• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

07 sportsman speedo/electric went haywire???

kdawg

My dad was out in the garage and heard a fan running. It was my 07 450 sportsman. It hadn't been run for over a day. He checked it out and the speedo needle was bouncing, and the digital readout was flashing. Also, the time before that he turned it on and the mileage was off by over a hundred miles. Next day mileage was back to normal. Any ideas?

Not sure if your machine would've been included in the ECM recall, but I would consider that if it hasn't been replaced.

Has there been any other electrical additions to the machine such as a winch or lights?

As far as recall, I'm going to look into that. I think it may have already had that done, but I'm not sure. It's all stock with no additions - I still have the winch in the box. It only has 170 miles on it. Just talked to my dad, he ran it a few times yesterday and today and couldn't get it to misbehave again. My dad's a retired mechanic, so he's checked everything that would make sense to check. Sounds like it may be a bad sensor or sending unit of some time. If and when it happens again, I may just bring it in to the dealer.

battery could have reached that magic number where it makes things screw up and when he ran it recharged the system.

Nope, new battery this year. But, who knows? It's the fan running when the motors cold that's got me baffled. He's keeping an eye on it, it hasn't acted up since, even though he's gone out and run it a few times since.

what if temp sensor is going south but on a new machine with low miles would the dealer handle it under any warranty

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing this morning while on the phone with my dad. As far as warranty, I can't imagine there would be any coverage for an '07.... even with very little miles on it. It will be worth a call though.

Warranty is only good for 6 months unless you have an exceptional dealer. I'm guessing its the ECM, I've seen a few with the same issues, I didn't think the 07's were affected but I could be wrong. If it is the ECM they should cover it.

I didn't think the 07's were affected but I could be wrong. If it is the ECM they should cover it.

You are right, the '07's probably weren't affected... I just read my reg. card,and mine's an '06. Obviously, I don't spend enough time on mine as I didn't even recall the correct model year. Just got off the phone with a Polaris tech. and he said it sounds like the ECM. I'll drop it off next week. Thanks for the heads-up fellas.

I've got an '07 and had some weird things going on...Not the same symptoms you have, but still some weird things. Did everything I could think of, then took it to the dealer. Turned out to be the ECM. Got it replaced and has run like new ever since.