• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

7 Week Old Lab Issues

EXTREME

It has been a dozen years since I have had a pup(lost my friend in November). Anyway, I need some advice. I have had her about a week and am trying to crate train her for sleeping at night. Lets just say it has been challenging to say the least. She loves the crate, but since I kennel her all day long when we are at work, she figures that the night time is for playing. Last night I got about 3 hours of sleep with all the whining. This past weekend wasn't that bad because the kids and myself were playing with her during the day, but when I am at work, there is not much I can do. Let me know if anybody has any ideas, because I am tempted to put her in the kennel downstairs away from my earshot. Thanks

You can try a warm water bottle and an alarm clock. She will be needing a lot of daily exercise when she gets a little older. Her whining may not be just from loneliness. She is too young to hold her bladder all night, and she does not want to soil her crate. This will also make her whine. Limit water intake close to bedtime and someone will probably need to take her out at night. Good luck

Is it possible to let her out at lunch for a little romp? A full 8-9 hours is a long time for young pup to be crated. Maybe a friend or neighbor could let her out if you can't get home?

Otherwise, wear her out between the time you get home and bed time.

Unfortunately, no matter what you do, you're likely going to deal with some whining for a bit. She should settle in after a couple of weeks. The big thing is to not give her attention when she whines. Just let her whine. If you give her any attention, you'll just be reinforcing the whining.

Putting the crate downstairs is a good option. I wore earplugs for the first week or so with our dog.

They cant hold it for 8-10 hours over nite at that age. When mine was that young I just got up in middle of nite and took him out for a pee. It was kind of nice and quiet anyway and then at least they wont whine all nite and you can get some sleep. It helps to get them real tired before nite time, exercise.

I just went through what you are going through this fall with a lab puppy (she is now 6 months old). First off, 7 weeks old is very young. She is learning to be separated from her mom and the other pups and will whine and seek attention. She will also need to go to the bathroom atleast every 4 hours at that age like others are saying. This a tough time of year to have a puppy because they need alot of exercise, attention and frequent bathroom breaks and its downright cold out. Patience is about your only remedy at this point, she will grow up soon enough, until then, you'll have to get used to taking her out in the middle of the night (or cleaning up messes).

Being crated all day is too long for a 7 week old pup, and another 8 hours at night is pushing it. The other thing I realised after reading this is if you have had her for a week she was six weeks old when you got her, I don't agree with breeders letting pups go at six weeks, not good in my opinion.

In all fairness to the pup find someone to let her out at least once during the day, and give her alot of exercise when you are home.

Well I appreciate the opinions. She gets lots of exercise when we are home and the weekends. Last night is what got me. I have been getting up every 3-4 hours or so to let her out...but being kenneled up all day, she feels like playing all night. I will deal with it and hope for the best. Also, what age do you guys start working on simple training?

Puppys are tough I agree they test us for sure, your probably going to get up at least one time a night for the next month and from that point on you can start to slack off>>>>>>

In reality dogs thrive in an advirment that has rules and structure, (play time is play time) (work time is work time) and (crate time is crate time) but for the next few weeks the pup still has a crate time of about 3 hours and then theres going to be a mess to clean up. Get used to getting up during the night... Comes with owning a puppy

Simple training, = Hot dog training?? Day 1 and always make it fun

Pups are kids you are not providing enough play or bonding.. Besides the clock and warm blanket you might add a stuffed toy. Again it is just like a kid and has now been separated from the litter of course it going to be lonely and you are suppose to be its new best friend.All mine slept in a kennel next to the bed.Bonding at this age is crucial.

The hot dog "hot trail is a excellent way to start a pup.Always fun they are just like kids..

Well last night went better. I wore her out pretty good before bed time and only had to get up 2 times in 7 hours. I don't mind that and to tell you the truth knew I had to do it. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about my day schedule, so daytimes will be awfully boring to her. She does pretty darn good about not soiling her kennel. Only 2 times in the past 8 weekdays. I would have preferred that she was 9 weeks old before I took her, but he wanted them all gone at 6 weeks. I am not sure what you guys mean by "Hot Dog"? So far I have been working on some fetching, and potty training. Trying to make it all fun. When do you guys get "serious"?

It's not going to hurt her to start learning sit, down, stay, and heeling right off the bat. Most obedience schools will start pups in the 10-12 week stage.

I would not wait to start with her. Worry about housetraining and the basics of obedience. Keep is short (very short for a young pup) and fun, and always end on a positive note. I would hold off on fetching (aside from just doing it for fun) until she's got some basic obedience down.

It brings a smile to my facing hearing other peoples experiences. My pup is 16 weeks old today. I got up three times a night the first week and two times a night for the next week and then once for a week or two. Now I don't get up at all unless I have to pee. I bring Jack to work every day with me and keep him in my truck. Then at lunch I can let him out and do some basic training. With a comforter around his kennel he's been fine and now he's too hot laying on the couch with me. Would rather lay on floor (or bounce of the walls). Jack knows how to sit, stay, come, hold, drop, heel, go potty, lay down, "drink", and the command for "in the house" as well as some others I can't think of. It's amazing how much they absorb at a young age from five minutes here and there. He's far from being perfect on ANYTHING but he knows what those commans mean. I wouldn't wait at all for basic training. I bought Jack out in South Dakota in December pheasant hunting and kept every wing from all the birds and he's been retreiving them since day one. I think I'll be picking up some live pigeons this weekend for him to see how that goes...

With each passing day I like Jack more and more. Someday he might be half the dog my last one was.

Training starts the day you bring them home. Every time you feed them you put the dish in front of them BUT before they get their food you say "Sit" and push softly on the rear end. Make the dog sit for a second. Each day you lengthen the time of the sit before the release.

Do you have a narrow hallway? If so, roll up one of your tube socks into a ball, hold the pup, get them wound up, throw the sock to the end hallway and start getting happy. Do this a few times, 2-3 times a day.

As another poster mentioned, they are sponges for education at this time of their lives. Take advantage of their "want" to learn.

GOOD LUCK and ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

Well I appreciate the opinions. She gets lots of exercise when we are home and the weekends. Last night is what got me. I have been getting up every 3-4 hours or so to let her out...but being kenneled up all day, she feels like playing all night. I will deal with it and hope for the best. Also, what age do you guys start working on simple training?

Thanks guys, any tips are appreciated. I just got done with a 5 minute training session. Was getting her wound up with a toy pheasant and thowing it in my hallway. She would charge up to it; sometimes she would bring it back...sometimes she wouldn't. No biggie. I was also working on sitting. She did it a couple of times after about 10 times of tapping on the butt. It is fun, and they grow so fast. My previous lab had me not wanting a new dog. She was an elderly pain in the butt. The morning after she passed, I already missed not having a dog in the house. My wife wasn't happy, but I was on the lookout for a dog. I figured that my boys are the right age (7&4)to be duck hunting when she is in her prime. With that said, all the dogs that I have had have been more than hunting partners....they are family.

It sounds like your on the right track, but I also get the feeling you really don't know where to go next, with her training, If you really want to get her started right I recomend the video in the link below, after watching it 3 times I really think it's the best puppy retriever video out there and anyone with commen sence can folow it. A bit pricey but if you decide to go with it I know you would be happy with the results.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2147516/great_New_Puppy_video#Post2147516

Another good one is by Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginings"

Tapping is asking, a gentle push is telling. DO NOT ask when training your dog. Once you have softly pushd her butt to the floor just hold it down for a second. She will pick this up very quickly.

Remember how many times you threw the toy down the hallway. If after 2 she starts to hesitate bringing it back stop at 2. If it was on the 4th try stop at 4. Always, always end on a postive note.

The video that Todd has suggested is top notch, #1 puppy video on the market, hands down!!!

Continued success with your new family member, you are correct, they are a BIG part of your family.

Thanks guys, any tips are appreciated. I just got done with a 5 minute training session. Was getting her wound up with a toy pheasant and thowing it in my hallway. She would charge up to it; sometimes she would bring it back...sometimes she wouldn't. No biggie. I was also working on sitting. She did it a couple of times after about 10 times of tapping on the butt. It is fun, and they grow so fast. My previous lab had me not wanting a new dog. She was an elderly pain in the butt. The morning after she passed, I already missed not having a dog in the house. My wife wasn't happy, but I was on the lookout for a dog. I figured that my boys are the right age (7&4)to be duck hunting when she is in her prime. With that said, all the dogs that I have had have been more than hunting partners....they are family.

The pooch is doing much better thanks in part to all your advice. She is getting up once a night, and that is very tolerable. One more question for ya; how do you guys get the dog to "come" to you. I was trying it yesterday with a rope in my hallway. I would make her sit(she does this very well)and say her name and "come". Then I give a tug on the rope if necessary. Is this the proper way to do this? Any other suggestions?? Thanks

The pooch is doing much better thanks in part to all your advice. She is getting up once a night, and that is very tolerable. One more question for ya; how do you guys get the dog to "come" to you. I was trying it yesterday with a rope in my hallway. I would make her sit(she does this very well)and say her name and "come". Then I give a tug on the rope if necessary. Is this the proper way to do this? Any other suggestions?? Thanks

That's a good start. I will add this: Use the command COME. When you use this command, make it very specific what she must do (when I say COME, my dog needs to come to me and sit directly in front of me). And make sure she does it correctly every single time (this is where the rope comes in). When you're out and about and you just want her to come with you, use a different command (i.e HERE, LET'S GO, COMEERE. etc). If you say COME and you don't make her do it, she will learn that she does not have to obey.

Also, never, ever punish her after using the COME command. You want her coming to you to be a good thing so she wants to do it.

Good luck. She's young, so have patience. From what I have seen, labs pick up on this very quickly. It can be an absolute bear with other dogs. It took ages with our Great Dane, and while he'll do it pretty reliably, he generally is pretty slow about it smile

I began training my dog at 9 weeks old and jumped into dead bird retrieving in just a few weeks. One of the probelems she was having was bringing me the bird(or the dummy).

Try the "come" command and if they just and look at you like your stupid, take off running the other direction and every single time the dog will come running towards you. Then reinforce the command. Yell and flail your arms if you have to.

Just don't let the neighbors see you do this they'll think your nuts.

Extreme, sorry to hear about the loss of your last buddy. As for training your new pup, their attitude will usually tell you if you are pushing too much too soon. But you can usually get them to sit, stay and retrieve regularly by 3-6 months. One fun game that works really well for young hunting dogs is to play fetch in the house with a balled up sock, but do it after dark. Throw the sock into a dark room and have them retreive it, then gradually advance to hiding it into a room(s) and having them find it completely "blind". This game teaches them to use their nose for retreives instead of relying on their eyes.

I agree with using the "come" command as well. Always using the same commands will make things much easier. I also used a snap of my fingers to mean come as well. I use this because I'm horrible at whistling. It doesn't work very well if they're far away but if I clap my hands she'll come running to me. The snap is nice for being around people. We had a bunch of people over for a christmas party and the dog was at the other side of the house with a bunch of people. I snapped my fingers and she came running toward me. Better than trying to yell over everyone else for the dog to come.

Good luck with everything and remember the time you put in now makes a big difference down the road.

Ralph Wiggum and I are training at the same school so we have the same approach to the 'Come' command.

My lab didn't catch on very fast but he knows what it is now. Now its working on consistancy.

Basic method to teach them is to sit them, tell them wait, walk out to the end of the leash, turn and face them, and hopefully he is still sitting where you left him. That was my first problem to overcome. Then give your dogs name and the command come in an enthusiastic voice. We were told to only give the command 1 time. If he doesn't come, give a slight tug on the leash and you can use the leash to direct him towards you. Once he's in front of you, he sits and faces you. This was problem #2 for me, actually getting him to sit in the corret position.

My first day of Intermediate class, all the other dogs were doing this off leash and from across the room. I had only been doing it on leash from the length of the leash away. By the end of the first day of Intermediate, I could leave him off leash and call him from 20 yards or so and he'd come ripping right over. The nice sit in front of me still has to be worked on however.

I took this game into the house and can now make him wait in the kitchen while I go to the complete other end of the house, out of eyesight even, command him to come, he'll come right to me and sit politely. I'm still shocked. We'll see how class goes next week. smile