• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting the cornfields.... Better get used to it this year!

reddog

Reddog, I read in one of your posts that you wear your snow camo in the corn. I'm wondering if there is a specific reason for this? Does it blend in well with a dreary sky? Just wondering for future reference. I love stalking and with all the corn left, I would like to start stalking in cornfields. Thanks, AC

ac.

I only use snow camo if there is any snow at all. Otherwise, I use cornfield bottoms and light colored tops, depending on whether it is overcast or clear. If you are gun hunting and going to shoot down the rows, it really doesnt matter, You can go in with jeans and a shirt. If you are bowhunting, and going to shoot crossrows, you need a lighter colored upper for the reason you mention. You are literally on top of the deer, and you want to blend in with the sky color for at least half of your body.

Copied from the SW minnesota board that prompted me to resurrect the previous post.

Actually, its easier than you would think.

Conditions are the key.

Mid day,

Wind.

Keeping the wind in your face.

Never step into a row before peeking.

Wait till the bulk of the cornfields are gone. (1 per mile or less)

Camo up different than you would for woods, obviously. bit go light colored on top because the deer is laying down and you are close, so you are way above it. Think of how you would camo if you were against the sky.

Ive been hunting in the corn fields for over twenty years. both with a bow and a gun.

The keys (other than the ones noted above) are:

With a gun, you can shoot down the row. Typical shot is a 20 yd neck shot.

With a bow, you always shoot cross rows. Usually 3 or 4 rows away. Typical shot is 3-4 yds into the body cavity. When you let it go, be prepared to move, as they typically take off crossrows initially.

Adjust your approach to the way they are laying. You can approach from any one of 270 degrees, just cant get upwind.

Sometimes you are playing the wind to a within few feet.

Take your time. There is nothing as exciting as seeing the first patch of fur or the big eyeball at 15-20 feet! Then you start looking for the lane to shoot thru.

If gun hunting, go in the fields one at a time. Bow hunting can utilize more than one hunter, but it should be decided where you can and cant go ahead of time.

It used to be easy when the rows were 36 inches. Then 30"s came along and it makes it so much harder. BUT, with the advent of Roundup Ready corn and GPS guided planters,that has improved the ability to hunt 30 inch rows. Dont even think about 20 inch rows. Its impossible.

Toad Smith from Sibley Ia. wrote a book and produced a video outlining how the succesfully hunt in the corn. I have both the book and the video. It has been out of production for many years, but occasionally one of them pops up on the auction sites. I wont loan out the video, for damage reasons. If anyone is interested in the book, Ill get it back and send it out.

DeerD.jpg

P1010138.JPG

Yes corn hunting is one of my favorite hunts. I hunted South Dakota state land for ten years and boy was it fun. I like to do it alone just safer and less conflict. The wind is your best friend here. The windier the better. Like stated above and with the picture you can get so close it is almost like taking candy from a baby when you get that close to them. Good luck everyone and be safe.

Well I think Im addicted to hunting the corn. Went out yesterday, perfect day with wind and moisture. Got close to the same doe twice. Shot a pheasant with my bow as well. What a rush getting that close to the deer. DSC03138.jpg Snapped a pic of this doe, about 20 feet away.

Almost all of the corn I can hunt is 22" rows- it's nearly impossible to bow hunt in that tight of rows. I sure wish we'd get some 30" stuff around here like most of you guys have access to. I haven't done a ton of corn hunting, but I've done some and I love it!

Sugar beets. Beets drills have rows that are 22" apart and most corn drills (outside of the valley) are 30". Rather than owning a seperate drill or reconfiguring the one they have, most guys just seed them at 22", just like the beets. Can't say I blame them, but I sure wish it wasn't so. Oh well... such is life.

Plants per acre typically remains the same, whether you plant 22, 30, 38s. Usually somewhere between 22 and 28,000ppa

The theory behind narrow row corn is that yields of any crop will be maximized when plants are uniformly distributed across the field. For example, at 30,000 plants/A corn plants would be 14" apart in 15" rows compared to 7" apart in 30" rows. Theoretically, the more equidistant spacing should minimize the effects of competition among plants, especially early in the season before a plant canopy is formed.

Anything narrower than 30 inches is nearly impossible to hunt in.