• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Final five 2010

cbrooks

Oh the fun of another Gopher/Sioux weekend. The Sioux deserved to move on to the final five, they are the better team and showed it over the course of 3 games this weekend. The Gophers really had them right where they wanted them, playing the 3rd game on the road, tied in the 2nd with 5 minutes of power play in front of them and they can't convert. Typical of this years gophers.

On the hit, clearly dirty, he should probably get one game off by the league. I think Doug and Frank went a little overboard but they were at least going in the right direction. How many sioux players have had serious injuries due to dirty hits in the past 5 years? I remember hearing a lot of outrage when its your player down, funny how blind they are when its their player throwing the hit.

To everyone commenting on Blais coaching the gophers, you do realize ha was a player and assistant coach for the Gophers in the 70's right??? He's got pretty strong ties to both schools, if you cut him I can promise you he doesn't bleed green.

Yep. Knew he was a Gopher player and all... On the serious injuries due to hits. 95% are checking from behind and this was just boarding, personally I was surprised he didn't come back in the game. Maybe they were hoping the refs would sit Frattin?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Bear55
To everyone commenting on Blais coaching the gophers, you do realize ha was a player and assistant coach for the Gophers in the 70's right??? He's got pretty strong ties to both schools, if you cut him I can promise you he doesn't bleed green.

Yeah, but Sioux fans like to remember what he did FOR us, not what he did TO us. winkwink

Between Blais and Badger Bob we know that "TO US" feeling all to well.

THe hit was pretty bad, I have seen worse, It wasnt just that he left his feet. He had about 6 strides and hit him in the head. He should miss a game. Maybe he can go back to Grand Forks and throw toasters in the Street again. wasnt that this guy who got kicked off the team once already this year. Classy program....

Besides this hit, I thought the reffing was pretty terrible. Most of the penalties on the Gophers were a joke. All but 1 maybe. But then you had a few obvious penalties on the Gophs that werent called. I saw the Gophers off-sides 5 times with no whistle.

That said besides a little cheap play by the Sioux here and there, I thought it was another pretty boring game between 2 mediocre teams.

Also, I really dont see how a Sioux fan can call another player a goon. Pretty funny. Lucia is actually really good at keeping it clean out there. He is just the only physical Gopher so it is easy to not like him.

BRMuskie, they announced 10,500 fans. So i will be very liberal and give you 500 hockey players in the rink.

Either way, both teams will reload and hopefully put better teams on the ice next year. All I can do is hope for a completed pass and a shot that doesnt get blocked for the Gophs.

GO Bulldogs and SCSU

Originally Posted By: PierBridge

No suprises in the first round matchups as expected.

I'll be back with my picks after the WCHA hands out it's punishment and we know if he's "frattin" booted from the entire tournament like he should be or its just a slap on the wrist like is expected for the cheap shot with the sole intent to injure hit.

Intent to injure? How about "light him up"... Too bad he got excited and left his feet when he saw that Gopher sitting with the puck not making progress. I really wish he wouldn't have left his feet because the result would have been virtually the same on his a** laying there. Personally, I've taken harder hits in my day from behind. So if they suspend him it's a joke! Especially since it's the Sioux's best offensive player. The complaining continues... If the rodents would have won, this hit would be on the back burner.

Typical defense of another legendary cheap-shot by the Canadian led Sioux hacks....YAWN!

Along with leaving his feet it was charging, elbowing, interfernce and delivering a blow to the head! His intent was to injure the player. Even reasonable minded Sioux fans haves agreed he should be suspended over this, just check out some of the other forums.

News flash all Sue fans are not Hippocrates! grin

So what have done we lately you ask? Along with beating the mighty Sue 2 out of last four games with our worst team ever, to name a few, we have won more National title's "gophs 2 susy O" and more WCHA and Playoffs titles combined this decade than the Sue has. So other than that not much, not much at all...LMAO. smile

In defense of Hakstol. I thought he and the Sioux coaching staff did an outstanding job of curtailing the cheap-shots that took out both the Gopher defensmen. They really got back to playing hockey and avoiding the cheap-stuff in the 3rd period. The knee to knee on Leddy was atrocious also. Hack did the same in thing Minesota when the sioux got cheap at the end of 2nd while they were being blown out by the gophers.

So I guess I don't blame Hack and give him credit versus the blame for the most part.

I think Hack might have given them a talking to after the second. They did clean it up. Or maybe a league official.

Go Dogs.

Dear Blais. Come to Gophs please. Lucia is a bum. I think I would give Motzko a try over Don at this point.

I have to say the Gophs plain sucked this season. As for the Sioux they are a middle of the road team not much better than the Gophs. I think both sides should be a bit embarrassed that Denver and Wisconsin are on top of the WCHA. I'm one who loves to hate the Sioux, so deep down I'm excited to see them in the top 3 along with the Gophs. As for Denver I just flat out hate them I wish misery on that program and that smug, arrogant, d-bag George Gwozdecky. They should have booted the Pioneers when they accepted Bemidji into the WCHA.

I do have to ask the Sioux fans this question: After the Sioux establish and maintain pressure in the offensive zone why do they throw it all away with stupid penalties? Over aggressive play just keeps their opponent alive. That's what makes everyone question the coaching staff of the Sioux.

I do have to ask the Sioux fans this question: After the Sioux establish and maintain pressure in the offensive zone why do they throw it all away with stupid penalties? Over aggressive play just keeps their opponent alive.

Good question. I've wondered that myself.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge

No suprises in the first round matchups as expected.

I'll be back with my picks after the WCHA hands out it's punishment and we know if he's "frattin" booted from the entire tournament like he should be or its just a slap on the wrist like is expected for the cheap shot with the sole intent to injure hit.

Intent to injure? How about "light him up"... Too bad he got excited and left his feet when he saw that Gopher sitting with the puck not making progress. I really wish he wouldn't have left his feet because the result would have been virtually the same on his a** laying there. Personally, I've taken harder hits in my day from behind. So if they suspend him it's a joke! Especially since it's the Sioux's best offensive player. The complaining continues... If the rodents would have won, this hit would be on the back burner.

I'm definitely not complaining and I still may be in the minority, which is fine but what I saw last night was more than aggressive play. There was more than just the hit on Wehrs that had obvious intent to injure which is just plain wrong and should not be acceptable. The player's aren't just doing these types of things on their own. That type of behavior is taught and coached by someone with no sense of leadership or respect for the game, making it all the more disappointing. I'm all about rivalry and competition but last night was tough to watch, regardless of what team you support, even if it's another team besides the Sioux or Gophers. I'll be at the Excel on Friday pulling for the 'Dogs and Huskies.

Not that it matters but it's not likely you've taken a hit like Wehrs did last night (or even harder) from behind but if so, you should feel very fortunate that you're healthy and able to be a part of this dialogue.

Broodwhich, good points and a good question that so many people have wondered for so long. That is what you get when you have so many Canadians, and that is what you get when you have a Canadian coach. They are not disciplined. I hope Bemidji doesnt end up this way with all their Canadian players. I dont think their coach Seratore would let though.

I went to Bemidji, I lived with many diferent Canadian players. For most, not all. College is just 4 years of free fun away from home. They are not too worried if they get in trouble, they are not too worried about hockey. They know that they can get into as much trouble and try as hard or not hard as they want, and still go back to Canada and play hockey. but cheap, and the Sue have cried all year.

Once again, how can a Sue fan ever criticize another team for being cheap? That is just too funny. You dont see many teams with their sticks higher than the Sue. Halos around the Gophs, no. But nobody is as bad as the Sioux.

I can still hear the Sue whiners crying about the hit on Genoway. Which hit do you think was worse. Marvin glided in and hit him. Looked pretty harmless, but Genaways head hit the boards. Not very hard by the looks of it.

Shorelunch,

Just to clarify so we're on the same page, my reference to checking from behind was in response to a comment JAG made earlier in this thread. He said he's been hit harder from behind than Wehrs was last night. Personally, I doubt it.

I can still hear the Sue whiners crying about the hit on Genoway. Which hit do you think was worse. Marvin glided in and hit him. Looked pretty harmless, but Genaways head hit the boards. Not very hard by the looks of it.

You aren't serious are you? Yes, the Frattin hit was questionable/suspendable. Marvin did not "glide in" and it was not harmless - he buried his elbow into Genoway. Frattin's hit was face-to-face, Whers saw him coming, ducked down and made the hit worse than it was. Genoway was defenseless. Get real.

Marvins hit.

Shorelunch,

Just to clarify so we're on the same page, my reference to checking from behind was in response to a comment JAG made earlier in this thread. He said he's been hit harder from behind than Wehrs was last night. Personally, I doubt it.

Gottcha.

I made sure i watched it, many times, How did Marvin not glide in? he didnt stride after the top of the circles, maybe even the blue line. Genoway didnt have the puck any longer. Something you saw many times last night. the hard part to see is, if Marvin got his hands up and got the back of Gens neck. Looks like he did. I said I thought it was a cheap shot.

But then i see the hit last night. He took many strides, was going much faster, hit him in the face, and jumped at him. The gopher player gets hit in head and also can hit his head on the boards. I do think the gopher should have had his head up, this isnt peewees.

I dont care which one is worse, I just dont know how you laugh one off, and then complain about the other all year long.

I dont care which one is worse, I just dont know how you laugh one off, and then complain about the other all year long.

That is the definition of a fan. Skewed vision, skewed hearing, skewed priorities. I'm a Sioux guy, so I holler about hits on my team, especially when a player gets an injury like Genoway's. If we hit the other team, my attitude is: "Tough, that's hockey!" Fair and balanced? Nah. If you are fair and balanced, you aren't much of a fan (fanatic is where the word fan comes from, after all.)

And on the other hand, I'm a fan but I'm no hater, and I don't actually enjoy it when the Sioux play dirty. If you play fast enough and smart enough, you don't have to play intimidation hockey.

Just IMO. smilesmile

The cheap shot on Genoway is the same as the cheap shot that Frattin put on Wehr IMO. There isn't much difference in my view both had the same intention. There was a thread awhile back on here about "fighting in college hockey" and it was about players taking cheapshots. IMO 5 minute for fighting in college hockey would clean this shat up. This is just another example.

Ah, there is my favorite Siuox fan, maybe my only. I havent checked my black list lately.

Agree, ok move forward. Denver, I really dont like you and want everyone but you. Wisconsin, you are almost as bad. That leaves a Savage, and a couple of Dogs. Savages hunt them both.

Brooks. I may not pull your boat plug after all. I was a little worried when i read you would be in Detroit lakes though. Dont we have enough invasive species up there. (now that was funny)

That is funny. Detroit lakes is my new favorite lake now. I pull that line on some one else in case you didn't catch that. So is UMD your team now if you were to choose just one. Not who you think but who you want.

What! Wisconsin, I think your the only one on here Steve.

Wisconsin is WAAAAAAYYYYYYY down on the list in second place after UND. I mean WAAAAAAYYYYY down there! Aside from being a LaCrosse native, it was just that I dated this real hot babe at UND who was a Badger fan. She wore red, I wore green. It was like Christmas every day of the hockey season. gringringrin

Sorry for the off-topic. frown

I don't think UND is going to win it all, but I darn well WANT them to!

I dont know who I want. I dont have any reason to cheer for UMD more than SCSU or vice versa. I just hope for good hockey. I think I am pulling for the dogs though. I dont have much faith in either team though. I havent seen either one in a few weeks, hopefully they improve.

I am just glad the Sioux fans will be there, its always funny seeing them passed out in the aisles by 3 pm.

Stay away from DL, no fish there.......