• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Studds? for newbie.

mabr

Wow we have been talking about going on a ride with other FMR's and I didnt think to ask whether we would be riding on any paved trails if we do finally get it all together. I got to thinking me being a newbie agian it might not hurt to read the regs for snowmobiles instaed of thinking i knew it all. Wow have things changed sense i rode last.

Question, Can I ride at all on a paved trail? I dont think i can from reading the regs. Are there that many in MN where I would need to worry about it? Dang I didnt even realize I needed a trail sticker!!! I thought i read somewhere you didnt need it anymore. That must have been NOT Needing the stud sticker? I seen no refrence to that in the regs (buying stud sticker)? By me having studs can I run everywhere else but paved trails?

What about ditches, If im running ditches and come across a (what looks like a maintained trail) Im guessing i need the trail sticker? I see tons of sleds running down highway 65 north of Blaine do they all have trail stickers? Now that I have read it it jogs my memory seeing stickers on some windshields but i gauruntee i see more that dont have it than those that do. I dont have any reservations to buy one I just want to understand the law.

The way I read it is if you have studs you cannot ride on any snowmobile trail if it is "paved". Other than that I think you can ride studs anywhere.

Sorry guys, Im sure you have talked about this previously but for whatever reson using search function on here doesnt work for me AT ALL. Need to send admin a question on that as well.

a trail that has asphalt on it.studded guys can run any trail but paved trails and trails marked NO STUDS. you dont need the stud sticker anymore,but you do need a trail sticker to ride any trail in MN,I think it's $31 for a 3 year sticker, and if you get caught on a trail without it you have to buy one every year,regardless if you ride trails or not

page 12 of the snowmobile regs. If you get caught riding on a state or grant-in-aid trail without a trail sticker,you have to buy a $31 dollar annual penalty sticker. not sure how many years you have to do this but I'm guessing it's more than 1 year. so basically if you don't spend $31 dollars on a 3 year sticker or $16 for a 1 year sticker and get caught you have to spend $31 every year for a sticker. A conservation officer told me at a sports show that if you get caught without the trail sticker,you have to buy the annual penalty sticker regardless,even if you dont want to ride the trails.

Minnesota has had the stud restrictions in place for over 10 years now and most of the above is correct. What was not mentioned is that in this state we have an aggressive initiative to pave as many major trails as possible to improve them for year round use such as bicycles, roller blades, and walking in the summer (no motorized vehicles in summer).

What you have to consider with a studded sled is that the many of the MAJOR trail routes are now paved and there is not a good alternative parallel route. This leaves the studded sleds looking for a way to get from one secondary trail to another without using the main route. Kind of like climbing a tree without using the main trunk. Studs are a great improvement in traction, but to ride in MN you need to plan your route carefully.

Just go on the DNR HSOforum and download their trail maps for whatever region of MN you want to ride. It has the trails marked where studs aren't permitted. If you find a trail that doesn't permit studs, contact whoever is listed as "in charge" for that region and see if there's an alternative route for your studded machine. We have a main trail along highway 61 that is stud restricted, but there's a trail right next to it that allows studded sleds. Good luck.

ya the better part of the paul bunyan trail here has a trail

or ditch running parrllel with it and it is groomed

you water situations bridges etc etc you are allowed to cross

before some one says !

i know the whole thing doesnt have parrllel trail

You need a trail sticker whenever you cross a public road so it you ride the ditch but never touch a road you dont need one but the minute you touch a road you need one and all the trails that you cant have studs on have a sign saying that you cannot ride on them with studs