• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Report? Crosslake / Breezy / Pequot / Emily / Outing-ish area

DewDropper89

Hi all -

I was wondering if anyone has been out on the trails in the Crosslake or surroundng areas recently? A brother and a friend and I are thinking of heading up to Crosslake this coming weekend for riding there and in the widely surrounding area, but I have heard somewhat negative reports due to rain, etc. in the last 10 days or so. The trail reports by chambers of commerce and snowmobile clubs seem real hit and miss and I sometimes wonder if they'd really say if it was no good (as this would deter tourism!). Anyone have any recent, first hand accounts of the area? I don't need "perfect" conditions, but I don't want to force it and rail on the machines either. Any reports would be MUCH appreciated, including any updates if we get snow this week. Thanks all!

well here the deal i live in brainerd and i'm headin to the north shore this week end

i think riding around here would be ok

i cant say for i havnt been out but i thinkin it might be icy

the grommers are gromming so maybe its churned up enough i'm not sure

you are more than welcome to join us on the north shore

the more the merrier

check the northshore gtg thread

DewDrop, Brainard is a great area. I have a camper up there on a lake and spend just about every weekend up there so I love it. With that said, as far as sleding goes, it depends what kind of riding you like. It is great if your a Bar-hopper! Run a lake, run a ditch, cross a road, stop at a bar, run another lake, run another ditch, cross another road, stop at another bar! If I am going to run on that many lakes I would have a porty ice house behind me! wink That's why I lake the Northshore or areas with lots of woods I can get back into. If you are going up to the Cross Lake area, I would suggest if you don't want to run on lakes, ditches, and cross roads all day. Is head out north of Cross Lake and hit some of the trails heading north. Lots of woods and nice trails up that way. Have fun. smile

Leech -

Yep, I am on your train of thought - Crosslake just happens to be "home base" (we keep our machines there), but we are in it for the snowmobiling and scenery, NOT the barhopping. I only get up there about twice a year for snowmobiling and often head away from the real "resorty" areas to the north, but haven't ventured particularly far...we'd like to go on some longer, all day type runs this time. That being said, maybe you can suggest a favorite route or destination that I've never tried - since I don't get up too often, I'm sure there are a bunch. Any particular towns you head toward for nice long runs? I always love hitting a new trail and seeing some new things and would welcome hearing about someone's favorite.

Thanks all!

Leech -

Yep, I am on your train of thought - Crosslake just happens to be "home base" (we keep our machines there), but we are in it for the snowmobiling and scenery, NOT the barhopping. I only get up there about twice a year for snowmobiling and often head away from the real "resorty" areas to the north, but haven't ventured particularly far...we'd like to go on some longer, all day type runs this time. That being said, maybe you can suggest a favorite route or destination that I've never tried - since I don't get up too often, I'm sure there are a bunch. Any particular towns you head toward for nice long runs? I always love hitting a new trail and seeing some new things and would welcome hearing about someone's favorite.

Thanks all!

Well you could always trailer up to the Northshore which we have a small group hitting this Sat 6th in Finland. But, from Cross lake. You could trailer up and take Outing all the way to Longville or Remer. Or Outing-Longville-Walker if you want to take a long run. You could also hit that area by hitting the trail going north out of CrossLake and crossing co rd 1. But one of my fav, spots is running up and hitting the Paul Bunyan S/F going out of Akeley or down from Walker. Get a map at any gas station around there and you can ride all day in the woods up there? smile

dewdrop

its little bit of ride for you guys to get on it

but its on all the maps i think the sweetest trail up here

is the snoway 1 it kinda runs parrell with the paul bunyan

it goes all the way to bemidji and it in the woods hills

and curvy well groomed not heavily traveled goes as far noth as you then if you want a fast trip back yyou fly down the pb trail

like leech said you guys are welcome to join us on the north shore

Dew, I am going to be sledding on Friday (tomorrow) and we are on the long narrow lake east of town in Crosslake. Will jump down to hwy 36 and enter by Velvet, take the Crosslake Trail until the intersection, then take towards Emily, then just before it hits hwy 6, take the route (forget the name) that goes right across hwy 6 to south side of Ruth Lake, that will take you long ways to intersection that goes to Outing or Aitkin. Will go towards Outing. That whole stretch is only a couple roads to cross, and maybe only a mile or so of ditch riding.

Once you get to Outing I am not sure, haven't done that, but from maps it looks pretty woods type trails, no ditches. Several ways you can return.

I went over to Breezy Point area a few weeks ago for the first time, and that stretch through Crosslake is a PITA in the ditchs and approachs.

Good luck! Hope it snows some more!

just a thought here !!!!!!!!!!!

we are spose to get a couple of inches friday could be enuff to dress things up around here.... leech and mabr and dew drop

wondering if if everybody would be interested in heading up the snowway 1 towords bemdji i've only been as far as walker but its

a sweet trail we can ride as far as bemdji or not decide as we go.. theres a couple of different spots to eat but but they are in towns of the trail the trail is pretty in the woods

it would be alittle closer for every body

and a pretty good group half dozen guys !!

just a thought...chime in !!