• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to set up the shack?

D-fresh

Greetings from Michigan again...I posted a couple times on this board in recent years, gonna try to be a more active poster as I think this site is great. I keep up with the threads, and it seems there are a lot of great sportsman here! I have a question for you guys, maybe you can put X's on the map, where would your top 2 or 3 spots be for this little bay that we fish. We have exhausted quite a bit of effort this year, just wondering if we are overlooking something. This is a bay on one of the great lakes, so DEEP water is not too far away. Since the map doesn't give a scale for reference, the total map is probably 3 miles x 3 miles.

baymap.jpg

I'd get outside the shack and drill more holes. See what you can find. It is always more rewarding when you can find your own spots and not ask for spots.

I have speared for 20 years or so, trust me I have found PLENTY of my own spots. The point of this thread was to see how different darkhouse guys interpret a contour map and to share ideas so people (myself included) might learn something. (I apologize if the title was a little misleading) I am not "asking for spots" rather just trying to discuss depth structure and what different guys look for. This isn't your typical inland lake, spearing the great lakes is a completely different ballgame! No need to get snippy with me and tell me not to "ask for spots"! Obviously depth contours are only a small but integral part to locations...weed cover, sand, rocks, current, all play a role too and I am aware of that.

7 by the ramp and 7 straight to the left of that on the other side of the map

You mainly look at inside turns? What about that sunken mini-island? Small spot that jumps to 6' with 9' around it? Anyone ever find pike like this sort of structure? Seems like more of a walleye structure to me, just wondering.

I'm 10yards from a hump on an inside turn I've only seen bass so far but the hump goes from 30 to 15 so ill let ya know if a hump is a good spot smile I mainly like shore points then inside turns next if both r present then ull see me there!

I would set up right in between the 6 and 7 foot inside turns both of them and on the south side of that 6 ft hump as the sun will be on that spot the longest that might not matter but thats how I think. then the later in the year I would move to the deep spot and it looks to be 10fow

Any weedlines?

How deep are the weeds?

I like where it says Ruins but if that is only 2 FOW, strike that.

There seems to be 6 FOW out from the point of land on the left of the map... that may be a good spot to scope out too.

It also says entrance to channel marked by aids to navigation. Is there a boat channel going to the weeds on the bottom right of the map? If so the clearing of the weeds (the channel) would be a great spot too. I could see pike cruzing the channel with weeds to both sides of them.

I would set up just off the side of the hump where the fish will probably cruise. Do you ever see fish like salmon or trout when you're spearing on the Great Lakes?

We see a wide variety of fish, including walleye, pike, whitefish, bass, perch, lake trout, steelhead, brown trout, and salmon. Salmon, browns, and steelies are only on rare occasions, but I have seen them.

Any weedlines?

How deep are the weeds?

I like where it says Ruins but if that is only 2 FOW, strike that.

There seems to be 6 FOW out from the point of land on the left of the map... that may be a good spot to scope out too.

It also says entrance to channel marked by aids to navigation. Is there a boat channel going to the weeds on the bottom right of the map? If so the clearing of the weeds (the channel) would be a great spot too. I could see pike cruzing the channel with weeds to both sides of them.

I updated the map with the weed beds that I personally know about form first hand experience. I don't know as much about the south side of the bay, as evident by the updated image. The weedbed that runs on the north drop off is SOLID weeds from the bottom all the way through the ice to the top. You are correct there is a channel on both the north and south sides, we've tried in the North channel with no luck. The south channel isn't marked, but I have a waypoint to the entrance from fishing for walleye in the spring/summer! That was going to be my next move!

baymap1.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input so far, it's always interesting to see how different people interpret things....that's how we learn!

Thanks for hanging out with us here in the spearing forum

I would set up right on that 10 fow mark, just on the edge of the weed line. If you look at that 10 foot mark, and look start up, get on that hook of the weed line! Run your decoy a bit higher, say 5-7 fow so the fish that are in the shallow water will see it!

Whatcha got for weeds by the point that is just barely in the pic on the left side?

Is there a submerged sand bar that goes out from that point?

Many times there is.

I would bet there are forage fish (perch sunnies etc) on that sand bar if so.

I tried the little corner drop on the top right of the map, right on the edge of the weed bed. I had limited success there, saw LOTS of little fish (have to be at least 24" in Michigan to keep) and I got a couple decent fish.

After a couple days we decided to move half way between the "3" and the "7" under the Y in Bay and that is where we found the fish. There is a little creek that dumps into the bay right there and the fish are stacked up there. Seeing on average 5 fish a day, lots of fish 38"+ with the average size being mid-30" range. These fish grow a lot faster on the big lake then they do on the small inland lakes! One fish we had was around 36" and it had a 20" 5lb carp in the stomach when we filleted him out! I am up to 5 fish speared this year, passed on a lot of fish. Sure is fun watching them, I had a 36ish" fish come in and absolutely destroy a 9" bear creek decoy, the deke disappeared in the mouth.

bear creek baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, they are made right here in Michigan, I have been spearing for 20 years or so and that's all we have ever used. I have a few wooden dekes, but 95% of the time, I'm running 2 bear creeks stacked in the hole.