• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Photos & Commentary

Scudly

Nice job roughfish. Did you get hooked on fly fishing? I always keep the rainbows. That is what they are there for. Put and take.

I checked out your three videos on youtube. That last one is interesting. Did you have your camera on your shoulder or something. Nice skinny little water for carp. Looks nice enough for a trout stream. What is your preference for carp? I know some folks that love catching big carp on a fly rod...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think i'll ever target trout with a spinning rod again, i absolutely love getting them on the fly.

the two videos i have of carp were in the vermillion, and my last video i was holding the camera with the same hand i was holding the rod with. i'm really working hard on getting a carp on the fly, so far all i've gotten are quick follows but no takes.

the spot where my last video was taken is the same spot where my friend got a 24" brown trout back in may.

carp fishing in the vermillion is fun, you can catch alot of fish, but rarely do you find fish over 5 pounds (at least where i fish)

Tog you are up early today. Email me and I'll send you the GPS coordinates. You can fish for alternate species in non-designated trout water as long as you are not specifically targeting trout. I was not. Big water catching sauger and northerns. The trout was just a bonus (CPR). Go to Panther Martin's web site and you will see those prized spinners work for all kinds of fish. Wait, you are a spin fisherman and probably already know this.

Here are some pics I took when I was out trout fishing...not too many pictures of fish but that's mostly because the ones I do catch aren't much to brag about...but it's still fun smile

Wild Rainbow

100_0757.jpg

100_0180.jpg

100_0753.jpg

100_0805.jpg

100_0724.jpg

100_0774.jpg

100_0748.jpg

Fat 13" brown trout...nothing huge but still fun to catch

100_0781.jpg

There are more pictures in this album http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39023&id=1165346596&l=3fb1f0f46d but they are lower resolution.

The second picture was taken on the Kinni but, yes the rest were taken on a small metro stream. I'm generally a spinfisherman although I have tried fly fishing, unfortunately I need more practice and on a stream like that I would probably spend more time taking flies out of trees then I would fish...

So is the metro stream worth it? That brown is nice and fat. Any problems with landowners? Seems like the only way in is the mouth of river or to get dropped off at a bridge? Looks like hairy small water. For me it would be difficult to sneak up on trout and not spook them WITHOUT getting out of the one. I always "circle around" when I find a good spot. Then creep into position, sometimes even commando crawl. Fish it more than once? Amazing to catch brooks, browns, and rainbows in rhe Metro. Stream X was on my list but never go there.

I would say it's definitely worth it. I've caught browns, brooks and 'bows there and it's hard to believe it's in the metro. The land all along it is privately owned, but I've never had any problems with the landowners; upstream of the bridge where I go in I've walked about a mile and seen only one house although some of the land is posted for no trespassing. There are areas of the stream where the landowners have run barbed wire across, but it's not too difficult to just crawl under it. I've been there a couple times now and the water is super clear. There are definitely bigger fish in there. A week before the season closed I fished it and you could see plenty of good sized browns. There's a ton of fish of all sizes and the best thing is the stream isn't stocked so they're all wild.

Waterbound that is awesome! I'm going next summer. Plus there are no special regulations so if you want to keep your five you can.

So there were a few deep holes here and there? Chucking spinners or what? Bet you have the whole place to yourself. Most are afraid to fish it for fear of a landowner claiming trespassing. I emailed a CO who said there have been some ugly confrontations in the past.

So rough fish do you have a goal of catching every kind of rough fish in MN or maybe on the planet? So overlooked. A blast to catch. Aside from targeting carp on a fly have you targeted any other roughfish species on a fly? I'd love to see all the different types of roughfish you have caught with labels. Or maybe links to some cool sites? What kind of baits do you use?