• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie with strips?

south_metro_fish

My friend was out crappie fishing tonight and he caught a unusual looking crappie. Its was less rounded and more narrower on the top and bottom and a narrower almost perch like head. instead of spots on its main body it has about 11 vertical strips going along its body and its color was less silvery and more light green. Weirdest crappie I have ever seen. Could it have cross breed with a perch or gill or something? I would put a pic up but the rules with no dead fish pics makes it so I can't. Any one ever heard of a crappie like this.

I could possibly put up a link if that's ok?

Maybe the mods will let you post, considering it is something interesting and not a stringer pic.

no way it cross bred with anything other than a white/black crappie.

white crappies have stripes. color may vary a bit.

As for the head, it might have had some sort of birth defect or injury when it was little. I caught a carp with a weird head this summer. Check it out:

P6260049.jpg

I caught a couple last week and my buddy had never seen one so I showed him the difference between the black and white and it is pretty obvious if you put the 2 together......the white will have a narrower head and verticle stripes on the body and the black will have a rounder head and spots on the body.....plus at least in the lake we were fishing the black crappies are generally thicker than the white crappies

south metro, go ahead and post a pic, we're on the edge of our chairs.

P_annularis.JPG

White Crappie

P_nigromaculatus.jpg

Black Crappie

It's very hard to tell apart hybrids. Phenotypically they tend to look like one or the other. Using DNA markers, their genotype can be differentiated to species or hybrid level