• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Camera

Hi All- my 14 yr old daughter wants a camera for her b-day. Has a cheaper digital right now-about 150.00 I think. She is in a photography class at school and really digs it so she wants something that takes better pics. Looking to spend around 450.00 total. Any suggestions? Thx-8-Ball.

thx Esox..anyone else out there have a good tip for me?

I was in wally world yesterday and saw a Nikon D40 with a lens for about $450

I'm a Canon guy,but that's a tough deal to beat and will take great photos,and be expandable to more expensive lenses.

That's a real DSLR camera which will allow her to do anything that she wants in terms of creativity.

Could be a make or break point in her interest so I'd get her a DSLR so she doesn't get discouraged. JMO

I guess I should have put in a little more info about B & H whistle

A few other good stores to deal with on line are Adorama and Canoga. All 3 of these store are dealers so you will not be buying any gray market equipment which is not usually covered under a USA warranty like some of the stuff you will see on auction sites. When in doubt go to resellerratings dot you know the rest and see how they rate. It is also a good spot to see if there are any deals available.

Nikon D-60-anyone have thoughts on this unit??

Im a canon guy, but from what Ive heard the Nikonese saying, it is certainly a good camera and will take great pics - but it isnt a HUGE upgrade from the D40 and the price is significantly higher.

FWIW, my impression of Nikon is that they produce a great product, but some of their higher end glass is much more expensive than its Canon counterpart. May not be a factor in your decision, but something to think about if you plan on buying lenses as gifts down the road.

Thx Outlaw- the wife found the d-60 for same price as the 40 I am told. I am doing some online research and have talked to some camera store help and its the apples/oranges ford/chevy thing. Everyone has their opinion on different brands-some like Canon, others like Nikon, etc.. I guess i will just have to make a decision and live with it.

8-ball, why don't you get a gift certificate from a store that sells multiple DSLR brands? The most important consideration these days is not the fairly minor details that separate one brand from another (and tend to be exaggerated in any online reviews), but which camera feels best in the hand and has control conventions that best fit the user.

Since the user will be your daughter, it's best that SHE make the decision, and a gift certificate will do the job. And she will be even more exited than getting a camera under the Christmas tree because she gets to take the gift certificate to the store and make her own decision. That empowers her, and since you'll of course be coming along (and hopefully keeping a Dad's mouth mostly shut grin ), you'll have your joy in giving extended as well.