• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger mount for snowmobile

lindy rig

I bought mine a couple of years ago, but that picture I posted came directly from the FF HSOforum.

It's current. They should at least honor that price.

Huum, maybe they are out of that type? The only ones they had were the plastic, but I will keep checking around. Maybe the big Cab's will have them? Shack, thanks for the pic's, the ones they had only had two Y holders in the pack and didn't say auger holder. frown

As long as we're looking for pics, anyone got a pic of an auger rack that mounts on the front of the snowmobile?

Here is my setup. It works great for all of my running and gunning. I strongly suggest the PVC idea for the blade end of the auger. No straps to worry about, you just slip it in, latch the other side, and go. Its also about 100X safer than having the blades exposed. After I used mine for a year, my dad was so impressed that he made an exact copy for his sled for the auger rack. We both agreed that we can fly 70 mph across the lake and not worry one bit about the auger coming off. It also keeps more weight up front, and is much easier to watch the auger on portages so you don't hit a tree. Just the auger rack was almost a full weekend of work (everything was made from scratch), but it was well worth it.

My project next fall will be to modify my rodholders in back. The stick up a little higher than what I prefer. I've got a few ideas and it should make for a fun weekend in the garage daydreaming about lake trout.

P2271005.jpg

P2131288.jpg

NoWiser, I think your on to something here? How about some pic's of how you attacted-mounted it under the hood and maybe a front on shot of the holder of the motor side. Thats always the good thing to see! Thanks. cool

The Mad Dog auger rack mounting system (unless you build something like Paul did) does no good without a wide stance to mount it on. They are any where from $40-$60 depending where you find them at:

Fortunately (and unfortunately) neither Mad Dog mounting systems did me any good. I just did not want to start drilling and cutting holes. Luckily I was able to zip-tie some foam padding that matched in color to the rear cargo area of my sled, lay my auger (no matter if the extension is on or off) sideways and use two bungee's to hold it down tight. Unfortunately I do not have any with the auger on my sled, but you can see by the red ovals where I placed my foam (basically 3/4" pipe insulation style foam with two big black zip-ties holding it down).

69.jpg

Steve if you know Jim Hudson he has done the same thing to his Bear Cat:

12-22-08_Medium_Web_view.jpg

When he wrote about that auger rack he said he had it custom build by a fabrication shop. I think Dave Genz pioneered the concept???

I am a sales representative at a fabrication shop. I thought long and hard about doing this to my AC and in the end (for me personally) I just do not like having something forward like this on a off-road riding vehicle (snowmobile) with nothing but the brisk cold night air protecting the most vital part of the human body "The Head". wink The one thing is I have never heard of any issue from this design and some of the best fisherman in the industry swear by mounting their augers this way.

Leech~

Maybe you got the actual auger rack system from Mad Dog. This has a three point system. If it is then you got it at a good price. wink

Here are some images of Paul Waldowski's system:

Rack9.jpg

Rack7.jpg

If you are up by Appeldoorn's on Mille Lacs, stop by and swing in. I am very sure Paul will let you see his system up close. smile

Mine is very simular to Pauls. Same Mad Dog Auger holders and alum but mines a big T. Same principal.

Thanks Shack & dtro for the pic's and ideas! If I can't find a good way to mount it up front then I will be using a combo of these ideas. P.S I went to GM and they only have the plastic Kolpin brand for $18 and also the New FF which is only carrying the plastic Mad Dog brand at $27.99. So I picked up the Kolpin set. Also dtro, can you go back and delete the other post I started when I couldn't get into this one. Thanks! Leech~~

I was thinking about getting the Johnson Cargo System...its $250 but it looks like it will definately get the job done.

Anybody have any experience with Johnson Cargo systems?

[Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I took a couple of quick pictures last night. Sorry for the poor quality, all I had was my phone with me.

There was a fair amount of welding involved in building it. We also had to custom bend the stainless tubing. Everything was fabricatied out of stock stainless and mild steel. The mild steel needs a new coating of epoxy paint since it got beat up pretty good when my dad took it apart to make his, and the stainless needs a good polishing after the road salt from our last trip.

Everything stays attached to the snowmobile except for the stainless, which slides out of the tubing in about 5 minutes (4 bolts) if you just want to ride without the rack. Like I said before, it is solid as a rock and is a matter of clipping one pin and you are ready to go. The bungee is mostly to keep the gas tank up, but also makes me feel a little safer as a backup to hold the power head down.

IMG00124-20100224-1916.jpg

IMG00125-20100224-1917.jpg

IMG00122-20100224-1916.jpg

IMG00123-20100224-1916.jpg

Awesome ideas guys thanks!

FYI, I just bought the Mad Dog Fin Grip Pro Handle Bar Rack from the Fleet Farm in Blaine for $18. (same one as Dtro and Wanderer have with the brass mounts) When I called, they intially told me they did not have them, they were clearanced out, ect. I pressed the guy a bit and he looked a little harder and found 4 sets left. sku # 006328603 if that helps anyone.

Awesome ideas guys thanks!

FYI, I just bought the Mad Dog Fin Grip Pro Handle Bar Rack from the Fleet Farm in Blaine for $18. (same one as Dtro and Wanderer have with the brass mounts) When I called, they intially told me they did not have them, they were clearanced out, ect. I pressed the guy a bit and he looked a little harder and found 4 sets left. sku # 006328603 if that helps anyone.

Lindy, What the "blank" I was just there last night looking for them! Did they have any more! I ended up getting some plastic ones from GM! cry Who should I talk to?

Leech~ Ya, they weren't on the shelves. I forget the guy's name so I just called again and figured it out. Ask for Brian in the automotive department. He is actually holding a set for you at the automotive desk with the name "Leech" on it LOL grin

NoWiser, it seems that you are really Wiser then your post name! smile Nice looking do-able setup. Where did you find the SSteal up right pipe? Thanks for the post. wink

The upright pipe is just some normal stainless steel tubing that we had lying around and bent up. Nothing fancy. The "yoke" that the auger shaft sits in is some channel that we cut out to the shape we wanted and welded on top of it, and the holes the pin slides through are just some nuts that we drilled out and welded on. Like I said, nothing too fancy, but it gets the job done.

Leech~ Ya, they weren't on the shelves. I forget the guy's name so I just called again and figured it out. Ask for Brian in the automotive department. He is actually holding a set for you at the automotive desk with the name "Leech" on it LOL grin

lindy you the Man! As soon as I read your post, I printed out the number and ran up to FF after work. I gave the number to a girl at the CS desk and she punched it up on her computer. She looked at the screen for a while, scratch her head, looked again, asked what are these? I said they are Mad Dog handle bar brackets! She got on the phone with someone, checked the screen again. I thought oh [PoorWordUsage] lindy sent me on a wild goose chase! frown Then she looked up and said Is your name Leech? "jaw drop" I said um ya how did you know that? She said your friend called and said to hold them! Ha, ha! grin So, thanks lindy buddy! I got one set, so there are only 3 left now! If anyone goes to get one of the last sets I would bring the number lindy posted or they will look at you like a lost puppy! wink

I installed a product made by digger anchor, just google them and look under products, $89.00.

It is a simple design, you can mount it to the back or front bumper of your sled. I installed it last weekend and so far so good..

Here's a picture of mine, I had it made at a fabrication shop, its all stainless steel and the bottom part is solid and then just before the bend it goes to thick walled tube. I like it because I can just take off the yokes for a nice clean look when not hauling the auger.

3nb3m13l45O35P95S8a2ib8e70fe87d4d1b48.jp

3nf3k43ld5O65T75P8a2i82707a4eb6a51ee7.jp

3n73kb3mc5T85P45R9a2ife157974704b1aa4.jp

3k23m43l35Of5Tb5Pba2i0405bbbdd6ee155d.jp