• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter gear

Ladies, I need to get some new clothing gear this winter for ice fishing. I have limited funds, so any advice on gear that is somewhat inexpensive but works? I need boots, jacket, pretty much everything. Thanks smile.

I really believe in good undergear and good boots to stay warm in the winter. Your 1st layer has to wick moisture away and keep heat in. I use Underarmor but have tried Duofold and like that too. I have also bought silk stuff which is warm but not as wicking. My second layer is usually thinsulate. Try Smartwool especially when you're buying socks. They rock! They're warm, not itchy, and they wick sweat away.

Good boots are super important if you ice fish. I personally wear Rocky Blizzard Stalkers and Ice Kings on very cold days. Make sure you buy them so they fit-not too tight and not too loose. I always wear 2 pair a socks in my boots too. I would really love to try some mukluks though. I've heard great things about them.

Just make sure you have a good base wicking layer and then a thinsulate/insulating layer and then a windproof/waterproof layer. I also buy those chemical hand warmer things too. Be careful of putting them in your boots though-some can get too hot. Then you're feet sweat. Sweaty=Cold. Hope that helps mngirl and are you going to make to any of the FM Get Togethers?

I would really love to try some mukluks though. I've heard great things about them.

Pricy but ultralight, and hands down the best extreme cold weather footwear I've ever owned. They did go to the North Pole in 1986 with the Steger/Schurke expedition, after all. smile

Trust me. You do.

I'm not trying to be sexist here, but women in particular, many of whom seem not to have a lot of blood circulation in the feet, or who seem to get cold easily, fall in love with these mukluks. They are so warm partly because they are so light and flexible and allow/encourage circulation instead of cutting it off like laceup boots do.

Nobody who looks at them on a person's feet at -30 believes they can be that warm -- until they try them out. It's by far the best to get them fitted at the Steger Mukluks store in Ely (and I think they have outlets in the T.C. and Duluth), because what size you buy really is dependent on what you're going to use them for, and it's best that an expert help you with that.

Try Smartwool especially when you're buying socks. They rock! They're warm, not itchy, and they wick sweat away.

I'll second the Smartwool. My feet are always cold when the temp drops below 60 degrees outside. A midweight pair of Smartwool socks in my Keen boots, and my feet were toasty standing outside at a cross country meet last week. It was 37 degrees with a strong wind, which typically makes my feet freeze. The feet were the only warm part I had! blushgrin

Trust me. You do.

I'm not trying to be sexist here, but women in particular, many of whom seem not to have a lot of blood circulation in the feet, or who seem to get cold easily, fall in love with these mukluks. They are so warm partly because they are so light and flexible and allow/encourage circulation instead of cutting it off like laceup boots do.

Nobody who looks at them on a person's feet at -30 believes they can be that warm -- until they try them out. It's by far the best to get them fitted at the Steger Mukluks store in Ely (and I think they have outlets in the T.C. and Duluth), because what size you buy really is dependent on what you're going to use them for, and it's best that an expert help you with that.

SO, is that true then? gals with cod feet, warm heart. or is that a fairy tail? confusedconfusedsmilelaugh

SO, is that true then? gals with cod feet, warm heart. or is that a fairy tail? confusedconfusedsmilelaugh

Oh my gosh Glenn, I laughed so hard at this I spit juice all over my keyboard. Cod feet? Fairy tail? (I think you meant "tale")