• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone ever tried this?

browning_gold

Something like this? smile

I used plastic incase I hit it with my spear. wink

3240670267_32148ba597.jpg

I never had great luck with it.

But I used sucker minnows not shinners.

By all means try it on your lake though!!

A friend of mine will go out tipup fishing while I spear.

He uses shinners and outfishes me every time.

I now use it to keep my sucker minnows alive by sinking it to the bottom when I leave the house.

It works good for that.

I might have to try this. It looks like it would work I think I would go for a 1/2 scoop of crappie minnows though. One of the northern I speared yesterday had about 20 1" sunnies in it's belly when I fileted it. I wonder if this puts me over limit?lol

I think I am going to try it with shiners this weekend and see what happens.. Dont know unless you try..

Thanks Merkman for that pic.. Thats how I am going to do it!

Try to find a clear plastic jar without the lines in it.

I really don't recommend using glass if at all possible; IMO there is no need for the possibility of broken glass on the bottom of the lake.

Also make sure the lid screws on and be careful when drilling the holes in the top. Plastic likes to grab the drill bit. I cracked the top a bit drilling the holes.

I do have about 5 feet of 5” thick walled clear plastic tube I was thinking about doing the same thing with, but I haven’t completed that hillbilly project yet. smile

My dad and uncle both said they used to do this Back in the day, way back dad said they did it because sometimes they couldnt get the big decoy suckers from the creeks or bait stores so they would put 2 or 3 smaller size suckers/chubs in the Glass jar and he said it would magnifiy the size of the sucker/chub to make it look bigger. they did spear pike this way. My dad also said that once in a while they would put a couple dozen crappie minnows in the jar and catch panfish that way also.