• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Haloweenie with Ken and Stevie!

I have really been getting the itch to go out to my favorite bog spot and this series has definately got me scratching! Love your gray jay pet shots, but the spruce grouse images really get me excited. Definately a species that I wish we had around the Duluth area.

Gray jays are among the wild birds most comfortable around people, and are easily brought right in with food, particularly when the weather is cold. I've had them eat off my hand, off my outstretched foot, and now off my hat and a camera lens.

They are called camp-robber jays by many because they'll ghost in on silent wings and land right alongside your dinner and snatch a few morsels.

They don't tend to like larger groups of people, but they do zero in on human activity because they've learned the humans tend to leave behind things that gray jays can eat.

These birds become accustomed to people quite easily. Around here many times they're called "camp robbers" because they recognize when there are people at a campsite and are quite good at picking up bits of food even while the campers are present. I've had some swoop in and pick up stuff right out of my hand when I wasn't expecting it.

The first time I ever saw a Gray Jay was when a buddy and I were camping along the Kawishiwi River by Ely, many years ago. I put some dog food out for my springer and the jays were driving my dog nuts. They'd swoop down and grab a pellet, and my dog would take off after them. My dog was smart enough to figure out she couldn't do much about it, and gave up after awhile. It was quite entertaining.

Myself and JayinMN had a fun time shooting them in the bog last winter. I may have to make a return trip this winter.