• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax/Zim Bog Feeding Stations

Big-Al

I am surprised that it did not happen sooner, but someone has complained and the CO has posted a notice to remove the rib cages from the feeding stations. There is a new law that has been in effect for a couple years now that makes it illegal to dispose of animal carcasses on public land. Kind of ridiculous to define this as disposal.

My suggestion would be to look up some private land out there and get written permission and put up stations there. There is not much private land out there, but there is some.

All of the feeding stations have been taken down as far as I know.

The funny thing is the carcasses were already disposed of by deer hunters who threw them in the ditches after deer season. The bog is a dumping place for animal carcasses. The rib cages were taken from the ditches and hung up in tree to feed the birds through winter. The previously placed litter was just being repositioned into a tree.

A few birders and photographers have been harassed by one of the people who live down there and I would urge them too call the sheriff and make a complaint if it continues. He has no right to block the road so people can't drive by so he can yell at them.

I wondered a couple winters ago if those ribcage stations would come down sooner or later. Sure were a great thing for birders and avian photographers alike. I don't doubt at all that actual suet bought in the meat section or rendered in the home will be just as effective as the ribcages, though.

Steve I talked to a few different people from the Bird festival today and there will be a few different avenues that will be explored from the MOU side and from the DNR side. A person that works for the DNR has my email and phone and will let me know what is going to happen if anything. Nobody I talked with today was very happy with the way the policy is being enforced. Right now there are no feeders anywhere in the bog on public land.

Well, the issue as I understand it from this thread is that the carcasses aren't allowed, not that feeding stations in general are forbidden.

If that's true, there's no need to wait on the DNR for anything. Simple matter to put back the sunflower feeders and use beef suet for the suet eaters and things will be right back the way they were. Anything that comes into a venny carcass will come into beef suet (as opposed to the prepackaged store-bought cakes).

But no one has posted much detail about this so far, so if anyone has the full story, feel free to share it as long as it's accurate info. smilesmile

Katie Haws who is head of the non-game division for the DNR was at the festival. I heard through second hand after I made the announcement was not happy with timing of the DNR nor the fact that the DNR removed the deer ribs from the feeding stations and posted up warning signs. She is going to look into this fiasco and see what she can do to change it. Like you all I am upset and sadden that 1 or 2 people complain and that warranted the DNR to take action.

As far as the guy down the road on the McDavitt Rd .. that is pure harassment and if he is indeed purposely blocking the road to allow him to approach vehicles to rant and scream at people .. well that goes under harassment, Call the St. Louis Co sheriff if that happens to anyone.. I hope it happens to me because I have a lot of stress and anger to get off my chest.

These bachelor farmers in the bog have always been a headache to most everyone in the area .. birders and non birders. There is that wacko on Stickney Rd who I think is in jail after he shot a few rounds over the county sheriffs because he did not allow some deer hunters to go on his land so they can take their deer that ran on his property and died after being shot. The hunters decided to go after their deer anyways and the homeowner began shooting at them and over their head. Police arrived and he shot his gun towards the sheriff.

To me it really comes down to the fact that a few idiots got upset seeing birders and photographers enjoying themselves at these feeders. Remember if you photo nature or look at birds up at SAx-Zim Bog you are labeled as a left-wing environmental Al Gore loving TREE HUGGER by these Fox NEWs / Shawn Hannity/Rush Limbaugh listening / Tea bagging / Palin for president A holes! ( WHEW )

So to get rid of the tree huggers you find a away to ruin it for them and it looks like they found it.

Steve: I have the same thoughts about hanging suet feeders or cheap Menards suet cakes.

I am going to attend a McDavitt township board meeting pretty soon to discuss some other topic and I also want to bring this up to them as well. The Admiral Rd and the McDavitt Rd are in the McDavitt township. I met the president last year and I have a great idea for that area and I am going to toss it to the board to see if they want to supoort me on it.

This is just too bad! Keep us posted on what starts to come of this Borealhunter. I was looking forward to coming back up when I am back in the state this spring. I am sure we (birders/photographers/outdoorspeople) will still continue to enjoy the sax zim area just a little ripple in the road.

When I stopped by the Admiral feeder on thursday morning I right away noticed the laminated letter nailed to the tree and that all of the rib cages were in a pile so I started to set up my gear and a couple that are in there 70s stop and right away I could tell they did not show up to do any birding. First thing out of his mouth was the that the DNR posted the letter and I responded the that it was very stupid because the ribs were in the tree and they were not thrown in the ditch. He then starts a rant about how many wolves and coyote are around and it started when those ribs started to get hung in the tree. About this time my eyes start rolling to the back of my head and told him that I have never noticed any animals other then the weasels and pine martins chewing on the ribs but he insisted that they were the cause. After about 15 or 20 minutes of this type of Ignorant banter I got tired of listening to him and just said fine and what ever and walked away he finally drove off. The car he was driving was a older light blue buick or some type of GM product.

Here is a picture of what was posted at all of the feed stations.

Websters definition of deposit:

Main Entry: 1de·pos·it

Pronunciation: \di-ˈpä-zət\

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): de·pos·it·ed \-ˈpä-zə-təd, -ˈpäz-təd\; de·pos·it·ing \-ˈpä-zə-tiŋ, -ˈpäz-tiŋ\

Etymology: Latin depositus, past participle of deponere

Date: 1624

transitive verb 1 : to place especially for safekeeping or as a pledge; especially : to put in a bank

2 a : to lay down : place b : to let fall (as sediment)intransitive verb : to become deposited

— de·pos·i·tor \-ˈpä-zə-tər, -ˈpäz-tər\ noun

_B7D2350copy.jpg

Not to make a huge banter over this now, BUT I think it is very interesting that the enforcment officer that posted this at all the stations "nailed" them all up. Is it not illegal to be pounding nails into trees on public property?? I may be wrong but I know for sure they had a huge problem with the tree stands nailed up on public land.

Thanks for the insight Jim.

John Sikkila aka JonnyRedhorse talk to the Lt. and he said that seed feeders would be OK as well as suet feeders as long as there were no rib cages.

Jeremy I thought the nails and the lamented paper would take a lot longer to decompose then the ribs cage winkgrin

Next time up to the bog I will hang some suet cages and the seed feeders. I have a bunch from up at the cabin that are just sitting around.

Well, that turned out to be an easy fix. Really doesn't matter whether it's deer carcasses or beef/pork suet as far as the birds, birders and bird photographers are concerned. Thanks for posting the info, Jim, and for putting the seed feeders back and the suet up. smilesmile

I've got a coupla avian photography clients coming in soon, and the Bog was one of the stops on our list.

I hope to make the suet cages into a decent perch by putting a hose clamp through the bottom and inserting a nice branch that they will land on before hitting the suet. Jason was going to head up today and put up some seed feeders today and I was going to head up tomorrow so the meat eaters should feel right at home soon. There also seems to be a lot more Redpolls hanging around as well as the WW Crossbills so there should be some good photo opps.

I am back, the boreal chickadees are already feeding on the suet blocks and peanut butter. However, the gray jays showed up and I have a feeling neither is going to last long since they feel the need to take it all and cache it away. L&M has suet cakes for .79 each so that is about the cheapest your probably going to find and the birds seem to like the woodpecker delight the best. I put them up in my yard with the venison and they eat both.

4360837520_c5dea01d80_o.jpg