• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cracked Hood

vman11

The sled I bought has a crack in the hood near one of the hinges, making it very difficult to open the hood correctly.

Can something like this be fixed and is it even worth it? Would I be better off looking for a replacement hood?

The sled I bought has a crack in the hood near one of the hinges, making it very difficult to open the hood correctly.

Can something like this be fixed and is it even worth it? Would I be better off looking for a replacement hood?

The newer sled hoods are made in a close molded injection process which is really not like the old fiberglass they use to use. You could try some fiberglass with mate, but you have to make sure you rough up all the areas on both sides of the crack very well so it would bond if at all to it? You could also try maybe some epoxies with fiberglass mate. I would call the manufactuer and ask them what would stick to their hood material for repairing a crack, but they may just want you to buy a new one and say nothing will work! frown Good luck!

3M makes a two part epoxy that works great. part # is 05883 rigid parts repair kit. You can find it at a auto paint and supply store. Fixed a couple of cracked hoods stuff will set you back $50 though. When you call the store for similar epoxies I think there a couple cheaper ones out there but I never used those. The stuff goes a long ways and I have used for a lot of differant things. Works good on rubber also.

take it to a auto body shop. I had a baddly cracked hood on a late 90's AC. they had a tough time finding the stuff to fix it, but they did get something from AC, on what to use. they did fix it good, and I never had any more problems with it, they did a good job, it did cost 200 bucks, but thats mostly to the work of looking and getting what they needed from AC (artic cat). I would do it again if needed, as hoods are very spendy, and thats without any graphics, they cost much more.