• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any suggestions would help...

Da Biggin

I have a 10 week old German Shorthair and he's an awesome pup. The only thing is he suffers from horrible seperation anxiety. I was wondering if anyine had any ideas as to how I can get him past this, if this is a phase or if this is something I'm going to have to deal with (I hope not my house cant take much more damage)? PLease help

I do crate him but he makes it sound like someone is sawing off his foot or something. So, at times I try to "puppy proof" my house to no avail. He always finds something to tear up and its never the things I leave for him that are intended to be torn up or chewed on.

How about putting him a bathroom or laundry room, something bigger than a crate but that's not too big or has too many things to get into? Mind you he might scratch the heck out of the door or something. Our Beagle freaked out when we left at first. He whined and howled like he was nuts in his crate. Then we tried the bathroom and it was better but he'd scratch up the rug and tip over his food and what not. Finally we tried leaving him alone on the main level with gates up so he couldn't go up or down stairs. Now he just sleeps on the couch in the living room while we're gone and is calmer than ever. Might not be the answer for you but something will eventually work for him. You just have to find it. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Crate training would be best. Get him used to it. Make it his safe place. A 10 week old pup should never be left to it's own devices. Bad things will happen. If you or someone else can't supervise him then you need to crate him.

You need to crate train him. Start with short, short doses of the crate when you're there (a few minutes at a time). Never let him out when he's whining--but when he quiets, then let him out. Gradually increase the time in the crate. After a while, crate him and leave the house for a short time, then come back and let him out (when he's quiet). The goal is to build confidence so that he knows that you'll be coming back to let him out.

Quote:
If you or someone else can't supervise him then you need to crate him.

Agree 100%

Crate him. Separation anxiety is a nifty popular psycho term. He's a puppy, nothing more. Crate him, use the above tips. He'll get used to it. The whining will stop. Thick skin (or earplugs grin) and patience will do wonders. Agreed w/ gspman, definitely do not leave him to his own devices at that age.

yes earplugs might not be a bad idea. If your GSP pup can hit the same soprano that mine used to have, I feel your pain! Crate training is a blessing from Heaven, or whichever divine place you may or may not believe in...

Your dog will still play/destroy stuff in the kennel, but you have a choice as to what that is. My gsp destroys Kongs and similar "indestructible" toys at will when he is in there while we're at work.

It also is more humane to the dog when the dog finally learns tha the kennel is his place of security. At 7 mos, mine now enters his kennel and stays there upon the command "kennel up". Certain times it is priceless to be able to get the dog out from under your feet around the house too. Working on the kitchen sink last night for example... good luck with it! Kennels aren't real cheap is the only small, very small downside, but don't let that stop you.

Thank You all for the pointers... I have been doing crate training but not as often as I should I guess. "Kennel Up" sounds like a great command that will come in handy when it's time to leave the field so I will start using that when I put him in there. Well... Here goes nothing. I will have to really start him on a regimine of kennel training just as rigorous as his "sit", "stay", "come" commands. Thanks again for all the help. I look forward to using all of you for future advice with the next roadblocks on the way to the great bird dog I know he will be if you dont mind sharing.

Crate training would be best. Get him used to it. Make it his safe place. A 10 week old pup should never be left to it's own devices. Bad things will happen. If you or someone else can't supervise him then you need to crate him.

You got the right idea from these guy's, there fast on great responses.

One more little thing to add. You will think I'm wierd but who doesn't. A trick I do that works, is to cover the front or block the view of the pup. If he can't see you after awhile he will shut up. I drape a bath towl over the door and hold it up with the bag of food on top. If your dog is gifted at getting thier small paws through your gate as my dog River is, then you can use cardboard or something. You don't want them to get it and chew a towel up. This is just for getting them through puppy stages. Testing them every so often by giving them there view, and when they throw a fit, say no no no and slide the cover in place again. After a while they get the idea that they like a view better and shut up. Who doesn't like a room with a view. Also no free running is helpfull,everyone wants to play with the pup all the time, there sooooo qute. But with your gundog this is a good idea to stucture the time out of the kennel with fun taining and the dog looks forward to it.Then put them away, and repeat offten.

The other suggestion that I would add... buy a Kong toy, and put a treat, or peanut butter or something inside of it. Then everytime that you are going to leave, tell him to go in his kennel, and give him his Kong. Eventually, when its time for you to leave, your dog will run around the house looking for his Kong so that he can get a treat. Then he'll realize that you leaving is actually not a bad thing at all, as he gets rewarded. It gives him a way to burn off a little energy, use his brain, and is a positive experience.

I feel your pain on the noisy, whiney crate action. I've got a 9 wk old GWP. Things have been improving the past few days and I think we're turning the corner. Just stick with the plan and NEVER let that pup out until they are quiet and composed. Otherwise you condition them the get out when they are naughty.

Definetly want to crate train and make it a fun place for your pup! Make sure to use a happy voice when putting him in the crate and praise him for going in with "good puppy" or something of that sort!! When i got my labn he was 7 weeks old and had nevert been in a crate before and i started him right away! I put a few chew toys in hte crate and set him in it by saying kennel and then good boy in a happy voice. The first week or so he would wine for a good 5-10 minutes but then he woulkd get over it and fall asleep or play with hjis toys!! Remember to make it a positive place for the pup and NEVER use it as a punishment for the dog!!

Treats work well for dog crate training too! Set a treat inside the crate and when he goes in slowly shut the door and tell him good dog with lots of praise in a happy voice!! I have learned in training my dog, that the biggest thing in training is training myself to use the right tones of voice, training has to do more with the owner than it does the dog!!