• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rock Bass Roundup

JBMasterAngler

Well, my quest for the state record rock bass came up short this year. My biggest was only about 1 pound frown The bright side was that they sure seemed to put up a fight this year! A couple times while up in brainerd I thought I had a slab crappie on the line. Anyway, how'd everyone else do on the big rockies this year? Any near record?

Funny you should mention the Rock bass.... My seven year old daughter caught the largest Rockbass I have seen to date up around the Brainerd area maybe 5 or 6 weeks ago. We were catching dinner (nice 'gills and crappies) and she had a big hit right at the dock. That thing was not only large length wise but obese. No measurements taken, and the picture my mother-in-law took did not "take" if you know what I mean. If I'm not mistaken the record is at around 2lbs.... this fish was definetly one that could have gone 1 3/4lbs easily.

She was fishing a crawler chunk on a sz 8 circle hook, in about 7-8 fow where a weed bed meets the dock. I normally find the rockies in and around rubble, cobble and submerged logs near cobble and rubble..... this was the first rockie I had seen from this location in almost 15 years of fishing there (at the cabin). A weedy mucky bottom.

What tactics have you been employing in your quest for the record rockie? Do you think the technique you use or the location is going to be the determining factor in your record breaking rockie? Very awesome goal, more power to ya

Well, my quest for the state record rock bass came up short this year. My biggest was only about 1 pound frown The bright side was that they sure seemed to put up a fight this year! A couple times while up in brainerd I thought I had a slab crappie on the line. Anyway, how'd everyone else do on the big rockies this year? Any near record?

so i wasnt the only one searching for the state record.

in total this year i probably got 20 or so 1lb or better. biggest at 1lb 13oz

here is a video i dedicated to the search of the state record.

What tactics have you been employing in your quest for the record rockie? Do you think the technique you use or the location is going to be the determining factor in your record breaking rockie? Very awesome goal, more power to ya

watch my video, there are a few techniques and tips that i use to find and catch my rockbass

I just let the rockies come to me, I don't specifically target them (at least that's what I tell myself). I'll catch them on large jointed rapalas while I'm fishing for pike, or on spinnerbaits for largemouth bass. My theory is, if I actually target rockies I won't catch them.

I just let the rockies come to me, I don't specifically target them (at least that's what I tell myself). I'll catch them on large jointed rapalas while I'm fishing for pike, or on spinnerbaits for largemouth bass. My theory is, if I actually target rockies I won't catch them.

actually try fishing for them, you will be suprised cool trust me

I hate rockbass. Please come to Hubbard Co. anytime and take your limit with you.

I can't stand them either. I hate it when you think you have a decent crappie on the line only to find out its a rock bass!

Or a decent sunnie... or a decent walleye... or a decent....

I cant get away from them! In the lake i fish the most, they are everywhere. Ive caught hundreds this summer on any and all presentations. Would never ever target them, get enough by accident. I would like to see a video on how NOT to catch them. Then i would give you props on being a great fisker.

Ill guide you for rockies... Potato or Fishhook Lake anywhere under 15 feet. Anywhere. With anything. Take some home with you, my dad calls them "Company Crappies" or Iowa Crappies.

When I was a kid we stayed at a resort on Rush Lake near Perham. We got to know a few families there from Iowa after staying there a couple years. Anywho, they always talked about all the big crappies they caught. Well, one day we happened to be in the fish cleaning shack while they came in to clean.... raving about their big Crappies...... when they were actually ROCK BASS! Man we had a good time ripping them for years after that!

Originally Posted By: icefisker
Ill guide you for rockies... Potato or Fishhook Lake anywhere under 15 feet. Anywhere. With anything. Take some home with you, my dad calls them "Company Crappies" or Iowa Crappies.

When I was a kid we stayed at a resort on Rush Lake near Perham. We got to know a few families there from Iowa after staying there a couple years. Anywho, they always talked about all the big crappies they caught. Well, one day we happened to be in the fish cleaning shack while they came in to clean.... raving about their big Crappies...... when they were actually ROCK BASS! Man we had a good time ripping them for years after that!

Ha ha ha! Thats EXACTLY why i call them Iowa Crappies!!! The same thing happened to me.... I was like "Heck of a catch!" With a smug smile smile

excellent thread. I've been chasing the record the last few years. I've seen a few fish that have the genetics to make it to 2+ lbs. but have yet to boat one. I fish in the Brainerd area, as it seems a lot of you with rockbass stories do. There are a lot of them on the Mississippi river. When you find one, you'll find a lot, like Jake's video shows. We put 15 of these chunks in the boat one day in the same amount of minutes, and it would have been faster if we could bait our hooks quicker, and if we had an anchor. we also put a 6-7 lb. pike in the boat in the exact same spot. He was either feasting on the same baitfish the rockies came for, or chasing the rockies himself. I'm strictly catch and release on these uglies until I put a 2.5 pounder in the boat-that one's going to the DNR.

Based on my experience, this is my top 5 trophy rock bass lakes (in no particular order).

1) whitefish lake

2) gull lake

3) big trout lake

4) ten mile lake

5) north long lake

mine are (in no particular order)

1) lake osakis

2) lake le homme dieu

3) annie battle lake

4) lake victoria

5) lake carlos