• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Packin for Perch" Feb 13th & 14th 2010

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vook is actually looking for the elusive 2lber as we speak. The fishing has been pretty tough this year, I have only been out a handful of times and did "decent" overall. The fishing will start heating up in a few weeks right up until ice out. I am sure vook will post a report once he gets off the ice later tonight.

Vook is actually looking for the elusive 2lber as we speak. The fishing has been pretty tough this year, I have only been out a handful of times and did "decent" overall. The fishing will start heating up in a few weeks right up until ice out. I am sure vook will post a report once he gets off the ice later tonight.

Ok Greg, I will post my report smile Well, it was by far not the best or worst day I have ever had... I totaled 7 perch and a couple walleye bonusues in about 4 hours. All the perch were in that 1 1/2 lb area which was nice. I didn't mark alot of fish but the ones I did were very aggressive. I think I saw a few vapor trails on my vexy! smile Ice conditions were ummm... well I took my wheeler but nearly got stuck a few times. Very few guys out there which is always nice to see!! I'm sure that'll change in a month till ice-out.

Thanks Rick, just been busy I guess.

Sleds were a maybe and I didn't really feel like scrambling so our group dropped as well. I just called Maple Ridge and talked with Nettie, it's a first come first serve booking that just opened. I canceled the nights of Friday Feb 12th and Saturday Feb 13th. If you haven't made this trip and can make it up, JUMP ON IT. I'm hoping to get up there in March but may have to wait another year.

Ken,

I am going to stick with my Yukon for 1 more year. I just haven't been out enough this year to justify it, but thanks anyway. I will be at Gus's early on Sat having coffee with him.

See you in a week. If you need anything give me a call 715-862-2324.

PK

I know a few guys are already here, I will try to get an update to see how they are doing in the next couple of days.

I am excited to have a FULL weekend of perchin in my cross-hairs...

NO WIFE, NO KIDS, NO WORK, just me and a bucket of wigglers:)

PK

We ended up with a few nice fish, a 1#14, 1#13 and 2-1#12 for our big fish of the trip. Perchking seems to be able to pull the big ones when needed, I will let him tell about that. We did leave early with the lake effect snow coming, I am glad we did as 30 mph winds and more than a foot of snow is not my idea of fun fishing.

If anyone thinks that you going to drive out there and catch 2#'s left and right, I can tell you now it won't happen. You may get lucky and get one, but not dozens of them. Its like any wall hanger, you need to put your time in to get it. But from what I have seen, I think the next record will come from this lake and others think the same way. I know I'm not done with this lake yet. I have said it before Perch are a passion, Jumbo perch are an obession.

Thanks again Greg, I wish I would have had more time to just talk with you about stuff, but when your fishing there seems to be little time for talk, maybe thats what soft water is for. We will see you soon my friend.

Ken

Well it was a tough bite to say the least, but we had a great time and the quality of the fish we caught was great as usual, but the numbers were not there. But where can you fish a world class lake and get quantity and quality, if you know where you can do this consistently let me know because I will book a trip ASAP. I think over the weekend, we only got about 10 perch or so between 4 guys so in that aspect it was a "slow" weekend but I would say the average perch was 13 inches and about 1-lb 10 oz., the biggest being 14.25 inches and weighing 2-lbs. Sorry no pics but I will make sure I buy a new camera for the rest of the year...

From now until ice out is when then the real hogs will start to show up...

Ken it was nice to see you again. On Sat, I marked 5 fish between 8-10am, I was a bit frustrated and yelled to Ken to see if he wanted to move. After about the 4th move and only marking a few fish here and there from Ken and his group, but myself I still have only marked the 5 from the morning. We went to a known "Big" fish area and at about 3:30, I finally marked a fish. It swam from Jig to Jig, then finally WHAM the fight was on, and then nothing... Needless to say I was not happy but I still saw him down there and they usually come in very small schools so I was trying to get that rat-finke back down there quick. I went to put in a new wiggler and something was wrong. I looked a little closer and my shank was broke off right by the end of the body of the rat-finke. What was it, still goes though my mind but I know it was heavy. Then about 20 minutes later I saw another fish and it didn't waste anytime, when I saw her at the bottom of my hole I knew she was nice then she took a dive, and was peeling off 2lb test line like it was going out of style. Finally when I got her to the ice, I knew she was close to the elusive 2lb mark but I have seen many like her in the past. When we got to Gus's shop to weigh her in, Gus said she will not make 2, she is more like 1lb 10oz. When I put her in the scale and it showed 2.0lbs needless to say I was pretty pumped. So yes my day was really slow, I only caught 3 fish all day and marked 8.

But to me it was all worth it.