• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any one use steel leaders with their fake decoys?

Huey

I haven't speared in years, and don't recall using a steel leader with fakes, but I've angled a lot of northerns with just a minnow on a hook, with a steel leader. That doesn't seem to spook them, so I doubt it would with a spearing decoy.

I do not use steel leaders Huey cause I think that it may affect the swim factor of the decoy. Ive lost two decoys and it wasnt to the teeth of a pike. old line and bad a knot got me at the GTG on Big Lake acouple years ago. if the decoy swims good with steel it should be alright to use I dont think that it will scare the pike to much most guys use them on tip ups and they see to smack the pike.

I use steel leaders, if its a good decoy (balanced properly) it will not affect the swim of a decoy, I spend way to much time and get enough money for my decoys I will use leaders, merkman, has it good to, use a good braided line, but also use a good swivel.

Everyone has there opinion or favorite swim style, but a good swimming decoy will pull the line directly behind the line tie as if coming from the dorsel of the decoy. If it nose dives to fast it will pull the line all the time, which in my professional opinion from competing for the last several years. is not a good swimming decoy, but is effective for attracting pike.

On the other hand if you are using whitefish attractors, the swivel or leader will affect the balance of the decoy. But these decoys are usually under 3"

Originally Posted By: merkman

I lost one decoy and it was due to the snap swivel not the line.

Rrrrrr me too, I always invest in the nicest snap swivels

Spearhead you didnt just spear it to get your decoy back? wink lol

I just use 80 lb gorilla braided line with no steel leader.

I lost one decoy and it was due to the snap swivel not the line.

Try Spro swivels with String Ease snaps. You should get much fewer wind knots and the snaps are very reliable and easy to use by people who's arms are too short for their eyes.

Originally Posted By: Huey
I have a favorite Bruell and a really sweet ShamAlex cisco decoy that I'd hate to loose.

Have you used it yet?

I used the cisco today. It swims awesome. Slowwwwww and wide.

Ha Ha ya kinda like that. Actually, the decoys(hard and soft) that I have lost to jaws over the years were taken by smaller pike. The big guys usually come in slower and are less aggressive.I speared a smaller one this year(about 3 pounder) that had a belly full. It had two large sucker minnows in it's belly that it had taken from someones tip-up(had hook marks in them).It grabbed my sucker and was trying to get way with it There is no way it had room in it's belly for that big thing.