• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ideas on Mouthing/Biting

hanson

My lab pup is 15 weeks old now (almost 4 months) and THE only thing he cares about doing is mouthing/biting my hand(s). He's friggin' obsessed with it and am now sure how much longer I can put up with it.

I've had 3 people tell me to do the lower jaw fish grab when he does it (dog trainers & vet).

Also been told to hold his mouth shut when he does it.

And also to cross your arms and ignore him.

Tried distraction as well... giving him a chew toy, maybe switching to practicing sit or fetch, etc.

He still has a few teeth coming in and then I know we get to do the teething thing over again but is he going to outgrow this biting or is he finally going to get the message that I don't want him biting my hand.

We can't really concentrate on anything else because this is seriously all he wants to do. Its almost uncontrollable how excited and wound up he gets when my hand is around.

Am I expecting too much at this age? Somewhat normal? Or do I have a problem?

Chris, it's completely normal for all dogs that age, at least all puppies I've had and seen.

Since they don't have hands and they are completely about exploration, their mouths are all they've got to do their business. And they do love doing their business with their favorite buddy's hands.

Chewing/gnawing is also normal and necessary because of teeth coming in and growing. Most pups will gnaw until they are over a year old, and nothing's really safe from them during that time.

As for training him not do do it with your hand, I'm no pro dog trainer, but with the pups I've had, we've worked hard to redirect rather than discipline pups for doing something that's not only natural but physiologically necessary.

No doubt others have different perspectives, and that's just my two cents. smile

Hey Chris,

I also do the lower jaw grab/pinch and firmly say "No bite". I will actually hold pressure until the puppy opens its mouth and tries to pull away. If they continue, I will hold pressure until they whine. The purpose is to let them know that it is completely unacceptable for them to be biting or even putting their teeth on hands. It is important to not to get mean, but be very calm, firm and consistent.

You are not expecting too much. It is very normal for puppies to bite until they learn that it is not okay. They will also increase in biting during teething, but if they know that it is not acceptable to bite hands, it doesn't seem to be a problem. If I were you, I would be very firm with Morgan and not be afraid to pinch his lower jaw pretty hard. Sometimes when they are very persistent I will also fold their lips on their teeth so in a sense they are biting themselves and they are causing the pain. Usually a few pinches in a row and they give up and will look for something else. I will only let go if the puppy opens its mouth and pulls away, indicating that they do not want to bite. If he doesn't get the idea that biting is not okay, then you could have a problem when he is older. If you are consistent, he will get the idea.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Gina

Pretend like it hurts a lot when the pup mouths or bites. Pups that are really mouthy tend to be the ones who were not with there littermates as long. It will not want to hurt you though and normally will still try and bite, but just a little softer seeing if it stil hurts you. Just always act like it does and it might stop. My pup was never very mouthy, but some of my friends pups were. Overall its just another idea to try..time might be the only solution.

I'm slowly learning the mind games you need to play with a pup to manipulate behavior, gotta be 2 steps ahead of them all the time. wink But this mouthing is just getting annoying now. Funny thing is he knows better but its like he can't control it. I'll tell him no and either ignore him or sometimes make him sit, he'll then bark and whine. Him sitting there complaining tells me he knows better, which is why I'm hoping its just a time thing when his teething is done. Or just another week or two of correcting this. I don't know... just a guess.

He's going to be a great dog. He's great around the house and I probably shouldn't say anything but he has yet to chew a piece of furniture. He's got his things he chews on and he seams to stick with that. He loves travelling now too which is great! Put him in the kennel in the truck and he's out, last trip no whining at all (4 hour 40 minute ride).

Gina- 44.4lbs at the vet last Wednesday, he's a monster. smile

I also have done the jaw grab a few times. Though I had gotten a better response with yelping back with the word ouch and a tap on the nose and a verbal no command after the playful mouthing.

I dont know if this is true or not. I was told the word/sound ouch sounds a lot like when the mother weins the pup. All I know is my dog responded/quit very fast to this. On ocasion she would mouth when playing and as soon as she herd ouch she would stop.

When he starts to bite your hands have one of his chew toys ready and constantly give him that when he does this. My lab is now 6 mo. old and she was pretty bad about chewing hands but I kept giving her toys to chew on and that helped a lot. She has most of her adult teeth in and chewing has slowed down - she'll gnaw on her bones now and that is about it.

I did all of the above with my vizsla who is now a little over 7 months. He will still mouth my hands a little but a quick NO command and he's done. And his mouthing now is so gentle that its unbelievable. His mouth is so soft in general now that I've seen him carry around ripe tomatoes and he won't even puncture the skin of the tomato with a single tooth.

Give the little guy some time and I'm sure he'll out grow it. Its just takes patience and diligence on your part.

Pups that are really mouthy tend to be the ones who were not with there littermates as long. It will not want to hurt you though and normally will still try and bite, but just a little softer seeing if it stil hurts you.

I would have to agree with this. We got ours at 7 weeks and she was the last one to evolve (eyes open and come out of the shell so to speak) Ours is about 5 1/2 months and she only did it when she sat by me and then rolled over and wanted to bite/play. Most other times she found other things to entertain herself. I think it also is a form of bonding for the puppy as well?? I let her do it for a while and then the Vet told me to press down on her tounge when she does it. It produces a gag reflex and the dog finds it to be non enjoyable. Not much pressure is needed and it works for that encounter anyway along with a "no". She still tries to do it from time to time, but after the 5 month mark there was a noticeable decrease. Bout the only thing to do is correct and redirect and hope they grow out of it soon.

I dont agree that because a puppy mouths your hand means that it will bite later on. I would have considered our girl a chronic mouther/biter at 2 and 3 months but since we started sending her to puppy daycare (at 4 months) once a week the biting started to tail off a bit too. She is very sociable toward people at the dog park and wants to play with every size dog that is there too.

Yes, I said daycare...I know the lady that runs it and I work with the gal that works there part time so I get the 411 on what she does there. They have 3/4 acre fenced in area and they run around chasing balls and playing most of the day. She comes home on Wednesdays evenings and sleeps for 4 hours straight and when she wakes up she is so mellow...the wife looks forward to Wednesday nights so she can have some peace and quiet in the house. They come to pick up the dog and drop it off...priceless.

We have a four month old puppy who has had a biting issue as well. I carry around his favorite chew toy when I play with him so when he gets mouthy he has something that is okay to chew on. I also give the underside of his jaw a tap just hard enough to close his mouth and say "no" when he tries to bite my hands or ankles. If he doesn't listen to that command, I stop all play and hold his mouth shut. He has already caught on that hands are not okay to bite. Now he mostly just licks, and only needs correction occasionally.

I have the same issue with my pup who is 12weeks. I have read and also been told by the breeder that a good way to fix the problem is to socialize the heck out of the pup with other pups/dogs. It is easier for other dogs to teach your pup that biting is unacceptable.

Some times if she is persistent on biting my hand I will flip her on her back and hold her down until she stops biting and able to rest quitely, also while saying "No Bite". She seems to get the message after that. It also teaches dominance. Though, my pup is still small enough to do that.

Good luck.

In most cases that mouthing is a submissive act similar to fleeing. It'll grow out of it or at least reduce ocurrence. One of our Springers at 9 yrs still does that when he's excited, like when the temps cool and he knows it's hunting season. He gently cradles my hand in his mouth to say I'm here and ready to serve you.