• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Depth

hitthebricks

depth now that can be the debate of the year for spearing guys.

I like to be some where between7-10 fow but have speared in as little as 3 fow and as deep as 26 ft now in the deeper water I'm only 2-3 foot under the ice with the decoys and have speared a few pike that way. water carity can be another hot topic also my self I like it just a little murky I dont think the pike are as spooky but thats just me. The lake I typically spear in about 7-8 fow you cant even see the bottom except for this year its crystal clear and I have done quite well I'm 1-3 foot under the ice with my decoys.

I guess what ever depth you feel comfotable in is great for you same goes with water clarity.

Very loaded question, Depending the time of year, I start out shallower, 6 fow, get close to the weed beds, they are green yet,holds lots of bait fish, the pike are in there with fat stomaches, they are not as aggresive, get more sliding in unless they are really putting on the feed bag.

As the year goes on, and the weeds start dying from lack of sunlight, I start moving out to deeper water, the breaks, 8-12 fow. but still nice to be close to weed flats or beds, even though they are dead or dying, they like the cover and the bait fish still use them as the only cover, but if you can still find green weeds, don't stray from that.

I am currently in 8-10 feet on the edge of flat and weed bed, seeing lots of pike, and lots of Whitefish, been lots of fun.

Water clarity for me personally is only reflected to how far a pike can see and how bad you want to make something out on the bottom, Its hard to stare down a hole when you can't see bottom, your eyes go whack-O after a couple hours of not seeing bottom. A pike will always come up to a decoy, so only run your decoys what you are comfortable throwing a spear. any deeper you risk a chance of wounding a fish.

first off, Welcome to Spearing Hit.

Second, MNSPEARING....welcome to FM. Glad to have ya part of the fam

As far as depth goes, you are all right, it can be alot of different things. I have seen it were there is guys that will only spear in 5 fow or less, and others that will spear in 28 fow.

I personally like to be in 10-14 fow. Reason for it is most of the times when you are looking at lakes, most of the weedlines are gone after 9-10 fow. Again, there is some lakes that have weedlines in deeper water, but most of the lakes that you set up in are going to have weedlines end after 10 fow.

Again, its personal, and what you feel comfortab

The way I understand this is, the depth doesn't matter so much, just find a spot with fish and work your decoy 3ft. or so under the ice.

HTB

Haha, that is true I suppose, although the fish could literally be anywhere in the lake...personally I would rather set up so I can see the bottom and watch other fish cruise through.