind I was sitting in. Being quiet is important to being close...as even whispering seemed to push them away a bit. I shot with the 20d and 70-200 f4. Focal length was not a problem, but I did crave more speed...as the closest and best action took place early morning.

The blind information came to me via The Nature Conservancy.

That isn't typical of the blinds, Steve.

I know not all blinds are situated alike, and the ones that you guys have control over are in the right places.

I made the recommendation simply because a photographer who guesses at a thing like that -- and guesses wrong -- probably just got sucky images and wasted a trip. Just a reminder that it's better to check ahead of time than cuss when you get there. smilesmile

Crex Meadow does have blinds but you have to be a member to use then. That said membership is cheap and Crex is a great place to photograph verything from warblers to wolfs. They have lots of activities and hold a couple to photography seminaries every year.