• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Netbooks

Duffman

I think they are a great idea. That is basically all I use my laptop for anymore anyways. Just about every application is available online through Google.

Benefits

Less Money

Most have Flash memory which probably means no HDD failure

Most are smaller and lighter in size.

Sorry I can't help with your question, but I see these being the future of sales in the PC world.

They are a cool idea and design. As long as you don't go too overboard and keep the price down, they are a good buy for the basic functions described above. If you pimp one out too far it will often cost you the same as a normal basic laptop that has alot more functionality.

Personally I am not sold on netbooks.

Take an off brand cheaper model like the Acer Aspire One D250. Starting (looking with out a Data plan contract and a carrier discount) is around $299.00.

Here is what you get:

Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz single-core processor, 1GB of memory, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (GMA 950) and 5400RPM 160GB hard disk drive.

IMO, bogas grin

Sure a laptop with dual core is a little bigger, but what you can get for $300 in the laptop world today at a big box store IMO is no comparison (no 2 year data plan contract either wink ) .

IMO they are not that much "smaller" than a conventional "light" laptop. Plus try using one like they use them in the commercials wink From first hand knowledge they are not that easy to use on your lap.

Very small touchpad, various bloatware apps preinstalled, sticking keys are what I have heard from others sources.

I think 3G is not anything I want on a portable PC other than a smart phone. I guess I have almost the same stuff rolling with my Iphone and my laptop is right their if I need it.

Like CJH said, if you have any expectations of a netbook, be prepared to drop some ching. Get an est. on what you what from a netbook and compare what you want from a laptop wink . Then use them and go from their.

Like anything, some will will like it and some will not. I am in the "not" category at this point, unless I win one or get one free. grin Even then i can see my netbook sitting at home. If my Iphone does not do what I want, then it will have to be my laptop, so I just do not see where a netbook would fit in for me.

They look neat though grin

I think it’s easy to get caught up in the “spec” game.

As long as it runs the O/S and Browser software sufficiently and has a decent display and keyboard, that should really be all that matters in a netbook.

I’ve always been a fan of the cheapo laptops myself. I beat the kerap out them until they don’t work anymore, then I sell it for parts on eebay and then buy whatever is on sale. (usually around 3-4 bills). Not the latest or greatest by any means, but then I’m able to treat them that way too. I’ve been able to get approx 3 years on every laptop I’ve owned, even the cheapest ones. All were capable of running the latest (utility) software and even allowed me to do video and photo editing.

With the way these things evolve, it’s no use putting beaucoup bucks into the thing.

As long as it runs the O/S and Browser software sufficiently and has a decent display and keyboard, that should really be all that matters in a netbook.

Exactly!

But when you have a smart phone doing basically the same thing, learn how to use it so it is just as fast (maybe faster after at times) as using a PC, being 1/10 the size of a net book, for me this is just a gimmick (IMO) that will not last. I am sure it is the same with your phone Dtro, but there is nothing I can not do with the internet on my Iphone that I can do with laptop (short of major & MS down loads and some flash programs).

I would say (again this is just for me), a 3G or 4g network card or tether off your smart phone to a laptop is what I would be looking in (tethering for me).

Now, if you do not have a smart phone, or a laptop, want to surf the web via a park bench, maybe a netbook is right up your alley. This is if you do not want higher GB software to use.

I guess a person has to try using a netbook and get a feel for what I am talking about. My honest opinion after using one on a desk and on my lap, I said "no thanks".

The only positive (again to gain this you have to spend more money) is they last pretty long if you upgrade the battery. My laptop set on the best settings and used just as needed will last about 2.5-3 (aprox) hours. A net book with the upgraded battery will last about 4 (aprox), standard about 2-3 (aprox) hours. My Iphone running the net during the day will last pretty much the whole day until put on the charger at night (battery saver setting set correctly).

I had to do it. grin Duffman asked wink

$349.00

Quote:
What's Included

* Acer Laptop with AMD Athlon™ 64 Single-Core Processor

* 6-cell lithium-ion battery

* AC power adapter, power cord

* Owner's manual

Product Features

* AMD Athlon™ single-core processor

Features 667MHz system, 512KB L2 cache and 1.6GHz processor speed.

* 3GB DDR2 memory

For multitasking power.

* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.

* 15.6" WXGA high-definition widescreen display

With 1366 x 768 resolution delivers intense detail and clarity.

* 160GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Offers plenty of storage capacity.

* ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 graphics

Features up to 1919MB of HyperMemory. Supports Microsoft DirectX 9.0 and Shader model 2.0. High-definition audio support.

* Multi-in-1 digital media card reader

Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats.

* 2 USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

* Acer InviLink Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)

Allows for a quick and easy wireless connection to the Internet.

* 10/100 Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector

For quick and easy wired Web connection.

* Weighs 6 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin

For portable power.

* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled

Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

* Software package included

With Adobe Reader, NTI Media Maker and more. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 also included.

* ENERGY STAR qualified

Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.

* AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Athlon, AMD PowerNow!, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

*This model number indicates relative software performance among this AMD processor family.

* **AMD's Enhanced Virus Protection provides additional protection against buffer overflow viruses. AMD and its partners strongly recommend you continue to use third-party anti-virus software as part of your total security solution.

$319.00

Quote:
What's Included

* Acer Aspire One Netbook with Intel® Atom™ Processor

* 6-cell lithium-ion battery

* Software: Adobe Reader 9, Microsoft Works 8.5 and more

* Owner's manual

Product Features

* From our expanded online assortment;

* Intel® Atom™ processor Z520

Features a 490MHz frontside bus, 512KB L2 cache and 1.2GHz processor speed.

* 1GB DDR2 SDRAM

For multitasking power.

* Note: Optical drive not included

Optional external DVD-ROM drive with USB 2.0 interface available (not included).

* 11.6" LED-backlit high-definition WXGA widescreen display

With CrystalBrite technology and 1366 x 768 resolution delivers intense detail and clarity.

* 160GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Offers spacious storage options and fast read/write times.

* Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 500 graphics

For lush images. 2 built-in stereo speakers with high-definition audio and Dolby headphone support.

* Built-in Acer Crystal Eye webcam

Makes it easy to chat with family and friends.

* Multi-in-1 media reader

Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, Memory stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats.

* 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

* Acer InviLink wireless LAN (802.11b/g)

Connect to the Internet without wires.

* Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN

With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.

* Full-size soft-touch keyboard

For comfort while typing.

* Weighs only 3 lbs. and measures just 1" thin

For lightweight portability.

* Long battery life

Of up to 8 hours to give you more time away from an outlet.

* Microsoft XP Home Edition operating system

With Service Pack 3 (SP3) preinstalled provides a stable computing platform.

* Software package included

With Adobe Reader 9, Microsoft Works 8.5 and more. 60-day trial of Microsoft Works office Home and Student 2007 also included.

* ENERGY STAR qualified

Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.

* Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Heck (IMO) just check out the cost if you wanted to up grade XP to Vista Home Premium crazy This case, $30 crazy

Not to mention all the other "major" feature upgrades for that same $30 crazy

What is the trade off? 2-3lb's less and 3" less of screen crazy

Other big notation is with the netbook, NO Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support wink No CD/DVD drive smirk

I'm not sold on the netbooks either. I've only played with them a little bit in the store, but from what I hear the screen resolutiion is so small that if you're browsing the internet you will not get the full width of most webpages so there is alot of sideways scrolling. And the 1/2 size keyboard is another issue if you need to do alot of typing.

Also for a $300 netbook plus 2 year contract all you are able to do is browse the net and get Email. With my $450 dell laptop(with a 15" screen BTW) I can do pretty much anything I want and if I'm on the go I can connect it to my Blackberry (if my phone can't handle what I want to do, which is seldom) via bluetooth and surf the internet, and I'm thru Verizon so I can cancel my $30 a month broadband internet subscrition anytime if I don't see a need for it anymore.

So IMO, unless all you need it for is the ocassional email and web-surfing while traveling, and don't mind the miniature keyboard and screen, I don't see any other reason to buy it.

Actually for a $100 more you can double the laptop (HDD GB's and speed), Dual-Core Processor, web cam, 4 high speed USB's, 64 bit, and list goes on. grin This for the same size and only ounces more in weight. It is just crazy what laptops for under $500 can do now-a-days grin. I paid about $700 bills (at a great deal) for a compact Pasario 2 years ago with the first version of Vista and it had 1/4 of what that $349 one had smirk nice for when you main LT is down, but pretty much even my kids are sick of it grin

I am sure netbooks have their use (kids for X-Mas type thing), but if you do things like I do do with anything like a laptop, a netbook would just be an impulse buy IMO that I would find my self not using.

Now if i had a free upgrade with my cell phone carrier and I was comfortable with the phone I had and their was a free netbook sitting on the table, I would give it a go round. But I never would not upgrade my phone grin

Alright, I'll toss out some personal background.

I HATE cellphones, hate 'em. I've got an ancient one in my truck for the occasional or emergency use. It's never on, and I may use about 7 minutes a month. Like I told the wife, it's a phone...not a leash. She has a crackberry, you know that Corona commercial where the dude skips his phone across the ocean? Well, I've daydreamed about skipping my wifes phone down HWY 494 many a times. laugh

95% of the use of a netbook in my hands would be the internet. BUT Dell does have netbook with a HD TV tuner built in, I could see myself having the netbook out in the boat, and be able to check weather radar for any storms moving in here in the metro or other areas where I might recieve a signal.

I've sat behind a computer working for the last 20 yrs, any computer use for outside of the office is and always has been non-work related. Pure selfish entertainment and info gathering. I just need to update my FFL line-up, surf FM, and get an e-mail from the one or two friends I have.

Duff,

It sounds as a netbook could be a good choice for you then. I would just recommend trying one out first or getting a 100% refund trial period. Short of the lack of features I would be using, the biggest thing I have with netbooks is my man hands and eye sight wink

Which Dell netbook are you looking at? If you you know, do a review search on Youtube and you will get an idea of what the netbook is like.