• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire Chain Designs

CrowRiverRat83

It looks like both sets possibly have the V-Bar on them. Tough to tell by the pic.

The intriguing thing about the top set is there's a more consistant contact between chains/ice. I don't have any experience with the top set, but their design appear to limit the amount of slap after several miles of usage.

With that in mind and if they have the V-Bar, the top chains would be my choice.

IMO you just can't beat putting chains on a wheeler. I would just do the back tires only. Keeps the wear and tear off the front differential. I have chains like the bottom V-bar picture above on my AC 400 for six years and love them. Used for snow plowing and ice fishing.

I have been looking for chains,

but I purchased big Mud Lites with huge lugs this year, will they work decent?

Am I better off with stock tires and chains.

Thanks

You'll be ok in snow. It's when you hit the ice you'll wish you had chains. Just make sure that your chains don't fall in between the lugs. They'll be of no use then.

As far as having chains on the front tires also.....I'd say go for it on a 4x4 machine.

Here's my take on the 4x4 chains:

If you're in a situation where you need 4 wheel drive and your wheels are spinning, you'll strain the front differential with or without chains if the front suddenly gains traction. Terrain makes no difference. Ice or dirt, if you're in 4x4 and need that extra traction just try to avoid any "high-speed" over 25 mph or excess spinning of the tires and you'll be ok.

I have the bottom set in the V-bar and if those top ones are V-bar they do interest me .

I usually agree with Lep7 recommendations but for using chains on the front I can't . There are more than just the front differential components to think about when using chains on the front because you also have steering components that work with the running gear . That sudden bite or grab on the front can bust things up plus the chains are constantly working on the steering . Also often you don't want that front end chewing down but instead floating up .

Would they help in a tough situation, yes but to run them steady I personally wouldn't .

I also have mudlites on my machine and plow everywhere without chains but if your chewing down to glare ice chains will be a great help so your machine does not take a pounding by having to make a run at it . My chains actually go on near the end of the year rather than the beginning but it's about the conditions your experiencing rather than a confirmed time to go by .

When putting on chains let some air out of your tires then tighten chains as tight as possible and air up again . Also I criss cross two bungees on the outside of the wheels to help with chain slap that you get as the tires warm up .Also that little piece of chain that is left over after you tighten them I just put the plastic zip ties on both the inside and outside so they don't dangle and slap .They hold good .

TD

Thanks for the added info TD. Mounting the chains can be a tedious task. Letting the air out of the tires and refilling after the chains are installed makes a huge difference.

Also as TD mentioned, you do have to watch for other components when mounting chains. They can/will tear off brake lines and other components if mojnted improperly.

I just picked up some v-bar chains this weekend. I'm planning on getting the wheeler ready for plowing season this week sometime. I'm using a different wheeler this year so I have to mount the plowing bracket, put on some handle bar warmers, etc...

When do you guys put on your chains? I'll be plowing a gravel driveway. Would you recommend putting them on now or wait until we have a good amount of snow on the ground?