• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ear cleaner?

Kyle

Generally you just use shampoo and water when giving them a bath to clean the ears up, then wife just uses some Kleenex tissues to clean up after the bath.

Some dogs have a constant problem and others dont have an issue at all. My last 2 labs, the chocolate had constant problems and the yellow didn't have any issues at all. We had to use prescription stuff from the vet occasionally to prevent the fungus/bacteria or what ever was causing the dirty ears.

My new lab doesn't have any ear issues either.

Why no alcohol?

Our Dane had relentless ear infections. Tried several cleaners from the vet, and even cleaning a minimum of once a week, he got infections.

We found a home-remedy solution from a cocker spaniel breeder. He hasn't had an ear infection since! But, it is alcohol based.

Our vet recommends Epi-Otic. It's not alcohol based, but it's not cheap, either.

You could mix up some "purlpe stuff", many people swear by it and I have had good results. I used witch hazel instead of alcohol. I have had good results with Epi-Otic as well but it's not the cheapest stuff out there.

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)

4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder

16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)

4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder

16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

We considered that recipe, too, but I heard the Gentian Violet stains anything and everything, and my dog's a big head-shaker!

Here's the recipe we've been using:

6 ounces of isopropyl alcohol

1/2 tablespoon of boric acid powder

Shake the solution up really well, until the boric acid powder is fully dissolved.

Add 2 ounces of white vinegar

Shake it up some more

Add one teaspoon of the generic Betadine antiseptic

Shake it some more

My cocker along with most if not all cockers have issues with bacteria in the ears due the hairy ears. They get warm inside and grow bacteria and smell, bad.

Many years ago I talked with the vet and suggested I use Vet solutions ear cleaning solution. Its a 8oz bottle and I simply put some on a cue tip and clean the ears carefully.

Then, to help stop the growth of bacteria in her ears, I purchased a tube of Vedco MalOtic which I put a small amount in her ears and massage her ears to get the liquid all around in her ears.

After those two things, her ears are good to go for a few months.

Both these items are fairly inexpensive and really get the job done.