• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing in Cass Lake

merkman

This was taken from the Muskie forums:

It seems this would solve some of the issues that stem around the confusion of the connecting waters of Cass Lake.

Give them a call and let them know we can already spear connecting waters (Andrusia, Kitchi, and Pike Bay) with out issues, why ban us from the big lake too?

In the last 24 hours I was informed that the Cass Lake Chamber of Commerce is going to have a vote amongst their members to see if they would like to have the spearing ban lifted on Cass Lake. From what I am told there is likely only one member of the Chamber that is against this.

Cass Lake, being a native muskellunge water is one of the few protected lakes we have in the state. Not only is it protected because of it being a native water, but it is an excellent fishery for bigger pike. For many reasons, we do not need to open this water up for spearing. There are many other opportunites in this area for spear fishermen.

I strongly encourage people to contact the Chamber of Commerce to voice your opinion against this. This vote is going to take place next Tuesday, January 5th. If they vote in favor, they will then pursue this with the DNR or perhaps another group that they feel can influence the DNR better than them. In my opinion, this needs to be stopped before it even gets off the ground.

Cass Lake Chamber of Commerce

105 US Hwy. 2

P.O. Box 548

Cass Lake, Minnesota 56633

Toll Free: 1-800-356-8615

Local Phone: 218-335-2250

Email: [email protected]

I just got done sending them an email of my own. But phones ringing off the hook against this would be great as well.

Aaron

Email sent:

Cass Lake Chamber of Commerce members,

I would like to take the time to voice my support on the lifting of the band of spear fishing on Cass Lake. It is legal to spear fish on other connecting lake with no ill effect on those lakes. Opening up Cass Lake would reinforce the ongoing battle with the state of MN that spear fishing has little to no impact on a lake or the lake system. Spear anglers are less than 1% of the total fishing population of the state of MN so the lifting of this band is only bettering fishing opportunity for all. If the Northern, Muskie controversy arises, there deference is quick and easily identified while in the water.

One other bonus there will be more revenue generated for the communities around the lake with more fishing opportunity for the angler to enjoy at this time of year (travel, eating, shopping).

Thank you and again I support the lifting of the spearing band on Cass Lake,

Evan Kolstad

Email sent:

Cass Lake Chamber of Commerce members,

I would like to take the time to voice my support on the lifting of the band of spear fishing on Cass Lake. It is legal to spear fish on other connecting lake with no ill effect on those lakes. Opening up Cass Lake would reinforce the ongoing battle with the state of MN that spear fishing has little to no impact on a lake or the lake system. Spear anglers are less than 1% of the total fishing population of the state of MN so the lifting of this band is only bettering fishing opportunity for all. If the Northern, Muskie controversy arises, there deference is quick and easily identified while in the water.

One other bonus there will be more revenue generated for the communities around the lake with more fishing opportunity for the angler to enjoy at this time of year (travel, eating, shopping).

Thank you and again I support the lifting of the spearing band on Cass Lake,

Evan Kolstad

Muskysucker first of all welcome to the HSO family and thank you for sharing your support for spearing.

Yes there will be alot of two sides of the story so to speak but that is what the Chamber of Commerce wants in order to do there jobs effectively so lets keep this as civil as we can and let these people do there jobs best they can.

Thank you