• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

College Hockey - Down the stretch

scsavre

Al right guys who is going to be the hottest WCHA team? Who is going to win the Broadmoar and who is taking the Mcnaughton cup?

Here is the current standings.

Team WCHA Record Points

Denver 15-4-4 34

St. Cloud State 15-7-3 33

Minnesota-Duluth 14-8-1 29

Wisconsin 13-7-3 29

Colorado College 11-9-3 25

North Dakota 10-10-3 23

Minnesota 9-12-2 20

Alaska-Anchorage 8-15-2 18

Minnesota State 7-15-1 15

Michigan Tech 4-19-0 8

Its really close this year.

Denver and Cloud are a couple of real good team, playing good hockey down the stretch. Remember UMD last year though, they played their best hockey at the end and made a strong frozen 5 finish.

Cloud spanked the badgers last night, that happens again tonight and if gophs and Sioux win again, that makes for a tight finish. Especially when the gophs end the season with the Badgers and Sioux get CC and MIch tech.

Gophs and Sioux could finish 5 and 6, that would be fun hockey, but i would rather they meet up in the tourny.

And before you stinking Sioux fans (brooks, Muskie) start yipping at me,,,, NO i am not going gopher crazy here because of their decent win last night. They still have a ways to go.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not ready to make my prediction quit yet but I will say that if UND gets Chay Genoway back for tourament time you see a different team.

Denver will get first place but other than that its still too early to tell. SCSU, Wisconsin,and UMD will battle it out for 2 3 and 4. Minnesota and UND will battle it out for 5th. I like UND schedule after this weekend w/CC and Mich tech. I don't know Minnesota's remaining schedule.

Good to get another thread going for all those great college hockey minds on here haha. How did Kangas look last night? It sounds like Dunn had a good game for St Cloud he only let one goal in. They have to go with Dunn over Mike Lee, any opinions there?

Watching the UND game last night I thought they were outplayed when going 5 on 5. They finally found away to score on there powerplay. UMD has probably the best line in the league with David Grun, Mike and Jack Connolly. That game was alot closer than the score 5-2(emty netter). UND almost let them back in the game w/5minutes left.

Unless Denver falls flat on their face the McNaughton cup is theirs.

For the tourney I would say it is up for grabs. Heck the Gophers may have even turned a corner this weekend with a sweep of the Tigers. Win the Broadmoor trophy and they make the dance.

Can't wait for the Final Five at the X.

Looks like it will be quite the battle this weekend. North Dakota at CC, when they are tied for fifth and fighting for home ice. Gophs could actually win about 2 of their 4 remaining games and make a push for 6th. That could be fun but a difficult series in ND.

Denver looks to be the winner, and as far as playoffs I dont know if SCSU will be a factor. They seem to fall on their faces, however this year they have a few veterans that could lead the way.

Heres my early frozen 5 picks

Denver

Wis

Cloud

Minn

I have Minn beating Sioux in play in. So far.

Denver is clearly still in the driver's seat. They can coast to the Cup riding a 3 pt lead with Mankato and CC series remaining. Saint Cloud is idle this week so Bucky has a great opportunity to overtake them at #2 with a sweep. Wisconsin heads north to the UP this weekend.

1, 2, or 3 is where you want to be, considering #4 will all most certainly play Minnesota at home in the first round. I don't want UMD to be that #4 team, but it's going to take a sweep of the Gophers in Duluth this weekend for them to have a chance at #3. Their trip to the Ralph was again unkind to the Bulldogs.

[pleasebecomeasponsor] - I wasn't gonna yip at you! Thanks for the hockey posts - I have something to look forward to on here other than the musky threads now.

After this weekend just about anyone could win the frozen 5 but 3 teams that should be in the mix are Denver, Wisconsin, and UMD. The 4th team in the frozen four is just a matter of who got hot on one night. I think Denver will win the frozen five this year and make a run at a national champsionship. If Cheverie gets hot again nobody will be able to score on Denver.

Here's mine

1.Denver

2.SCSU if they decide to go w/Dunn in net full time IMO

3.Wisconsin

4.UMD

5.UND

I think I see UND and Minnesota playing each other to get into the final five. Hopefully if this happens those games will be a little more exciting this time around and has a better outcome:)

Its still really close on who 2,3 and 4 will be. I wonder if Aaron Marvin gonna get a suspension for the hit he put on Blake Geoffrion. That can change things for SCSU and it can things for the Badgers if Blake is out for a few games(he didn't return to the line up that night). Marvin just can't stop making friends in this league. I don't think that hit was really dirty but you never know what the WCHA will do.

I see the Gophs and Sioux playing as well. I kind of hope the gophs finish 7th so that we can have that game at the xcel. The tourny attendance sure goes down without the gophs. Although it would make for some good hockey if the gophs had to go up to the ralph to kick them Sioux around.

I would imagine they would turn it up this time and play like they used to . Could be a good battle.

Looking at the remaning schedule for the season Minnesota has it tough going to duluth and then Wisconsin at home. There three points out of 6th place. I don't think they'll get UND the first round just by looking at the remaining schedule. Which is good news for you Scott. Otherwise you would have to watch the gophers season end with a azz kicking in the Ralph LOL.

Ummmm..... Go Beavers?!?!?! Once their in the WCHA it may take a while to make a big impact so I better take em while there hot and they have a good shot at a #2 seed in the official tournament!

I know its big talk but why not - all in fun! I just can't wait for the tourneys to begin!

Wolf, frozen dead gophers.... obviously you give them to Cbrooks. They are a delicacy to him.

Gophs have a tough road, I see them playing up in Duluth the first round. We will see how they do this weekend. Hopefully they can give me something to cheer about. The problem is, gophs suck against teams with goal scorers, and UMD has a few good ones. I think the gophs just play with 6 skaters and no goalie.

Either I way, I expect the Sioux in the play in game, and I expect the Gophs to make a push to get there.

Go Beavers. You are right, do it now, cause there schedule will be a heck of a lot harder next year. Especially when every weekend you have to play in rinks full of angry fans.

Ummmm..... Go Beavers?!?!?! Once their in the WCHA it may take a while to make a big impact so I better take em while there hot and they have a good shot at a #2 seed in the official tournament!

I know its big talk but why not - all in fun! I just can't wait for the tourneys to begin!

exactly GO BSU!

I'm pumped to watch UMD on TV this weekend. I didn't book a trip to the DECC this year on the account that I wanted to watch them in Final 5 action. Now I'm starting to lose a little sleep over this decision. If they got to the #3 position I'd feel a whole lot better about 1st week home playoffs.

Jeez, if the rodents don't go up to the Ralph, what are all the fans supposed to do with those frozen dead gophers? GO SIOUX!

Put them in a freezer for next year, my crystal ball is telling me the Gophers sweep UMD and WI, Sioux split with CC and Tech, and CC is swept by Denver. Gophers at home against the Sioux to open the playoffs!!!

Hey at least its still mathematically possible.

I'm pumped to watch UMD on TV this weekend. I didn't book a trip to the DECC this year on the account that I wanted to watch them in Final 5 action. Now I'm starting to lose a little sleep over this decision. If they got to the #3 position I'd feel a whole lot better about 1st week home playoffs.

Hey Solbes,

Are they on a local channel this weekend, or FSN?? I'd love to watch the games, especially since the signal on 1490 is so bad I can't even listen to them on the radio. I can get 830 at our place better than 1490.

Thanks!

Brooks, I was just reading the muskie page and it sure was cute to see how you and brmuskie are longing to meet each other. Stinking Siuox fans, if its not one thing, its the other. Just kidding guys.

I see the sioux splitting with CC and sweeping tech.

The gophs will double split.

The Sioux will get 5th and sweep CC in the Sioux Zoo first round.

The gophs will win 2 of 3 in the first round at UMD.

Gophs beat the Sioux at the Xcel in the play in game, 5-4 in overtime.

Then likely get beat by Denver. But if the Sioux win the play in game. I could see them doing better against Denver.

Assuming no other upsets, I guess.

Are they on a local channel this weekend, or FSN?? I'd love to watch the games, especially since the signal on 1490 is so bad I can't even listen to them on the radio. I can get 830 at our place better than 1490.

Thanks!

Puck drops at 7pm on Friday and 7:30 Saturday. Coverage on FSN both nights.

Here's to 3+ goals both nights! Then repeat 2 weeks later.

If we don't get 3 goals, we don't win.