• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In Fisherman, Ice fishing guide on FSN.

Eric Wettschreck

There are a lot of hunting and fishing shows on TV that I just can't stand to watch. This one, however, is not the norm for me. They share a TON of good info every episode. I appreciate the fact that everything isn't C&R and they openly promote selective harvest.

Doug Stange seems like a pretty cool dude to boot.

Maybe it's the places they go and the fish they catch and I'm just jealous, but I like the way they share the info.

Agreed, I'll only watch In-Fisherman and the Lindner brothers' show, both provide a lot of info and are produced in a way that is watchable.

I can't stand it when a show is taping, let's say in Northern Ontario on a walleye lake, and all they show is a guy reeling in a walleye after walleye. Duh, anybody can fly into Ontario, hire a guide, jig a minnow underneath a boat, and catch a 13 inch walleye. I want a little more depth than that in my fishing show.

In Fisherman is the worst about going easy places. They fish Lake Manitoba for walleyes and then lake trout in Shield lakes. They talk about tactics, come on in those lakes you can put down a chunk of hotdog and do pretty good. Jimmy Big Time is the best fishing show on TV. Hes at least honest. I loved the ice fishing episode that ends with 'Big Time' written in yellow snow.

Oh, I don't know, maybe he likes to dance with the girl he brought. If it works, it works kind of thing?

I really don't watch fishing shows while they're in a boat. I just like the ice stuff they do. I spose you don't have to like it. I'm just sayin I dig the info they plaster out there on the ice shows.

They filmed an episode a few years ago from a lake near my place. I have a hard time saying you can drop a chunk of beef jerky down a hole on this lake and get results. I know, I've tried, and the results were a wet chunk of beef jerky. I was somewhat impressed at their results. But that's just me, what do I know, I drink Pabst.

What's broke is the same show every week......and the same article every month in the mag.

Every time it's on I figure that it has to be something new, because he couldn't possibly still be beating that horse, but nope, same ol' swimbait sales pitch.

I guess using James logic if there is a real good comic strip one day in the paper they should just keep running the same one over and over because why go away from whats working?

rolleyes.gif

What's broke is the same show every week......and the same article every month in the mag.

Every time it's on I figure that it has to be something new, because he couldn't possibly still be beating that horse, but nope, same ol' swimbait sales pitch.

I guess using James logic if there is a real good comic strip one day in the paper they should just keep running the same one over and over because why go away from whats working?

rolleyes.gif

Must not be doing to bad. Doesnt seem that the show or mag would be around so long if it was the same broken record playing would it? Hard to believe your on this HSOforum trashing something, we've never seen that before LOL....

Doesnt seem that the show or mag would be around so long if it was the same broken record playing would it?

Lot of suckers in this state I guess.

I have nothing against swimbaits, all I'm saying is just freshen up the show a bit or interest is going to keep falling off. I'm not the only one who has noticed.

I have to say, I enjoy the ice show, the swim bait show has been beat to death!!! I enjoy the shows, just the swim bait thing, enough.... give it some press but sometimes...skip a couple or 2 episodes

I'll agree with you boiler guy, The guys over at in fisherman seem to be very instructive on techniques and tactics for catching all diferent types of fish, Only thing i wish they covered more is finding fish in different areas, usually if i can find the fish I can get them to bite.

I can't stand Jimmy Big Time, if i'm in the mood for some comedy he's ok but otherwise I turn on fishing shows to see fish be caught and see new techniques, everytime i've seen his show they spend the whole show kidding around and joking and maybe catching one or two fish.

Another show I don't favor is vexilars Ice Fishing Today, the whole show is an advertisement for vexilar, they only discuss how a vexilar is crucial for catching fish and thats about it, not many other techniques dicussed other than using a vexilar and all thier bells and wistles, on a side note though cudos to Jim Hudson (JKH431) and Craig Putchat (outdoor allure) for being on the segment on chequamegon bay, you guys both did a good job.

One show I haven't seen in a long time but couldn't stand to watch was waters and woods with john gillespe, he always made such a big deal over his FRABIL net, he never said net he would instead shout GET THE FRABIL or the JOHNSONVILLE BRATS, he had to cook em up every episode just for the endorsment, his show wasn't about teaching fishing, it was about selling products and I can't stand that

One show I haven't seen in a long time but couldn't stand to watch was waters and woods with john gillespe, he always made such a big deal over his FRABIL net, he never said net he would instead shout GET THE FRABIL or the JOHNSONVILLE BRATS, he had to cook em up every episode just for the endorsment, his show wasn't about teaching fishing, it was about selling products and I can't stand that

Couldn't disagree more. I've came full circle on this one. I used to not be entertained by these types of "catching fish" show and preferred the teaching shows.

Now I prefer the go out and have fun type shows. Seems like the more serious you treat fishing, the less fun it becomes. John does a great job of keeping the show upbeat and keeping the info current.

All those other shows stumble over themselves to try and prove a point that you will have better success using their products and staying at their resorts and wearing their gear and it really shows, when they are not passionate about what they are selling.

IMO, Midwest Outdoors is the worst for this, more of an infomercial than a fishing show.

The problem lies in that if their is nothing to sell, then there is no show. Catch 22

Don't forget: "Look at that pig man, man thats a pig, Look at that pig man, wow, look at that fish folks, look at that pig, this fish is a pig, wow..."

^^ thats one part i cant stand and the frabil

overall he does have a good show with current shows and almost a different place every week. i dont think ive ever seen the same one twice

Fresh episodes all year is one aspect of Gillespie's show that I like and the show is aired just one week after it's taped. I don't think anybody else has that. Dtro is right in that his show is more about entertainment than teaching and it's a nice change from the regular "stuff" that the other shows do.

I like Gillespie's freshness, but I can't stand his exaggerated style. It's like listening to a TV football guy make a 3-yard firstdown run up center sound like the second coming of Christ.

"OOOOOHHHHH, that's a GREAT HUGE SEXY WALLEYE! GREAT FISH. GREAT FISH." Uh, nope, 18-incher, but nice try, JohnnyG. crazy

Boilerguy, I agree with you completely on In-Fisherman TV being a cut above most of them. Like most of you, I've watched them all over the years and IF is the only one that holds my interest anymore. Fun is not me watching documentary of people smacking and stacking numbers of fish. Fun is ME doing that, and IF more than any other TV show has helped me to my own successes. gringrin

And glad to see james_walleye and LMITOUT canceled this episode of their pi$$ing match and have limited said match to the football forum.

The problem is that people take John serious when he's doing all that stuff. It's not meant to be serious. At least that is how I see it. I bet it's pretty hard to put together a show like that EVERY single week of the year.

I say just laugh and have fun with it.

The problem is that people take John serious when he's doing all that stuff.

Please don't lump me in with those people. I don't care that he's doing it for showmanship. I don't like it, and I'd rather watch an infomercial on gym equipment than his show. He is the Billy Mays of fishing. Just my opinion. I know we all have to promote ourselves and our products in some way, and I have no doubt that he's a cool guy. Like all of us when it comes to TV, I vote with my clicker. smilesmile

Don't forget: "Look at that pig man, man thats a pig, Look at that pig man, wow, look at that fish folks, look at that pig, this fish is a pig, wow..."

I forgot about that it has been so long since I have seen his show, half the fish weren't even that big when he was refering to them as pigs and he's always shouting it too, He may have had good shows minus the endorsments part but the fact he had to push these products so hard was such a turn off for me, GRAB THE FRABIL!!! HAND ME ONE OF THOSE DELICIOUS JOHNSONVILLE BRATS!!! WHAT A PIG!!! MAN THATS A PIG!!! at least he probably got paid well everytime he said frabil etc...