• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Start

harvey lee

I have a 98 Cat 400 4x4 and it would not start with the elec start the other day. I pull started it and when I got back to shore, I shut it off and then the elec starter worked fine.

Could it be that when the starter gets cold, the starter drive is dirty so it will not engage?

Sorry for the part post, phones were ringing.

I have a 98 Cat 400 4x4 and it

Harvey, are you OK? Don't like it when some one Quits a post with one line! Hopefull you just got it started and had to ride it down the road or something, or your wife called you to dinner? confused

NO, the battery power is fine as the lights are strong. When I hit the starter button, it clicks in the back of the wheeler where the wires are all routed to.

When it does engage the starter it sounds like a solenoid noise. The starter drive does not engage. If I hand start it, then shut it off, it will then start with the elec start.

NO, the battery power is fine as the lights are strong. When I hit the starter button, it clicks in the back of the wheeler where the wires are all routed to.

When it does engage the starter it sounds like a solenoid noise. The starter drive does not engage. If I hand start it, then shut it off, it will then start with the elec start.

Throw a charger on it, the lights will still be on even if you don't have enough juice to turn over the starter. The starter takes a lot of juice to kick it in. wink

When I hit the starter button, it clicks in the back of the wheeler where the wires are all routed to.

Sounds like a weak/bad battery or a bad connection.

I thought you bought a 450 King Quad a couple years ago Harvey?

Sounds like a weak battery to me too. Weak battery will run the lights but not have enough to crank a cold engine. Once it has warmed up the charging system has put a charge back in the battery

but it won't hold it for long. Try a load test on the battery.

I usually buy the cheapest ones available for my motorcycle ie:Wally Wurld. I've tried the expensive gell cells and haven't really had any better luck with them. I think it's most important to hook up a small battery maintainer when you aren't using it and for me they all last about the same time. There's really only a few companies that make them using various brand names anyway. Just my opinion.

I have a simular problem on my honda. Mine cranks over just fine. But when cold won't start and seems to wear the battery down quick. With that said if I pull the rope starter it pops right off in 3 or less pulls. Thinking the battery is just weak. I have just been pull starting it.