• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying a shock collar

duckhuntr21

Hey folks, I am going to be purchasing a new collar for my puppy. Alot of my friends have Dogtra collars and have had good luck with them and that is what I think I will buy. My question is how much of a difference does the range make on the models? There is a pretty good price jump between 1/2 to 3/4 to 1 mile models and how much do you really need. My dog is mainly used for waterfowl hunting and sometimes for pheasants. Also have you guys had good luck with this brand or do you suggest another?

long range for me is a must but I have pointers and let them run big. I cant say if I have ever let them get a mile out but I have never had a problem with not being able to page or nick them when needed.

also if I send a dog on a track, they can get pretty lengthy. If they were to come accross a road or a fence I want the added range to be able to stop them if I have to in case of an emergency or they run into a skunk or coon.

I have the Dogtra 2502 T&B series and they work great. They see plenty of time in the field and water and I have never had any issues.

I have a TriTronics Sport G3 collar. I mostly waterfowl hunt, but my dog comes with me in the woods while I look for sheds. I let her roam where she wants and I like to have the collar on her just in case she chases after something. I've only used it for one season, but it worked awesome. It easily works up to a 1/2 mile and I've definitely put it to the test. I went with a TriTronics collar because a lot of my buddies run them. I do have one buddy that runs a camo SportDog collar and stands by it.

I used Innotek many years ago then they went total garbage and also stopped with a few services that kept me there for about 4-5 years.

Ive had Tri-Tronics for many years now and have to say its the best Ive used and the customer service (if you ever need them) is great as well.

I'm in the market as well, and think I'm going with the g3 from tri-tronics. I second all that has been said about the collars, this will be my second one. I looked at the range as well, and my thinking is that anything over 1/2 mile is severe overkill, if I can't see my dog, I shouldn't be shocking it, you don't know what you're shocking for, but that's just my 2 cents worth!! good luck, most collars on the market are pretty good. as with anything else, you get what you pay for.

Do most of the tri tronic collars beep loud enough to hear a ways away like the dogtra collars?

How loud do the dogtra collars beep? I am looking at getting a tri-tronics g3 upland with the beeper collar (which is $100 more). I dont have a pointer but I used a buddies last year and it was great locating my dog in the thick stuff. She tends to run on a hot trail and I cant always see or hear her so if I beep her I can follow her. It usually gets her attention to come back too.

the dogtras are pretty loud, there is also a low and high tone that you can change. I have a 2 dogs system so I set one dog on one tone, and my other dog on the other. As mentioned its great for locating, and I have also used it to turn or quarter a dog in the field

Had Tritronics and then made the switch to Dogtra after years of use and frustration. I won't be going back. My experience shows that the Dogtra collars are much more reliable than the Tritronics. They are also easier to use and the batteries last longer.

Do most of the tri tronic collars beep loud enough to hear a ways away like the dogtra collars?

You would need to be deaf in order to not hear a TriTronics beeper in the field. I believe they are the loudest beeper out there. I can't imagine needing anything louder than a TT beeper.

One thing I would like to add about the range of a collar. If the collar states 1/2 mile you can probably cut that in half when out in the woods or sloughs or anywhere where direct line of sight is impeded by woods or topography.

My collar is rated at a mile but I'm quite sure it would never reach out a mile in anything I hunt.

Tri-tronics vs Dogtra is a Ford vs. Chevy debate. Both are good collars with different things that appeal to different people. Tri-tronics service used to be a little suspect, but because of the competition I've heard good things about it. I can't tell you how the service is with Dogtra because in the 10 years I've owned my 502p, I've never needed it. wink

Great service on a battery replacement on both my Dogtra collars. Tritronics on the other hand wanted huge bucks and eventually said the rig was out of date and had to be replaced. That collar was 8-10 years old at the time but since it cost $350+ (I think) I was very disappointed that it was trash in their opinion.

I researched Dogtra a little and it seems they have alot of choices (maybe too many...lol). What collar are you using Tom? I have a springer with an awsome nose that likes to run a little too much. I need one with a beeper to locate her when she dissapears in the thick stuff. I dont need one that is expandable for more dogs as one is enough. What model would you recommend? I realize I have more research to do because I was going to go with Tri-Tronics by default because my buddy uses them, but I am not sure now.