• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Indoor Heated Storage - Should I still winterize?

Larson15

Yes, I'd winterize, too. As BF said, fuel breaks down over time no matter what the temp if you don't treat it, and your lower unit lube should be replaced annually no matter how the boat is stored. Same deal with fogging the cylinders, IMO -- that it's a time unused rather than a temperature thing.

I also bring my boat batteries indoors, not because it's too cold in my unheated garage, but because it's easier indoors (basement) for me to keep them topped off with a trickle charge now and then so they're totally up to snuff for next spring.

Depending on his storage setup, mice could also be a problem. They love to find homes in heated places come fall, and boat carpet makes VERY nice mouse nest linings.

Thanks for the information guys. I will be getting it winterized and going to store it at a indoor heated facility.

When I pull the boat out of storage in the spring, what needs to be done in regards to summerizing the boat/motor?

marine man,

A simple question. Have you run into problems with the muffs not fitting properly on the motor? I have a 225 HPDI with the performance lower unit and the muffs dont fit and the water is not being drawn into the motor enough. I know its ill advised but can you hook up the hose to the motor with the fitting provided and fog like that?

It would only be until the motor chokes out of course. Either that or its down to the launch to winterize.

Follow up question: I had my Glastron 190HP winterized last season before storing. For personal reasons, the boat never made it into the water this past summer and stayed in storage. Will the gas treatment cover me until next spring/summer or do I need to add additional fuel stabilizer? Obviously, I won't be able to fire up the engine to get the newly treated fuel through the system, but what about the fuel in the tank?

Thanks.

TR21 - you can get a barrel and run the motor in that, or you're off to the lake unfortunately. I would not run the motor while hooked up to the flush hose... yamaha and mercury specifically advise against this.

Dellfin - you should be OK with the stabilizer you have in there... next year I'd get it out of there if at all possible...

marine_man