• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how long till i wreck my moter for storage

mrpike1973

what im asking is how long can i go till i cant drain the lower unit i know obviously when it gets to cold for it to flow but i dont have a heated shed should i just put it away now or wait i have a 1975 9.9 johnson when im done running it it will ooze out unburned oil out a hole in the bottom just above the skeeg how do i flush this out is it just unburned oil or is there any water that could be trapped the last marine guy that worked on it said this is normal and not to worry is this correct thanks for any help. ps i have never had any problems with this moter

mrpike, it's 5 min, job! Get your wife or girl friends hair dryer out and warm up the lower unit and drain it now. Don't wait for it to freeze if you think you may have a problem. It will only be a bigger problem next spring! frown

My wife used to fuss over me taking her hair dryer. I guess she didn't like grease on it or something. She bought a new one and I got the old one.

After use leave the motor in the down position. Any water in the power head, water pump, and thur hub prop will drain. If your still using the outboard and worried about water in the lower unit just pop the drain screw and have a look. If the water has separated from the oil it'll be the first thing that comes out. If the oil is milky then you have a leak. Clear oil and you'll be fine. Your choice but if there was a lot of water I'd be draining and replacing even if I intended to use it again this Fall. If your done using the outboard now is when you want to winterize it.

Don't worry about the black oil, that is residue from the exhaust.

The hair dryer will work but don't run it for a extended period of time or it will burn out.

I know as I did it to my wifes and she was not real happy with me.

Perhaps a Buddy heater placed near the lower unit for a bit would do the trick and save the wife's hair dryer smile

A 9.9??!!!! Take the darned thing off, carry it into the basement, hang it on a sawhorse (even a wooden chair), put a foil pan underneath and let 'er drain!!! If my landlord would know of the stuff I tackled in my mobile home's kitchen, he'd spin in his grave! I rebuilt my bike engine, built my first portable fish house and stored my outboard during the winter months!! I was a bachelor.....what did I care!!??? Phred52 BTW... I don't think he's a member of FM. gringrin

Ufatz, Sorry for the confusion confused... The last comment was meant to say "I don't think my departed former landlord is a member of FM". Seriously, a 9.9, you should be able to carry it indoors and do what needs to be done. Do you suspect that the seals are leaking, letting water into the lower unit? If there's no water in the lower unit, you shouldn't damage the motor at all. Phred52 BTW, Ufatz You don't look anything like him. grin

thanks for the replies i took my moter off brought it in my small spear house let the mr buddy run for 15 minutes it came out good and i refiled it i believe im done went to the landing today and my car kept spinning trying to get up the icy ramp my wife thinks im nuts but at least im a funny nut he he