• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

03 Renegade Good? Bad?

Meat-Run

Hey folks I'm interested to hear what history there is regarding this year and model SkiDoo came out with. My most recent sled that I owned was a time bomb 96 XCR 600 loved it but new it was not going to last. Anyways I might be interested in this sled that a friend has and wanted to know what the short falls or if this was or is a solid year snowmobile. Any advise will be taken with a grain of salt and I expect personal experiences to be mentioned.

thanks,

mr

Is it a rev or zx chassis?

I have an 03 zx Renegade and its been great! Solid machine and I dont baby it.

10,000 on it so far and I still dont want to let it go. This season I treated it to a set of slides, both rear shocks, a new drive chain and gears, a fresh set of idler bearings and new carbides. Rides like new again. Depending on mileage and use, expect to replace rings and/or pistons at some point. I did mine at 7800 miles, many see less miles before needing them.

I've ridden the newer machines, and they are nice, but I have a pair of beat up knees and the older sit down sleds work better for me.

2003 Renegade is the zx chassis, and I would recommend going to an 04 or 05 Rev chassis if you can afford it. Much better ride than the older style sleds. All depends what your primary uses for the sled would be.

The 03' Renegade would certainly be a decent sled, but it is older [sit down vs rider forward] technology.

It is the zx chassis so does that make it the most current up right style vs. the rev style? The chain and box was replaced but in show room quality with about 4,200 miles on it and I know the person take awesome care of his toys.

mr

It is the zx chassis so does that make it the most current up right style vs. the rev style? The chain and box was replaced but in show room quality with about 4,200 miles on it and I know the person take awesome care of his toys.

mr

Yes and no, for the Renagade model yes, but Skidoo had newer sit down type sleds. They had the Legend in 2004, maybe 2005 (don't remember).

Chain and chaincase was replaced.....any info on why?

Just something for you to think about, which may or may not apply: When I switched from the sit-down style of sled to the newer rider-forward platform, I instantly fell in love and knew that the change would extend my riding career many years. After 50 miles on the older style, my knees would get stiff and sore. With the newer (XP) style sled, my knees can go easily 3 times as far before they start feeling stiff. The new platform is so much friendlier to my 43 y.o. body. There are others that may have differing opinions, but I will tell you that moving to the rider-forward platform was the best change I've ever made in sledding. If you are much younger or don't have the aches and pains from riding that I've had, I wouldn't worry about making a switch to the new style sled. As a matter of fact, I went riding with a buddy of mine a few weeks back (same age), and he's on a 02 Polaris. We did 170 miles in one day and he did fine (he's an ex sno-crosser, so the pace wasn't slow).

I saw it from a distance on Saturday but didn't walk up to it but it is the rider-forward platform that kdawg mentioned. Not sure why the chain case was replaced but will ask him in the coming days. With these kind of miles would there be any reason for concern other than the normal maintaniance i.e. blowing up like the xcr triples were known for?

mr

Rider comfort is the main priority for me. Dont get me wrong, I like the Revs, I often ride an 800xp that my buddy owns. It is smooth as silk but after 3 knee surgeries I get more fatigued in my knees in that position than I do on my sled. Also, he admits that he can make mine go through the corners better than his own. But, in my opinion, thats really all individual taste and personal preference. I'm very much a long distance rider. I'm 54 years old, and when I'm out, I rarely ride less than 175 in a day and have ridden as much as 375 miles one day. (we were on a mission)

So for me, in terms of comfort, it works very well. I plan on doing what ever is necessary to keep this one reliable/rideable for as long as possible.

Yea, it's pretty much rider preference as to what fits you best. I am 6'4" and I can not handle the old style seating position, I need rider forward. My hips/back hurt just thinking of being that bent over...not to mention standing up from a sitting position (which I do quite often) is a lot tough on the old style sleds.

My first post was all about the durability....

I have over 10,000 miles on it, the only unexpected repair I had was pistons and rings at 7800. The other things I did were to insure reliability and comfort. I can afford a newer one, but I dont want one. I think these things say volumes about durability.

If it's an 03 in the Rev chassis then it's not a Renegade. The Gade did not come out until 2004 in the Rev chassis.

So, it's possible the sled is a 2003 MXZ with a beaver tail delete and was extended to a 136" track, making it similar to a Renegade. If that's the case and it is an 03' Rev 600 there are a few things you need to find out. Have the rings been done, they were a big issue on the 03' Rev 600's. Compression test is a must when buying. Also, has the owner checked/changed the carb boots, they need to be taken off to inspect them properly. They were an issue from 03' to around 05' I believe.....issue being that they cracked/delaminated. If they are cracked and you don't replace them good chance you will burn down the engine. I went with RAD valves on mine to get rid of the rubber altogether. Those are the two biggest things to look for on an 03' Rev.

If it is a Renegade on the Rev chassis, it's probably an 04 model but may have been built in late 2003.