• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chains on my Sportsman 700

Chode2235

Hey guys, I am looking to get a set of chains for ice fishing this year. I have a sportsman 700 4x4, is there anything that I need to know about chains for this ATV?

Do I need a set for the front and back? Or just the back?

What type of chains are the best? Anything else?

Thanks.

Get a set that have the cross bar links . You shouldn't really need them for the front most days and they can be hard on your front end if your using them there .

When putting them on lower your tire pressure and then once they are on, bump your tire pressure up to take up the slack plus so you don't get fender slap from them . I also run two bungees in a cross on the outside of the wheel to really keep them tight .

Don't drive at high speeds either .

TD

V-Bar chains are the way to go.

There was a good discussion on this last year and whether chains on the front are needed.

You should be ok with putting them on the front. Just avoid high speed like TD mentioned. Chains on the front will help your steering as well.

The only way chains will work on the front is if you flip your tie rod ends upside down. I have seen (as a matter of fact it was on a 700 Sportsman) where chains rub slightly on the tie rod ends and over time they will eventually break.