• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies By The Number

JBMasterAngler

Which metro lake do I stand to catch a high amount of crappies with minimal effort? Size does not matter, just looking for constant action. Want to take my wife out on the ice a couple times. Right now independence looks to be the front runner, but any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

JB I lived in that area(prior) a few years,if you do prior lake(which I have never tried in the winter)a few years back I did real good on spring and cedar and they are close to prior.Both where evening and morning bites for crappie.Mornings when the crappie quit the sunnies moved in.Evenings when the crappie quit the walleye moved in.There was also some dandy perch on cedar.Have not heard much about either so they may be prime for pickin.(both where like clock work lines down by 6:15 am and 4:45 pm).On spring lake(20-21 ft) blue or red glow with the smallest crappie minnow in the bucket seemed to be the ticket.On cedar lake(11-12 ft) color did not seem to matter crappie or fathead minnow.On both lakes have waxies with,sometimes that is all that would work.Now I am all jacked up to take a trip to both.

My buddy last year kept telling me he was catching lots of crappies on Prior early in the morning. Just like the post said earlier. I finally got out with him before the sun came up, and did'nt catch a thing. He ended up catching a few sunnies, but thats it. Course that was the first time ice fishing for me, now 1 year later and I'm hooked, bought a portable, gas auger, aquaview camera and a FL8. Problem is I like to fish with my 5 yr old son, and we like to go out in the early afternoon, so I don't think the carppies really bite then. What I need is a spot with lots of sunny action that will keep a kid amused inbetween snacks.....Any suggestions?

I fished indy for the first time last year as well (mid march), didn't find anything the first half of the day, but once we found them it was constant action until well after sun down. We caught 100 crappies even...they were all right at about the 7 inch mark. The surprise however came from the 4 jumbo perch we caught...all 4 were fat 9 inchers, very impressive for the metro area.

I'll second medicine. from first ice to ice off the 20' hole on the northwest side, before the big arm on the north side, is absolutely loaded with crappies and sunnies, and they're suckers for a marmooshka w/ a couple of waxies. I don't know that i've ever got one bigger than 9" out there, but it's about as fast of action as a guy could want. Every year there's a big brown perm. that sets up there, just drill holes all around that area. Don't forget to set up a tipup or two, i've caught and seen alot of 30-35" pike come outta that spot. with the camera i've seen some walleyes down there, but never talked one into biting.

Go to crystal. Crappies are pretty cookiecutter there and there are LOTS to be had. Went there many times last year and crappies can be caught any time of the day and in big numbers. If the crappies arnt biting the sunnies probably are. Email me and i'll tell you more if you want to know.

If you wanna go out and I am home, I would be more than happy to take you and your wife out and show you where I fish and have had good luck on the lake.

Flake, chisago, n/s center, big marine, I would fish flake for crappie. Fishing around community holes in 16-20". Alots of actions. My go to lure is red LA jighead and red plastic/occasionaly change up tempo with green or pink plastic. Good luck.

i have been fishing medicine pretty much my whole life having grown up, at different times,anywhere from 5 miles to currently within walking distance (my apt building borders french park) and while crappies, sunfish, and perch are mainly what i fish for on medicine through the ice, and have had good luck with numbers in pretty much any of your standard spots...i.e. weed edges, holes and sharp dropoffs up to about 20-25 feet, but with these spots you have to put in your time to get some good eaters...but with that said there are some spots that dont get hit to hard especialy in the the early part of the ice season. the main lake gets work over pretty hard but if you go to the north end of the lake and fish the very back bay adjacent to the submerged bullrush along the dropoff in about 10-15 feet of water you should have some luck...might i add i have cought some decent pike in this area. another spot i like is just out side that bay on the west side there is a 15 foot flat with a hole that drops to 20 feet where i have had great success with crappies perch and sunnies and might i add as soon as there is enough ice i will be there...i like to use small jigs with crappie minnows or or smaller fatheads, wax worms also work and so do smaller plastics. good luck and if anybody has anyother sugestions let me know.

matt

yeah french park is the closest place to go out, but if you park near the landing the just walk out past the beach to the northern point its not to much further. i should be going out tomorrow to try some new things in that area so ill let you guys know how it goes.

good luck