• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fetching

Kyle

Hello,

I have been working with my golden on fetching. He loves going after moving objects, and will even bring it in the direction of where I am, but then cuts away from me. I have tried training in the house where he doesnt have the ability to go anywhere else, but even then he still tries to sneak past me, or turns his head down and away when he gets close. How can I get him to REALLY want to bring it back to me? I use treats for other things that we are working on, so I would like to do this without them. I want him to understand the game of fetching so that the objective for him is for me to throw it again. I figure this method would be more beneficial for a future in hunting.

He is just at 4 months, and I guess I dont have a specific program. Ive just been doing alot of reading, and research via internet...Havent found a method for fetching that I really like, or that works well yet... He is very, VERY smart, and I feel like he wouldnt have a problem with the command if "I" could just figure out a way to redirect him to me. He has picked up on all of the other commands within one session or two.

Kyle,

Sounds like your really interested in training your dog, first thing I would recomend being you are from St. Cloud is joining the Central Mn Retriever Club, you have awasome training grounds and a great group of people in your back yard that can help you and your pup. The club has training days, informal trials, ect. and is low cost. If your interested feel free to E-mail me at [email protected].

Second I would recomend that you begin to follow a step by step proven program for you and your puppy. Books are great and I try to read everthing I can get my hands on, but for a first timer you may be better off with a video series, so you can see the steps. A system I recomend is the "FowlDawg Series" by Fineline retrievers, they won't break the bank and are easy to follow, the same steps that you see are used for FT, HT and gun dogs, basics through transition .

What you are seeing in your puppy is it's prey drive, nothing to be allarmed about, be happy that your dog has some. Most dogs don't naturally want to bring back there "Catch" wether it be a sock or a fresh shot duck, thats where we come in as trainers, we have to train that retrieving is a team thing, they need the understandng that without you (handler) they don't get to retrieve.

the dog in my avatar is a QAA dog, most likely the best dog I will ever lay my hands on and he was terrible as a puppy bringing "stuff" back, but he has incredible prey drive, a good trait to have. All this can be overcome through training.

shoot me an email if you have any questions

Todd

One of my biggest frustrations with my 6 month old yellow lab is he will NOT bring anything back to me. He'd rather run all over the backyard with it proud as can be but then it becomes a game to get it back from him. Guess I'm not sure what to do now as it'll turn into tug a war and I don't want to encourage that, so he'll pretty much play keep away.

When I do toss something or get it away from him to throw again, he is so wound up its incredible. He seriously loves to fetch but I just can't get him to give it back to me, and I'm sure its because I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm currently doing obedience training at a training center which has tought me so much but any tips as to hunting training around the Cities, or a retriever club I could check out?

I'm finally getting him to Sit, Down, and Stay which is absolutely incredible as this wasn't in his vocabulary 2 weeks ago.

Hanson

Went through the same type of deal with my Yellow Lab. First make sure you have sit, stay, come down. Keep retrieving fun for right now, but in short sessions. No more than 10 minutes a day. Try playing fetch in a hallway so it has to bring the dummy back. Praise the dog and throw it again. It should get the idea that if it brings it back this guy will throw it again. Don't worry about steadyness. When your out in the yard the dogs going to want to goof off. Put a 30 foot lead on the dog so you can easliy grab the rope real him him praise him and throw it again. He should start getting the idea.

ONe thing that worked for me when working in the yard is I taught my dog the place command. I have a two foot high stump in my yard, thats the dogs place.Doesn't take long to teach your dog this. Just have the dog on a short leash and say place ahd have him jump up on the place whatever that may be. Preferably above the ground about a foot. Do this 2 or 3 days and the dog will have it down.

Any ways when you train out in the yard this will give your dog a reference point to come back to. When you work in the yard put the dog on his place then throw the dummy. When he goes and gets it grab the lead and gently pull him in why commanding place. Praise him throw the dummy again. Only throw dummays from his place for about a week. The dog will pick up on this and should start bring the dummay back to his place. After hes reliably bringing it back get rid of the Place board and command the dog heel. If he knows the heel command he should start bringing it back to your side. If you waterfowl hunt the place command is essential. For example my dogs place is on the front of the boat. Hope all this helps.

Another thing that helps immensly sp is having your dog force fetched. If your a serious duck hunter I would definetly take alook at this. You probably want a proffesional trainers help on this. But that would clean most of your dogs retrieving troubles up.

The training of the retrieve should be started as early as possible, like 6-7 weeks old. Get your pup in closed surroundings, ie, a narrow hallway. Roll up a sock or I like to use a small paint roller. The pup has one way to get what you throw and one way back to you. Do 3-4 of these per session maybe 2-3 times a day.

If you have waited to start this and are going to a soccer or baseball field, always, always always put a 10-20 foot small diameter rope to the collar. If they are inclined to run from you then you run from them and let the fun begin.

In another 2 months or so, roughly that 6 months of age and after they loose ALL of their puppy teeth you will move on to the force fetch. If you do a search on this site you will find more than your share of force fetch topics that have come up over the years. Some feel it isn't a requirement others feel it is. Personally, my feeling is a dog that does not have it done is somewhat incomplete. But that is my feelings, others will feel the opposite.

GOOD LUCK!!

Make sure you dont over work him, only train him when he is excited to be trained. I always watch the dogs tail, once he stops waging his tail, he isnt interested anymore. Stop for the day, then do it the next. Even if these are baby steps, he will enjoy being trained, and you will enjoy training him more.

First off the basics need to be instilled in the dog. Sit, Stay, Here. Then short retrieves and a 30' or so check cord that you can "reel" him back to you while saying "here" or "come" or whatever. You don't pull him back but when he gives you a little you take it until he's back to you then sit and give. If he wants to to get up prior to giving...SIT. Never retrieve off of the check cord until he gets coming back to you. As stated. You're dancing around at 4-6month with loosing teeth. The mouth gets tender and it's typically a good time to move away from retrieving for a bit and work on basics until the adult teeth have come in a little more.

My two cents...

If your dog is running away with his bumper and you call him to you and he doesn't respond....... you need to work on obidence(sp). Your dog should not hesitate to come when called.

Make sure you seperate Obidence training with retriever training.

at 4 month it should still be fun retrieving.

Yep they should know the COME command but the check cord will reinforce that once they get to the bumper they have to come back to you. It is still fun. They don't even know they're being reeled in. Like I said. It's not a pull them in, it's a take slack up when you can. They still shake their head and think that they are running and playing but have no choice but to come back to you.

we have all of the obediance commands down patt. He is smart, and is trying to train me. I recently purchased the series by FineLine as advised to by Todd, so I will have to see what their approach is to retrieving.

we have all of the obediance commands down patt. He is smart, and is trying to train me. I recently purchased the series by FineLine as advised to by Todd, so I will have to see what their approach is to retrieving.

Good for you kyle, It's a really good training program that I'm sure you and your pup will enjoy. Don't be afraid to start at the begining with your dog, and don't skip ANY steps thats how you get HOLES in your training.

Just got the videos in the mail. Im going to go watch the first one now. I wont be skipping anything...I've learned that if you take the short cuts in life they come back to bite ya in the rear. I have high hopes, and cant wait to get this pup rollin. Thanks Todd. Lets stay in touch!