• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone sell a sled to someone in Canada?

kdawg

If they wont talk to you in person or they are not interested in actually seeing the sled then it more than likely is a scam.

It's not that the guy won't talk to me in person, we just happened to be communicating via email, but yes, I was wondering if this was a scam.... until I found the Registrar of Imports HSOforum, and found that any "self-propelled" vehicle that permanantly leaves the U.S., needs to have a bill of sale faxed to US Customs at the point of crossing, at least 72 hours prior to it's departure. Who would have known?

I sold a sled to a guy from Canada. He picked it up at my house, paid me cash and he had to cover all his bases for transporting this vehicle into Canada.

This was a few years ago, and things may have changed, but I do recall I had to prepare a tentative bill of sale (pending payment on such-such date). He took care of the rest. I may have filled out some paperwork upon the sale to make sure he was ok getting it back into Canada?

When I sold my boat to a fellow in Canada, he had to do this as well. When you sell it, I would guess it is up to them to figure out how to get it there. As far as a bill of sale, I never buy or sell anything without one. So it would be no skin off my back to have him sign it and fax to the authorities. Basically, says that you are the rightful owner and he agrees to purchase from you for said amount. Protects everyone.

When you guys do your own bill of sale what do you put on it? VIN and buyers/sellers info?

Basically it has to have buyer/seller's names (address would be good too), copy of title, or if in Minnesota, DNR Registration card and VIN as well as sale price. I called Customs 30 minutes after faxing to verify that they had received it. I gave the seller all the originals as well as fax cover sheet and the slip the fax machine spits out that tells time when fax was sent. The seller emailed me, letting me know that customs was a breeze with the info he had with him.

hey folks... new member from manitoba here... just to give you an idea of what's involved on our end with the importing of sleds, as I have done several now. We come to an agreement with the u.s. seller, and make payment arrangements. Most times, I send a deposit to hold the sled. We need from you a bill of sale, with the vin number clearly legible, sellers info, and the title if your state has them. Either you, or us can fax that paper, along with our contact info to the port of exit, in my case pembina, nd. 72 hrs in advance of the sled leaving the country. u.s. customs runs a vin search nationwide, checking for liens, if the sled is stolen etc. They do not tell the buyer if there is a problem with the sled until you stop at customs on the way out. Assuming there is no problem with title, we stop at u.s. customs before leaving, they stamp off the title for export. We import it into canada, pay any taxes, and have to pay a 200.00 fee to get it inspected to ensure it meets cdn. standards. A tip that will help you guys sell your sled faster here, is if you can get a recall clearance letter from your dealer. We need it to pass the inspection. There is a huge market for used sleds up here.... used sleds are expensive here, and it's way cheaper to go through the trouble of getting in the states. Scams from canadians are few and far between, but they do exist. Hold on to the sled until the buyer pays in full, I always pay in cash. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.