• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Little Long

waterbound

Are you talking about the bay at the south end of the lake?

The guy at Wayzata Bait & Tackle I was talking to said I should set up right on the point, so I did. I was in about 9 feet of water and I had a sucker and an artificial down. The water was really clear and I was set up on a good bed of green weeds. About an hour after I set up the first fish cruised through (as I was turning down the heat and looking away) and I saw him on his way out with the sucker sticking out both sides of his mouth. I tried pulling him back in but I only got the sucker back. A while later the sucker was sitting there looking dead when he started moving so I grabbed my spear and watched a pike slide in right behind him. I waited for him to come in a little closer and threw my spear only to find out I overestimated how fast he was moving and put the spear right in front of his nose. I'm disappointed I missed but I'm glad I saw some fish today. On the plus side, both fish were probably under 20 inches and I don't have to worry about cleaning tiny y-bones tonight.

waterbound if you go back to little long use trout colored decoys there are trout in that lake. when I cleaned the one I got last GTG it had a nice 12 inch rainbow in its belly.

BTW that Pike came to a trout colored spoon on a hillbilly spinner wink

I was back out there yesterday in the same spot and the water clarity wasn't great and it got worse as the day went on frown. It looked like it was just silt or something suspended in the water and I was able to clear my hole so I could see the bottom if I ran my scoop through a bunch and pushed it all to one side of the hole but that would only keep it clear for a minute or so. Didn't see any fish. This is what I was looking at all day...

100_1107.jpg

Oh yeah, my decoys (there are two down if you can't see them) were about 3 feet down.

I was able to clear my hole so I could see the bottom if I ran my scoop through a bunch and pushed it all to one side of the hole but that would only keep it clear for a minute or so.

Are you sure it wasn't coming from the inside of your house?

It looks like the slush around your hole is covered in it too.

Or is that from you scooping it out?

It wasn't coming from inside my house it was dirty the whole time I was there and it kept getting worse. The slush was clean when I scooped it out but it got dirty as I was trying to clear the silt out...I really don't know what was going on, I don't think there are carp or anything to stir up the bottom though.

from what I remember there was a creek that fed that lake and a creek that went out could have been a change in temps and currents doing it. thats what sometimes happens on my lake about this time of year. also it could be from the veggitation also now that the snow is covering the ice and in the shallow the 02 is getting to be less the veggitation will start to be affected and will actully cause the lakes to start getting dirty. but dont give up on it. should clear back out just might be a couple days to weeks before it happens.

I've never heard of that happening, but it makes sense. I don't think I'll be able to get out spearing for a little while though, I'm working all week except Friday but I'm dedicating that day to lakers. Hopefully the water will be cleared up by the time I can hit it again.

gordie is right, there is water that flows into that lake, and thats what might be cuasing it from being so dirty now. I remember when i was out there last year with a buddy of mine, adn he was in 15 fow, and could see the bottom plan as day! But things do change if there is water flowing into the lake!