• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pre/Post Game Minnesota Wild Banter

JimBuck

All I can say is The Tenderness has been a great pick up and I hope he is around next year. Him and Havlat are great on the ice together. If the Wild could have played .500 hockey on the road up to this point, they would be sitting in playoff position right now.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Wild are sitting 6 points out of a playoff spot with 4 teams between them and that 8th spot. They have 23 games to go with 11 being on the road. People have forecast a 96pt minimum to make the playoffs this year. So, with 62 points, we need to win 17 of the next 23 games.

Who all thinks we'll be making the playoffs this year?

Personally, I don't think we will (though I hope we do since I love playoff hockey!). Looking at our performance on the road, every home game is a must win from now on if we want to make the playoffs. I just don't think we have it in us to do that.

It was a good game to watch last night. Barker looked pretty good. Got into a little bit of trouble in a couple of spots, but got himself out pretty easily. I like to see that ability to move the puck under pressure. Some guys just dump it and it ends up as a turnover.

I am very happy about Barker, Did you see the way he found the open shot on the Power play? That is exactly what we needed. He had 2 bombs from the point that made it to the net, one of which went in. I like him so far. It will take a little while to get used to the new system defensively.

That said, call darn son of beeeeep, how do we loose that darn Atlanta game? Ughhhh that hurt. What makes me the madest is that the teams we need to loose, mostly did. 2 wins would have put us in 8th. we are still 5 points out.

No kidding, the way we lost that one was tough.

Before, Richards said the team would need at least 8 points in the last 5 games to stay in playoff contention. We got 6. Anyone think the trading will heat up after the break?

Funny how you can tell who listens to the 93X morning show, by how they call him "The Tenderness."

That was a good game yesterday, good use of the power play, and a good job of keeping the game pretty clean. The Canucks were picking fights and we were mostly staying out of them or at least being reactionary. Richards didn't seem to even be putting Boogaard and Scott out there for long shifts.

I'll enjoy watching their remaining games but this isn't a playoff team this season. The past 16 years that I've lived in Minnesota has taught me two things:

1) In most sports we will be rooting for them to squeak into the playoffs

2) They will get crushed in the first round

It is so hard to tell. It looked like we were freeing up space by moving Johnsson. That gave us an extra $2mil, getting us up to almost $5mil in cap space. Which could get us a real good player. But now, it is an even longer shot.

I have heard rumors of us still trying to get patrick sharp from chicago, which would be sweet he is a very balanced player who until this year has always recorded more goals than helpers in a year. It would be nice, but you would think it would have been part of the other trade if this was the case.

I have also heard the Modano to the Wild as a rental player, but really whats the point when we dont win anyways.

If we sell Nolan will be heading to SJ, and we will be dealing Shep

Dealing Shep might be a good thing. He's so down on himself here, I don't think he could succeed. Maybe we could trade him for another under-performing young kid who needs a change of scenery. Could help two teams at once like the Latendress/Pouliot trade.

I don't see Modano coming here. There's no reason. He's not Nolan caliber and he is Nolan's age. If we're really thinking of dealing Nolan, we definitely wouldn't try to get Modano.

Getting Sharp would be great, but where's the space for a Koivu signing. It would be hard for the Wild to pay a guy like him and keep everyone. Maybe if he didn't want a ton of money and was willing to play center, he'd fit.

Just had a thought last night about the remainder of the NHL players that are not playing in the olympics. Does anyone know if teams just take a break or do they still continue with practice and training? My thought is these guys still continue to do more individualized training but team practices are put off until the olympics are over and the US wins gold. Thoughts?

Really seems like a time they should be conditioning, I assume they are all doing someting to stay in shape.

I would bet that at that level 99% of those guys are always doing something to stay in shape. When your career depends on it, you have many incentives to be in shape ($$$). I know during the lockout a few years ago that a lot of the local guys were working out and playing pickup games at Mariucci to stay in shape in case the lockout ended.

Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of Zidlicky in the next three years. He just signed an extension for 3 years at $4 million a year.

He is 33 right now. He will be 36 and making $4million in his last year. He has a no trade clause for the first two years, I think. If he is still going good his last year, he might be good trade bate. Teams love the offensive defenseman going into the playoffs.

Sounds like Kobasew is skating and will be back with the team again. I'm excited to see if he can contribute for the final 20ish games left.

I'm glad Zidlicky is sticking around. You make a good point OnAFly about trade bait. Any word if we are gonna do something with Belanger or Nolan? Deadline is tomorrow right?

Tomorrow at 2:00 CT. We'll see what happens with them I guess.

I heard there were a couple of teams asking about Nolan. That could be a good deal for us. He's been valuable so far, but you have to start wondering how much longer he'll be useful. Maybe we can resign him after the season is over if we do ship him out as a rental.

Sweet goal just scored by the Brunette-Kiovu-Miettinen line. TIC-TAC-TOE!!!

They looked rusty in the first with lots of passes in the skates. Second is looking much better. Looks like Backstrom hasn't missed a beat. Though, he did get a little time in thanks to Kipper.