• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Sticks...

For the past few years or so I have been giving ice fishing rods as gifts at Christmas to some family members and close friends. I personalize them with different types of wood for the handles. It has been fun and I have tried to teach some of the recipients how to do it as they have friends and family that also want this done. When they see how much time one can put into these handles they seem to just want me to do it for a price.

I'll get back to this. eek

I'm not very good with my dexterity on the thread wrapping and getting the guides to line up so I go to the local pro shop and buy the blanks with the guides installed minus the cork handle. I then search for exotic woods and come up with different patterns.

Some of the handles turn out pretty nice and some of them are laying in a box to be possibly used some day, maybe for heat... wink

Now, for the friends of friends and family members not in my circle who want one, I explain the cost of the premium blank and the exotic woods and don't even get to mention my time and I hear, (How Much Do You Need For That Rod!) crazy

Like I said earlier, it was fun. I know it's only a fishing rod used for catching fish but everyone I have given one to now has a favorite rod not only for it's looks but also for the action from the premium blank. cool

I come thru this thread a lot and have picked up some good tips from reading here. Some of you fellah's have inspired me to try doing what you do and I have found that I have a long ways to go but I'll keep on trying. I'll share 3 of my recent rod handles so you can see how I have been influenced by you.

The woods are Purple Heart, Maple and Black Ivory.

One more sanding and another coat of Spar Urethane and they will be ready for the reel to be attached with 2 face tape.

Thanks...

ProductionRods013.jpg

ProductionRods011.jpg

ProductionRods009.jpg

That is some fine craftsmanship!! I have been thinking about attempting something like those, but I have a pretty good idea of how much time and effort goes into something like that. Just getting the hole to line up straight for the whole handle seems like a daunting task.

absolutely amazing, wish I had the time/skills necessary to build something like that, although after seeing the bird house I made in high school shop class I think that kind of stuff is left to those with talent, which you definetly have

Thank you all for the very kind words. blush

I'll try to answer some of the questions...

Upnorth, your dead on about getting the hole to line up.

I have learned over the past few years that I have to drill the hole in each separate piece or section as I go along getting it as close to center as I can. I also have a 12" piece of a rod that I now use as a guide to line up the pieces when gluing all together. This really helps to keep things lined up.

Once all pieces are glued and in place, I gently apply clamps until I'm satisfied with the fit and then I remove (slide) the piece of rod which has left a somewhat straight hole. After sitting over night I carefully drill out the entire length of the handle and if all goes well I head over to the easy kinda fun part,the lathe.

Yes, it is time consuming and not being familiar with different blade angles and or operating some of the power tools required it is challenging. I've learned that some of the woods I use are not fond of some saw blades. I have literally had pieces of wood explode while cutting. I only mention this as a warning to those of you who might make an attempt at cutting fine angles on some very small pieces of hard woods. Don't be discouraged, just very cautious.

The handle on the right which has the difficult angles took the longest but seems to be a favorite. I will be crafting some more of these but now I have a pretty good idea on what it will take to cut up the wood and glue them and cut the angles and then drill them and glue them again. Sometimes there is sanding involved to get them to fit just right. So if a guy stays at it minus the waiting for the glue to dry, you can make one of these in 3 or 4 days. Of course if you made up several of them at one time you would have that many more as spinning them on the lathe doesn't take long. I use spar urethane as a sealer, 3 coats with minimum of 6 hours between coats. I'm sure there are faster easier better ways to do the finish but that is the way I do it.

Again, thanks for the kind expressions of my work...

Here's the sticks with the reels attached. They will be in use this weekend according to my buddy who picked them up tonight.

I started using 3M two face tape a couple years back so as to preserve the look without taping around the whole handle. This stuff is super sticky and we have never had a reel come loose. There might be a problem removing the reel when and if needed but I/we will deal with it at that time.

2009-12-07ProductionRods013.jpg

2009-12-07ProductionRods014.jpg

2009-12-07ProductionRods015.jpg

2009-12-07ProductionRods010.jpg

2009-12-07ProductionRods005.jpg

2009-12-07ProductionRods011.jpg

2009-12-07ProductionRods009.jpg

Skupper's ice sticks are pure art. I will say they are some of the best ice sticks I have ever seen.

I was lucky enough to see them up close last weekend. Scupper was kind enough to donate 2 of these works of art to the Shack Is Back benefit. I was just shocked at the beauty of these sticks. They went for top dollar at our live action and I am very glad they did go to someone who appreciates what they are. They will be displayed along with other fishing art.

Scupper is much more than just a rod maker. He is an artisan and a great person.

Thanks Scupper! smile

Josh,

thank you for the kind words and generous thoughts. blush

I hope your recovery is going well. Slow and steady wins the race. I would have liked to attend your benefit and meet you but I don't do well in crowds... eek

I'm confident we will cross path's someday but in the mean time, best wishes to you and yours. I found the conversation I had with your Mother to be filled with love for life. What a wonderful person she is...

P.S, those rods are for fishing. The users won't be disappointed in the action and I'm quite certain they will have a new favorite ice stick. wink

Warmest regards,

Scott

Those handles are absolutely awesome. Being I have no artistic ability whatsoever I am always in awe at how someone can do something like that. I love the one with the black wood area towards the bottom, it looks like a fine custom pool cue. I would kill to have one of those puppies. Great work there Scupper, very impressive.