• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hooks in spear hole?

Meat-Run

STRAIGHT FROM THE REGS...

"A person may take fish by angling in a dark house if only one angling line is in use and any fish caught is immediately released or placed on the ice."

Think of your spear as one line and the rod and reel as a second line. As long as you have a spearing and angling license, this is legit.

Pikestabber

if you think of your spear as one line and you use a rod and reel as your second line then you would be in violation of the regulation you stated above regardless of if you have both a fishing license and spearing license. using your line of think then because of the two licenese you would be able to get a limit on each which is not the case.

Pikestabber

if you think of your spear as one line and you use a rod and reel as your second line then you would be in violation of the regulation you stated above regardless of if you have both a fishing license and spearing license. using your line of think then because of the two licenese you would be able to get a limit on each which is not the case.

HUH!?

i don't think that limits were of question, i'm with you pikestabber--that's how i read it too. i can have a spear (for the spearhole) and my rod/reel down another hole to angle whatever bites...then of course release it quicklike or throw it on the ice.

i wouldnt' think that i could have two limits just because i have 2 liscenses (spear and angle)..that just "lets" me spear "and" angle.

like i said, that's how i read it. smile

Ok, this isn't that complicated so I just check the rules and from what I can read I can spear and angle in the same hole but the idea is not to use the "crappie" to swim around for half and hour to attract a pike to the hole. My intent was to angle for panfish with the kids to keep them busy if they see fish an I can spear at the same time or vise versus.

What I don't understand is why I need to get a spear license to take the same limit of pike that I can only take with my angling license, I can only have 3 pike anyways so why the extra license!?..crazy

mr

What I don't understand is why I need to get a spear license to take the same limit of pike that I can only take with my angling license, I can only have 3 pike anyways so why the extra license!?..crazy

AMEN!

It would not be so bad if that money was earmarked for northern pike management, but from my understanding it isn't.

Just another repressive spearing law left over from the "good ole days"

No party fishing with darkhouse spearing either.

That is another head scratcher.

I have some very close friends that are very understanding of these laws and I hope with the right gripping we could get this law changed or direct these funds directly to spearing or pike stocking at least. This is a perfect example of nonsense rules that went to far and the DNR can't really give you a good explination why the fee.

Don't want this downer to side track the main question and get us off topic on the eve of our spearing season! Good luck all.

mr

The spearing forum has been a breath of fresh air as some of the other forums have been negative with poachers and post rut slumps.

I just like to get back to the "old school" or some of my college day activities and this is why I'm picking this sport back up and introduce my 6yo to this neat sport that I miss allot.

Old School Traditions as I like to call it.

mr

this is a sprot that stays with you also. once you,ve done it its like riding a bike you never forget how to do it.

my grandpa speared as did my da now me and my son are spearing and my little bro is thinking of getting into it as well.

BNS/Elwood that sounds pretty cool tradition you got going. My dad was the one who origanally got my older brother and I going back on Eagle Lake in Maple Grove long before they put muskies in there and then I took it back up when I went to college up in Bemidji. Now with two boys in the house I think I can get them excited as we were painting decoys well past there bed time and having fun with it. Can't wait to see the look on there faces when Mr. Pike comes busting in at 100mph and scares the mud out of them. Looks like I'll have my house out by Saturday and ready for action the ice here in Brainerd is really adding up.

mr

you can be fishing and spearing at the same time. As long as you dont have a hook on your spearing line, and when you get a fish on your jiggel stick, you pull it up right away!

You can have a hook on your spearing line, you just can't be using another line at the same time. For instance you can have a hook through your sucker but then that would count as your "angling" line and you wouldn't be able to use any other lines (tip ups, jig sticks).

You can have a hook on your spearing line, you just can't be using another line at the same time. For instance you can have a hook through your sucker but then that would count as your "angling" line and you wouldn't be able to use any other lines (tip ups, jig sticks).

That is correct.

You have the following choices:

1) 1 Spear No Hooks

2) 1 Spear 1 Hook

3) No Spear 1 Hook

4) No Spear 2 Hooks

5) No Spear No Hooks

Originally Posted By: Bass N Spear
you can be fishing and spearing at the same time. As long as you dont have a hook on your spearing line, and when you get a fish on your jiggel stick, you pull it up right away!

I know! But if you want another line, then you cant have a hook on it