• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 500 with warn winch issue

germanshorthairs

Check to make sure you have at least 12 volts going to the winch. I had a winch on my Jeep and it did the same thing. When I checked the voltage it read 11.8. I found out that I had to have a minimum of exactly 12 volts (or more) for it to work. Hope this helps.

Check to make sure you have at least 12 volts going to the winch. I had a winch on my Jeep and it did the same thing. When I checked the voltage it read 11.8. I found out that I had to have a minimum of exactly 12 volts (or more) for it to work. Hope this helps.

I didn't see your post.

Good call.

Update, I have 12 volts to the contactor and 0 volts to the winch?? So I think it is the contactor. I checked the warn HSOforum and this one was built by warn for arctic cat and is NOT included in the recall. Not a big deal. My problem now is finding the part. It is not on the warn HSOforum, that I could find and I could not find it on any oem arctic cat websites so I am at a lose. Also, it was starting to squeal(the motor)prior to stopping and I would like to replace brushes, but once again don't know how to get parts other than replacing the whole thing. I will keep u updated. Thanks again!

Well, I got some answers. I have to buy the contactor from arctic cat at ($80). They cannot sell you a brush replacement kit. You have to buy a new motor at ($190). A new 2.5ci winch is only 300 so I may just buy the whole thing.

Surface Tension-where do you buy just the brush kit?? If it is like any other electric motor I am assuming it is a lot less than $190 for a whole motor??? Thanks

It might have been Northern Kawasaki but they recently closed shop. Or NAPA? Let me check with my buddy, it was his winch I was working on and I had him pick it up. He is in Saskatchewan till next week. Arctic Cat btw.

So when you tested for voltage you went to one of the + coming off the conductor that goes to one of terminals on the winch. Other lead you went straight to ground and then tried both in and out, right?

The squeal you mentioned I don't think is a brush issue.

You know you can disconnect the power cables going to the winch and direct connect with a jumper cable to test the motor.