• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Day Late and A Drumstick Short

Jim Almquist

I get done eating breakfast and low and behold out in the front yard is a hen turkey eating junk on the ground under the apple tree. I have to watch it for at least a half hour before it finally moves to a spot where I can sneak out and try and grab a couple of shots. So I sneak out on the deck and to get a few shots and I catch something out of the corner of my eye and it is a Male Pileated Woodpecker and it flies out of the tree and lands in the apple tree and it is really too close but I have to shoot and that spooks it. All were hand held till the turkey hopped into the tree and then I was able to get my tripod and flash.

LB7D8655copy.jpg

LB7D8654copy.jpg

LB7D8691copy.jpg

LB7D8687copy.jpg

That is way too cool, maybe it will become a regular at your bird feeders. Do you see them down there much?

I have seen 5 in the field across from the house and this hen and that is it. I have seen them on Hwy 210 going to Cromwell and on Hwy 73 from Cromwell to Floodwood.

When I think about it we do have a lot of different wildlife come through and maybe living so close to Jay Cooke State Park has something to do with that and the fact that there are game farms not all that far away. We have had Black bears a couple of times and Bobwhite Quail,rooster Pheasant,Ruffed Grouse and yesterday the first Pileated Woodpecker. I just wonder how much I am missing when I go to work grin