• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ordered the Cannon 50mm 1.8

I'd have to look for some stuff, but can say that it has been a great consistent lens for me for a number of years. I've done portraits, posters (up to 20x30), used it as a walk-around lens and also in low light museums with great luck. You'll be happy with this lens. It's always in my bag as a back-up on all my pro gigs. It gets used a fair amount.

I have some shots but the vast majority has been sport use. I do believe my current avatar was shot with the 50/1.8. I can say the lens has been gathering dust in my bag with the advent of good high ISO performance with newer bodies. I don't need the aperture of 1.8 that often and the focal length doesn't fit my shooting style in many of the venues I shoot.

My one complaint on the lens is the tendency for the focus to hunt, especially in lower light. Precisely when you really want to pull it out of your bag. For the cost I still would not be without one.

Here's one I took of a one year old with the 50mm @ f1.8, 1/125. I have learned that the low light use of the lens also will mean a narrow depth of field. In my photo her eyes and face are in focus,(which is the point of focus that is needed), but the hands that are closer to the camera are not. I do like to use this lens vs. the onboard flash of my XSI. I also like to get in close which only makes the DOF issue larger.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

4227539197_5be4670c5d.jpg