• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ground Blinds

I am getting really stoked about getting out there and hunting as much as I can from this weekend through the end of gun season (11/22/09 where I hunt). We are very busy at work now, but I think next week I will have to call in with a case of "buck fever".

Anyway I am thinking about adding a ground blind to my hunting gear. I figure it could get me into some spots where I'd like to hunt but there are no suitable trees for my climbing stand. I am sure I would stay warmer in it too. It seems like the drawbacks may be (1)limited visibilty and (2)being on the same elevation as the deer, the deer could smell me easier or at least spot (see) this newly placed blind.

I'd appreciate hearing any input from guys who have used ground blinds on whether or not they are worth the money. Also, if you think they are worth it, which ground blinds do you recommend (most bang for the buck)?

Thanks.

once the deer get used to it there they really dont care whether your in it or not, although you still have to be careful. I think they are good for certain situations. ANd they are good for 2 people if you get a big enough one.

I hunt from them often They need to be brushed in really well and should be up for at least a few days for the deer to get used to them. You still need to very carefull of scent control and yes, they can see you in there if not careful of your movements.

I would never use one if there were trees I could climb in the area. A great tool if that is not the case.

if there are good trees in the area, then buy a climber. i like occassionally sitting on the ground, but behind a log, or inside brush, vs being in a blind. its a completely new ball game hunting at deer level, but, i much prefer to be hanging from a tree.

the whole concept of brushing in a ground blind just doesn't sit well with me. i mean, if you spend that much money on a blind, and still have to spend time brushing it in to conceal it, then why buy a blind. sure it will keep you dry during a rain. but why not buy a chunk of burlap, and stake it to the ground in the shape of a triangle, seems like that would work better anyways

the whole concept of brushing in a ground blind just doesn't sit well with me. i mean, if you spend that much money on a blind, and still have to spend time brushing it in to conceal it, then why buy a blind. sure it will keep you dry during a rain. but why not buy a chunk of burlap, and stake it to the ground in the shape of a triangle, seems like that would work better anyways

Exactly! Finally! It's nice to see someone else who see's it the same as me. It has always puzzled me why someone would throw away up to $500 on a ground blind that they needed to build a blind around to conceal. ?????? Why not use what is naturally available and build a blind for free????

As I've said before, my best ground blind is simply standing in front of a cedar tree (or pine). I too used to be more concerned of what blocks me in front but have long since been more successful utilizing a good background to blend into. That goes for tree stands too - you're hidden in a pine much more than a poplar.

And, it's a huge rush to arrow a buck at 10 yards while on he ground!

Originally Posted By: vister

Exactly! Finally! It's nice to see someone else who see's it the same as me. It has always puzzled me why someone would throw away up to $500 on a ground blind that they needed to build a blind around to conceal. ?????? Why not use what is naturally available and build a blind for free????

All I can say is, you guys have obviously never used one.

Originally Posted By: vister

I will give you several reasons/occaisions ground blinds are beneificial, but it probably won't change your mind:

1. Rain protection. I have yet to see a ground blind built out of natural materials that can adequately keep you dry from rain or snow.

2. Set up time. A ground blind can be popped up in seconds and with a few branches, be brushed in within a matter of minutes with less brushing material than a homemade brush blind, usually meaning less scent and terrain disturbance to the area.

3. Versatility. I have yet to see a good blind made out of available materials that can be set up in a corn field. A popup blind can be set up in the edge of a corn field and brushed in with some corn stalks in a few minutes and it will be nearly invisible. Similarly, out on the prairie a ground blind can be set up and brushed whereas creating a sufficient blind to bowhunt out of is nearly impossible. Ground blinds can be set up right on the "X" and brushed in with grass when there is no suitable base structure (trees, branches, etc.) to create a brush blind.

4. Cover when there is no cover. You can set a ground blind up in the middle of a field and it will conceal movement. Often when it is out in the open the deer will ignore it even if it is new as long as they can see it for a distance and identify that it is not a human or a predator. As long as it doesn't suprise them, the deer often will not be scared.

That said, I prefer to hunt out of the tree and do 95% of my hunting from a tree. But I have found that in certain instances (especially in ND bowhunting) a good ground blind can be a priceless asset.

Don, I've sat in one turkey hunting and it was nice because it was pooring rain. But other then that, I've always found it to be more hassel then they are worth.

I suppose they do have their place in farm country and the prairie... I didn't really think about their uses there. But up north in the woods it takes very little time to conseal yourself in a Balsam Fir or Spruce and remain fairly if not completely dry.

I just can never justify their cost, I guess.

I suppose they do have their place in farm country and the prairie... I didn't really think about their uses there. But up north in the woods it takes very little time to conseal yourself in a Balsam Fir or Spruce and remain fairly if not completely dry.

I meant to make a comment about their value in heavily wooded/forrested areas. I would hang a treestand, and if you are afraid of heights, you can usually conceal yourself fairly easily in these situations from surrounding deadfall and vegetation.

In that setting, I would agree that a ground blind is not necessarily worth its cost.

my dad has a blind, but i'm not sure what kind. to be honest, i really didn't care for it one bit. if i'm going to be on the ground, then i'll be sitting in or near brush. get good camo, and you don't need to buy a blind, that you later have to brush in. i spend the money on camo that matches the terrain I hunt, not what lee and tiffany are advertising, so i don't need to be concealed in a blind, where i could be butt naked if i wanted to be!

I feel that being in the open, what i mean is not in a blind, you are more scent and movement conscious. when i was in the blind, i felt a security that i could move a bit more freely, but then when i got fidgity, like i usually do, i didnt care about moving.

as a matter of fact, the last 4 days of hunting have all been from the ground. i didn't see many deer, but they were all within 15 yards, at the closest. not bad for hunkering down next to a tree. now if i had been in a blind, all brushed in, i'm sure the deer would have looked at it thinking "what the he77 is that!" not only do i prefer hunkering down on the ground without a blind, i believe you will have better luck without that huge silhoette created by a brushed in blind. i know you can see them from 1/2 a mile away!

you better believe if i didn't prefer sitting on the ground without a blind, i'd a bought a blind to stay dry these past few days!

i'm not anti-blind completely, i just feel brushing them in is kind of dumb. you wouldn't believe the blind you can have just by cutting a few brushy limbs down, and stacking them up in front of you. matched with good camo, and you're golden!

Good post!!! I have been given a ground blind to use this year and was pretty excited about it, but now I have second thoughts? I have never hunted from a tree stand in the 23 years I have been hunting deer and considering I have hunted 100% public land until this year I have shot a good number of deer just sitting on a log. I have always wondered about scent lock this and that, and all the other fancy stuff you can buy to become invisible to the deer? what did our fathers and their fathers use? I think 90% of the hunt boils down to being the right place at the right time with a good amount of luck!!! Again this is just my opinion on the whole deer hunting thing. For me being in the woods is great, getting a deer is a extra, yeah I love shooting deer, but isnt it why we call it hunting and not killing!!??

Sorry for going on a rant, but just felt it was time for my thoughts!!!

I got my first ground blind this year and LOVE it. I can sit a lot longer in the woods now that I am comfortable. Don't get me wrong there is a time and a place for both so I will use either one when the situation arises. I just seem to favor the blind now a little more.

I have had one for a few years and have not hunted out of it much. But I do like it very comfortable. Where I think it would be real handy is for the wife and kids, video the hunt (warm, dry, and movement). I really enjoy being in a tree because the range of view.

KG243 Hit it right on the head! I bought my first one when my oldest son was old enough to begin archery deer hunting with me. Now all three of my boys are of age to hunt deer. When I ask who wants to go hunting the response is who gets the ground blinds and who has to sit in the tree. My wife feels a lot better knowing that I am with her sons and we are sitting on the ground and not hanging in some tree (with harness). As stated above they also allow for movement and quiet conversation when educating young hunters.

Because this is the archery forum I will offer a tip based on trial and error.

Make sure your fletching is shorter than the broadhead. Otherwise the fletching will hang-up on the mesh and deflect the arrow.

I used blazers and slick tricks and missed 3 times on one sitting. Switched to standard 4" fletching and arrowed a mule deer doe in an alfalfa field the next day.