• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

N.E.F .50 cal muzzle loader

Anyone else have one of these? Man as far as bang for your buck they cant be beat. Stainless barrel tack driver for a little more than $120. I use 120 grains of loose triple 7 FFFG and .45 cal. Hornaday sabots and hit pop can lids at 50 yards and paper plates at 75 yards.(with open sights) Anyone else have different loads and results to compare? Half the fun of these smoke poles is the expirement process grin

i shot a 200 grain sabot red hot our of my austin halleck 50 cal. that mother would flat get it done with a 150 grains behind it. did not want to do it too much, not sure my shoulder would take it.

I hear ya man, the smokepolls arent for the weak of heart...pretty good kick, I have a few black and blue shoulders to prove it wink

and the thing i loved about it we shot it at night and the darn fire that came out the end was truly amazing. i have let a buddy shoot it once he said never again. have you ever seen the 300 grain sabot that is out there? i thought about buying some but not sure i want put that thru the muzzle.

By far the best ML set up is a NEF with the MU plug. The MU plug is a replacement for the factory plug that allows you to shoot primers reliably without the carrier.

That with Buckhorn 209 and you will have NO BLOWBACK and easy cleaning.

Use a 250-300 bullet and about 80gr of Buckhorn 209.

Do a search for "Carrierless 209 Breech Plug" to find more info.

my wife then gf bought me a muzzle loader, after talking about them on a trip one day for christmas. to my surprise she got an austin halleck custom ml. they are now out of business but you can find info online. not only does it weigh a ton, i would be afraid to scratch it or hurt it somehow totting it around. too beautiful to shoot too much. i would love to have a t/c or knight for a knock around gun.